Author Topic: Linkstation Pro Duo Access Problem - LS-WT1.0GL/R1  (Read 4234 times)

scater1983

• Calf
Linkstation Pro Duo Access Problem - LS-WT1.0GL/R1
« on: December 20, 2008, 10:15:12 AM »

Hi guys,

Im having a issue connecting to my Buffalo Linkstation Pro Duo (LS-WT1.0GL/R1) via my wireless network. The unit works fine when hard wired connection is used. I can access web interface, all my files etc. On wireless, no chance!

Laptop is Windows Vista Business SP1 with all updates & latest drivers for all hardware.

The Device is assigned an IP address via DHCP (This address has been configured as a reservation in the DHCP Pool)

I have ensured that:

·         All Anti-Virus / Firewall software has been disabled

·         NETBIOS is enabled on my Wireless Network Connection

·         File & Printer Service is installed and enabled

·         The Web Admin address has been added to my Trusted Sites Zone in Internet Explorer 7

·         The “Mapped” Network drive is confirmed as working when using a hard wired connection from my NIC

·         I have tried with No Encryption  / WEP / WPA / WPA2 encryption on my wireless access point.

The authentication is confirmed as working as i can connect to the drive as a network share on the cable.

I can ping the device, it will appear as a device in network & sharing centre. just won't connect :(

I have also tried the usual, turned it off, pressed the function button while turning it on then pressing again 30 seconds later.

ANY help someone could provide would be great. Spent an Hour on hold to the help line this morning but no answer, guess they all on christmas parties etc! Unfourtunately using a "cable" is NOT an option for me. I simple used that to ensure fastest possible trasnfer speed of my data.
Message Edited by scater1983 on 12-20-2008 10:27 AM

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: Linkstation Pro Duo Access Problem - LS-WT1.0GL/R1
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 12:40:17 PM »

Try mapping via IP address and not host name.

then try it in safe mode with networking. 

scater1983

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 03:19:55 PM »

hi,

thanks for your reply. tried both of those already unfourtunately. the connection just times out as normal.

im pretty certain its the box because the same thing happens on my other deskop machine. worked all ok after initial setup on cable for transfer. took that out, tried wireless. nothing :(

Message Edited by scater1983 on 12-20-2008 03:22 PM

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 09:03:39 AM »

Can you Ping the ip of the buffalo from any machine?

start run <type> CMD <press enter>

<type in dos promt> ping (ip_of_buffalo)

scater1983

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 07:21:17 AM »

hi, thanks for the reply.

I have now sorted this issue. I tested the NAS box with Ubuntu 8.10 & windows XP SP3 and it works fine. Looks like a windows vista problem. which is a shame to say that it quite clearly states that vista is supported on the box.

The problem occured on both a 32-bit version of Vista Business & 64-bit version of ultimate. The wireless hardware works flawlessly with ubuntu and XP. 

I am aware of the Lan manager settings etc, although its quite strange how it works fine "on a cable" and those local policy settings apply to the whole machine. i am intrigued as to why it doesnt work but as yet i dont have an answer. i will have a play with a vista install and see if i can find the issue. i must admit i am quite dissapointed in buffalo and i dont think i will purchase any of their products again, even some of the FAQ articles are "dutch-lish" at best. 

That aside, many thanks for your time and patience paul.

cheers

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 09:15:04 AM »

I will post a few things that have helped in the past

solution: after cmd -> "net view \\ipaddress" returned an errorstating that the workstation was not started, checkservices.msc and found out that "workstation" is a windows service. inmy case, it was disabled. once enabled/started, shares could be viewed.

Causes: Vista defaults to only send the more secure NTLMv2 protocol, which these NAS devices / Samba do not support.

Fixes: Go to Start -> Run -> "secpol.msc". Then goto Local Policies -> Security Options. Find "Network Security: LANManager authentication level". Change the setting from "Send NTLMv2response only" to "Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security ifnegotiated". Save the setting and then reboot the computer.

Note: Buffalo has a download that does the same thing,but it involves messing with the registry by incorporating a ".reg"file. It is much better (and probably easier) to just use the abovesteps.

New Note: Seems some copies of Vista do not have"secpol.msc", probably the Home versions(Home Basic and Home Premium).These users will either need to use the download from Buffalo or go into their Registry editor.

Regedit instructions:
  1. Start->Search Bar or Run and enter "regedit"
  2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->SYSTEM->CurrentControlSet->Control->Lsa
  3. Right-click on "lmcompatibilitylevel" and choose Modify
  4. Set the Value Data to 2 (default is 3) and click OK
  5. Exit regedit and reboot
  6. Try to connect again

Can't login using a user name on a restricted share

Causes: Possibly due to cached passwords or different password/name resolution in Vista.

Fixes: Try connecting to "\\IPAddress" instead of"\\NASName". Also, try using "WorkgroupName\UserName","\\NASName\UserName", or "\\NASIPAddress\UserName".

Fixes: Try going into the command prompt and entering(without quotes) "NET USE \\[IP or NetBIOS name of NAS]\[folder that isbeing restricted] /d" and then try logging into the share again.