Author Topic: Connected Directly, but can't find it  (Read 4374 times)

dgalfano

• Calf
Connected Directly, but can't find it
« on: December 19, 2008, 03:37:57 PM »

Trying reaaaaally hard to be patient with this NAS drive and not throw it in the garbage, but it is insanely driving me nuts. 

I had it (Linkstation Live 320GB) working (somewhat) about a year ago, backing up my MacBook Pro...although it would not always show up in my network places.  

I had 2 an HP and my MBP automatically backing up to it and it got filled up.  I didn't have the right Acronis setting so it filled up too fast. I shut it off for a good 7 months, but want to get it back online, and start fresh.  More importantly, I just need to backup some files from another drive so I can fix it.  So I'm bypassing the switch and plugging the NAS directly into the Mac via cat5 cable.  When I opened NASNavigator it finally was able to recognize the drive, but I couldn't view the shares or backup any files to the drive.  Now when I open NASNavigator, it's all greyed out with no information.

I have no idea what to do to get this stupid drive to show up on my computer so I can back up some files.

Can anybody help?

dgalfano

• Calf
Re: Connected Directly, but can't find it
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 04:56:56 PM »

Update - I plugged the NAS drive back into the Switch and connected my MacBook Pro back into the switch and now I get my data in NAS Navigator...but if I click on View Shares it says network was not found. Please make sure the cable connection.  I have no idea what that means.

Where do I go from here to get access to the drive?

dgalfano

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 09:06:39 AM »
   Please, anybody? I need to get back to work

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 12:38:41 PM »

The drive will default to 192.168.11.150

You are going to have to set a static IP on your PC/Mac to 192.168.11.10  subnet 255.255.255.0

Then it should work fine.

dgalfano

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 08:15:00 AM »
   And how would I do that?

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 11:50:59 AM »
What operating system do you have?

dgalfano

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 03:03:54 PM »

MacBook Pro (Leopard) - would be backing up THESE files.  I also have XP running via Parallels, and use some windows software to work with files that are stored on Mac side. 

When I was researching how to fix, I found a lot of posts about firmware something or other...but when I open NasNavigator, it doesn't say anything by firmware.  Plus the WorkGroup says Unknown.    Just throwing out more information if it's useful.

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 04:13:36 PM »

how to set a static ip in xp

You need to force the firmware on the unit

1 down load the firmware from buffalotech.com

2 set your static in xp

3 run the firmware update (unzip the files and run the .exe)