Author Topic: Return of an Item to the seller, security of data on the drive.  (Read 1991 times)

Jeffmorgan

• Calf

Linkstation live LS-CH2.0TL.

The unit is dead. I have been through a few days of email exchange with the support desk so that is not what I am after here. I contacted the vendor with a question about security of the returned item should I choose that, well known on line chain, and they have instigated a replacement before I could say anything and require the faulty unit in return. I am guessing the Buffalo support desk does not work weekends as I have not had a reply to this particular query so trying here.

So, part of my exchange with support was trying to flash the new firmware and I was unable to access the web settings with default passwords. The drive has some information such as passwords and utility bills and all my iTunes and photo's on (everything is backed up elsewhere). It ended when I was following one of the processes sent to me and the unit refuses to fire up. No lights. But I am aware there is still a hard drive in there somewhere.

How easy is it to recover should this end up being recycled or not destroyed as be the vendors claim? At the very least I will change all passwords anyway.

Apologies if I am a bit green on this. This is not my day job.

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: Return of an Item to the seller, security of data on the drive.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 09:21:42 AM »

You should remove the drive from the case and format the drive. I'm nots sure what the retailer will do but if they do return it to Buffalo then Buffalo will destroy the drives.

Jeffmorgan

• Calf
Re: Return of an Item to the seller, security of data on the drive.
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 03:33:35 AM »

OK. Understood, thought it might come to that but I was not sure how these beasties work. Thanks. Will try a wipe of the thing.