Author Topic: LS-CHL: problem with restricted access folder  (Read 3452 times)

Topolaccio

• Calf
LS-CHL: problem with restricted access folder
« on: December 20, 2008, 10:21:54 AM »

Hi, I've created a new folder using the web administration page and I enabled restriction access. Then I've choosed a user from the user-list and I've moved it in the read/write box.

With this procedure I'm aspecting that only the user that I've choosed can access to the new folder.

So under Vista64 I browsed my home-network using Explorer and when I double-clicked on my new folder I had to write user name and password. I obviously typed the name and pwd of the authorized user, but Windows told me that I don't have the permission to access that folder.

What's wrong with my LinkStation (firmware 1.02)? Have I missed something?

Thanks.

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: LS-CHL: problem with restricted access folder
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 12:42:12 PM »

This is a vista issue,

Try this 

Can't connect at all with Vista

Causes: Vista defaults to only send the more secure NTLMv2 protocol, which these NAS devices / Samba do not support.

Fixes: Go to Start -> Run -> "secpol.msc". Then goto Local Policies -> Security Options. Find "Network Security: LANManager authentication level". Change the setting from "Send NTLMv2response only" to "Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security ifnegotiated". Save the setting and then reboot the computer.

Note: Buffalo has a download that does the same thing,but it involves messing with the registry by incorporating a ".reg"file. It is much better (and probably easier) to just use the abovesteps.

New Note: Seems some copies of Vista do not have"secpol.msc", probably the Home versions(Home Basic and Home Premium).These users will either need to use the download from Buffalo or go into their Registry editor.

Regedit instructions:
  1. Start->Search Bar or Run and enter "regedit"
  2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->SYSTEM->CurrentControlSet->Control->Lsa
  3. Right-click on "lmcompatibilitylevel" and choose Modify
  4. Set the Value Data to 2 (default is 3) and click OK
  5. Exit regedit and reboot
  6. Try to connect again

Can't login using a user name on a restricted share

Causes: Possibly due to cached passwords or different password/name resolution in Vista.

Fixes: Try connecting to "\\IPAddress" instead of"\\NASName". Also, try using "WorkgroupName\UserName","\\NASName\UserName", or "\\NASIPAddress\UserName".

Fixes: Try going into the command prompt and entering(without quotes) "NET USE \\[IP or NetBIOS name of NAS]\[folder that isbeing restricted] /d" and then try logging into the share again.

Topolaccio

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 08:48:33 AM »

None of these solutions worked.

I've done some tests under XP32 and Vista64 (dual boot machine). These are the conditions:

- I've created the folder A with restricted access only for the 'admin' user (read/write)

- I've created the folder B with restricted access only for user X (read/write)

- I've created the folder C with restricted access only for user Y (read/write)

I've noticed the following (the same for both the O/S):

1) If I log the folder A, B or C with the right user THE FIRST TIME I boot up the system, the access is permitted. If I close the Exporer window and try to open the folder another time, I don't have to type the user name and password again. The access to that folder is always permitted untill I reboot the machine.

2) If I log the folder A, B or C with the right user I cannot log another folder in that Windows session. If I've obtained the access to the folder B for the user X, if I try to log to the folder C with the user Y I get the error message. I can't log to another folder untill I reboot the machine.

3) If I intentionally try to log to a folder with a wrong user I cannot log to ANY folder in that Windows session. I've to reboot the machine and try to log correctly, but ALWAIS to one folder at time (for each Windows session).

I've experienced the same behaviour both in XP32 and Vista64 environments.

The result is that I cannot use the restricted access functionality.

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 01:09:12 PM »

This is due to your PC "remembering" the login

You can go under my compute/tools/map network drive.

In this screen you can map as a different user or tell windows to log you on automatically. 

Also you can map several drives if needed.