Author Topic: Linkstation Live & Samsung DLNA [LS-CHL (LSLIVEv3)]  (Read 7986 times)

jake

• Calf
Linkstation Live & Samsung DLNA [LS-CHL (LSLIVEv3)]
« on: February 02, 2011, 11:41:47 AM »

Hi,

I have a Linkstation Live (LS_CHL) and a Samsung LE46C650 and am using the Linkstation as a DLNA server for the Samsung over 100Mbps ethernet. This works, but with only the most basic functionality, play & stop, there is no pause, resume ff, rw or thumbnails for video. I have read a number of posts that put this down to Samsung's non-standard implementation of DLNA which I accept... to a degree.

Since the Samsung media server software (Samsung PC Share Manager) will not share media unless it's on a drive local to the PC I decided to give some other media servers a whirl (all installed on Win XP) and sharing media saved on the Linkstation over ethernet.

1) Twonky - Pause/RW/FF all worked, no thumbnails

2) TVMobili - Pause/RW/FF all worked, no thumbnails

3) Serviio - Pause/RW/FF AND thumbnails worked

I'm not all that fussed about the thumbnails, they're a nice to have but the ability to pause is an essential. The results from trying out these other media servers lead me to think that it can't be all that hard to get a DLNA server working properly with Samsung kit. In a few places I have read that some small changes to the config, (below taken from mediatomb config) along the lines of;

transferMode.dlna.org: Streaming

contentFeatures.dlna.org: DLNA.ORG_OP=01;DLNA.ORG_CI=0;DLNA.ORG_FLAGS=017000 00000000000000000000000000

and mapping avi to video/mpeg

will allow a Samsung TV to pause/RW/FF etc. My question(s) therefore are: (a) Has anyone had any luck getting these features to work on a Samsung TV from their Linkstation and (b) Do Buffalo have any plans to improve the media server in the Linkstation to work with Samsung kit? (c) If not, is there any way that you can change this sort of configuration on the Linkstation media server (the config through the web admin is very limited)

Many thanks

jake

• Calf
Re: Linkstation Live & Samsung DLNA [LS-CHL (LSLIVEv3)]
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 06:17:30 AM »

I've come up with a partial solution. After some forum browsing, I found that my Linkstation Live runs Twonky Media Server and that I could access the full configuration at http://LINKSTATIONIP:9050 When I did this and looked at the clients, my Samsung TV was recognised as "Generic DLNA Client". Scrolling through the list of available client types I couldn't find anything for Samsung TVs so I tried a couple of others and found that the settings for PS3 allowed pause/FF/RW to work on the TV! YEAH!

With renewed vigor following my initial success I wondered if there was a way to get thumbnails/chaptering/resume to work. I think the key is in the clients.db configuration file for Twonky, but I don't think Buffalo allow this to be edited directly on the Linkstation. Can anyone confirm this? If not, are there any plans to update Twonky's clients.db file to include proper settings for Samsung TVs?

homersf

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 12:27:11 PM »

Thank you for posting. This solution also worked for me! I have model LS-CH1.0TL and am streaming over a Belkin wireless G router to a Samsung HT-C6600 home theater system. Additionally, I had an issue playing *.mkv files by simply renaming the files to *.mpg. I believe both of these issues are due to an old version of Twonky, as they do not occur with the Samsung media server running on my PC. Also, the stream is interrupted more often from the Linkstation NAS than from other media servers running on my PC. Can one of the moderators shed some light on when firmware including a newer version of Twonky may be released??? 

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 11:22:29 AM »

Is your unit running 1.37 or 1.07 firmware currently? 

jake

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 11:02:26 AM »

Mine is running 1.34, though I didn't see anything about Twonky updates in 1.37. I certainly agree that the issue is with the older version of Twonky. I think that the Linkstations are running 4.4.16 but that 6.x is the current version.

The clients.db file is out of date and doesn't support newer DLNA clients.

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 11:35:11 AM »

You need to update to firmware 1.37 and upate the media server. I doubt that buffalo' version of the media sever is going to show the exact same version that is out publicly. 

ille

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 11:08:52 AM »

Hi everyone,

I updated my LS-CHL V2 to 1.37 yesterday and can verify that it is running an old 4.4.x Version of TwonkyMedia Server. So I ran the trial version of Twonky 6.0.31 RC6 on my Linkstation - and voilą everything went smoothly. My Samsung UE40S870 is recognized correctly, and mkvs play just fine, I'm able to pause and fastforward seamlessly.

The old version of Twonky is still found in usr/local/ and also run by the Buffalo Webinterface, when I enable the MediaServer through the Extensions Tab.

So i have two follow-up question, as I am obviously eager to use Twonky 6.0.31 on my Linkstation.

1) Is there a way to carry the Twonky License that came with the Linkstation over to v6? Twonkymedia does say so on their part, but I can't find the License Key anywhere in the 4.4.x ini file, nor did it come with the packaging of my Linkstation.

2) How do I get the 6.0.31 version to really replace the 4.4.x? Does it suffice to simply overwrite/replace the contents of the Twonky v4 folders with those of the v6?

Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks.

jake

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 11:47:57 AM »

ille - Can I ask how you managed in run Twonky 6.x on your linkstation. I'd happily pay the $19.95 for a new licence.

ille

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 12:23:53 PM »

I haven't found out how to get it to replace the old version yet, so at this point I'm running a very crude, manual startup solution:

I disabled the MediaServer in the Buffalo Interface via the Extensions Tab and used the nassetup.exe that came with the Twonky NAS package, which can be grabbed here:

http://www.twonkyforum.com/downloads/6.0.31-RC6/

The first time I ran it, I checked all three boxes, for later startups I only use the last one, so it just starts. So far this works, but the server will shut down after a few hours, possibly if not used - I haven't yet figured out why it does that.

I will update this post, once I found out how to replace the in-built old twonkymediaserver.

As for the license, it's not so much the money, as the fact that I'm not certain if it will be carried over properly to future installations of twonky v6.

cheers

thewarden

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 05:17:58 PM »

jake wrote:

I've come up with a partial solution. After some forum browsing, I found that my Linkstation Live runs Twonky Media Server and that I could access the full configuration at http://LINKSTATIONIP:9050 When I did this and looked at the clients, my Samsung TV was recognised as "Generic DLNA Client". Scrolling through the list of available client types I couldn't find anything for Samsung TVs so I tried a couple of others and found that the settings for PS3 allowed pause/FF/RW to work on the TV! YEAH!

Ok, this fix worked for me as well. HOWEVER...only until I shut off the unit. Next time I turned it on, back to basics and had to redo these settings again. What do I have to do to make them stick? I don't leave my drive on all the time.

thewarden

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 10:14:05 AM »

No ideas? I've also noticed this happens when I restart the server or refresh in the buffalo web settings. I have to leave the drive on all the time and NEVER refresh in order to keep the settings. It sux.

On a side note, anyone know where I can find step by step guide on how to install an alternate server onto the drive? This would solve my problem for sure.

coaxjim

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 10:11:18 PM »

If anyone is interested, I finally got my Samsung 7000 series TV to be automatically recognised, with pause and FF/FR to work without having to manually set Twonky to PS3.

I am using both a CHLv2 and a XHL, The mods are slightly different for each but basically the same.

First you need access to the root of the NAS. This means telnet in and login as root. You must reset the password, and there are many forums around on that.

I upgraded my firmware using shonk's excellent firmware mod from over at Buffalo Nas-Central (http://forum.buffalo.nas-central.org/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=23603)

If you follow the instructions (reset to default) after updating to this firmware, it does several very nice things, including resetting the root password.

I had no trouble with either the CHLv2 or the XHL.

The object of telnetting in is to modify the 'clients.db' that Twonky uses for DLNA.

Once you find this file, make a backup (with the telnet cp command) and modify the original file.

It is located (from the NAS root) in

CHLv2 - /usr/local/twonky/resources/clients.db (Twonky 4)

XHL - /usr/local/twonky-alt/resources/clients.db (Twonky 5) (case sensitive)

Useful links

Telnet commands - http://kb.blackcoralgroup.net/kblore/article.php?id=071

vi commands (telnet editing) - http://www.cs.colostate.edu/helpdocs/vi.html

If you open up clients.db with vi and scroll up and down the file, it is obvious how the formatting is done.

You can modify one of the current clients in the file, or add a new one, just follow the same formatting as the file.

Twonky V4 format is slightly different than V5, but the info below is the same.

Add (or modify) the follow.

NA:Samgsung TV
DD:Samsung DTV
XM:DLNA15
XM:FORCE_DURATION
XM:FORCE_4TH_FIELD
XM:AARES
DL:MP4DLNA
DX:SAMGSUNGFEATLIST
DB:FIX
MT:mkv video/x-mkv
MT:mpeg,mpeg2,vdr,spts,tp,ts video/mpeg
MT:avi,divx video/avi
HP:chunked

The mods above are a combination of the latest clients.db from Twonky (that didn't work) and experimentation with the PS3 settings

The key to getting the Samsung to pause and FF/FR was the line DL:MP4DLNA

Anyhow, this worked for me, and I looked high and low for a way to do it without any luck.

Best of luck, Oh!  I will not be responsible if you 'brick' your unit.

fistorian

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 04:27:16 AM »

Hi Jake

I've just managed to install TVMobili on my LS-CHL v2. First of all you have to be able to telnet as root to your Linkstation. I installed af modificated firmware from Buffalo @ NAS-Central http://forum.buffalo.nas-central.org/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=23603&hilit=shonk+mods

You have to download the manual install tar-ball for linux. You can find it at the TVMobili page under download for device. There is a read me file in the tar-ball explaining how to do it. If you have problems just e-mail the TVMobili support they are very helpfull. TVMobili makes it possible for me to watch subtitles on my Samsung TV.

oded

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2012, 12:54:51 PM »

no DLNA for me , have a wired network with static ips, my xtreamer-pro and macs and win machine, none see the DLNA content, the TwonkyMedia(v4) resets my clients list once I add my xtreamer mac-addr and save changes.

The current state, is though claiming to have DLNA and iTunes Media server, none work, and so I turned them all disable, annoying and fustrating enough.

If there's anything I am missing here, I'd be glad to be enlightened.