Author Topic: Terastation Live slows down massively after writing about 20GB of data  (Read 1971 times)

robotron

• Calf

I posted another question yesterday, but since then a new issue has cropped up. I have a TS HS-DGTL which I am running with four 2terabyte WDEARS Caviar Green drives in standard mode (no RAID as I found it was slowing things down even more).  They are connected to a wired gigabit ethernet network to a laptop runnings Windows 7.

At first, I thought the drives was working pretty well and I was getting 15-20MB/S transfer speeds. However, I have found when copying a 400GB folder that after about 20GB, the copy speeds slow down a LOT. They start at 15-20MB/S and slow down to 5MB/S or worse. Quite inexplicable.

I have tried reinstalling firmware and resetting the device, I have tried adjusting the ethernet frame size, but I am still having issues. 

Has anyone ever had a problem like this?  

I have to admit I am on the verge of abandoning this device.

drmemory

• Big Bull
Re: Terastation Live slows down massively after writing about 20GB of data
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 04:59:57 PM »

these are 4k sector drives, correct?

What capacity drives are they?

What firmware revision are you running on the TS Live?

robotron

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 08:38:02 PM »

These are the drives - I am not sure about the block size but they are 2TB

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Intellipower-Desktop-WD20EARS/dp/tech-data/B002ZCXK0I/ref=de_a_smtd

I am running the latest firmware (2.14 i think?)- I don't think there's been an update for years? 

Thanks

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 08:56:47 AM »

The TS-Live was original designed for 512, not 4k, but should work with 4k. It may be a little slower with 4k. The hard drive size is a different issue.

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 12:02:51 PM »

Also you might have upgraded the drives to a size too large. I think this unit can only safely handle 4TB. I never saw a unit made of this model that went up to 8TB. 

Speeddymon

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 07:53:04 PM »

The biggest HS-DHTGL/R5 is the HS-DH8.0TGL/R5, so the issue is not one of drive size.

Can I assume that this 400GB folder has various subfolders with different sized files in it?

Do some of the folders have many (thousands possibly) of small files in them, while others have just a few large files in them?

A folder with 100GB of jpg/gif images will copy much slower than a folder with 100GB of ISO images from CD and DVD media, so the likely reason you see the slow down is because of hitting some folders with lots of smaller files in them. When the copy process gets to some folders further down the list with bigger files in them, then it should speed up again.

The highest capacity Terastation Live, ever sold by Buffalotech USA is the HS-DH4.0TGL/R5. We don't even have a part number for a 6 or 8TB TS Live in our database (never had a part number, so never manufactured it in the USA) - drmemory