Author Topic: LS-CH500L Could not open shared folder following power outage  (Read 4169 times)

therealmc

• Calf
LS-CH500L Could not open shared folder following power outage
« on: January 19, 2011, 02:03:59 PM »

Apologies if I am covering old ground - I have looked through some existing posts and can't see exactly the same problem as mine.

Power to the Linkstation was switched off - I guess it happened while the unit was running because NASNavigator now reports "Could not open shared folder. Confirm drive status". I can access the web interface and Disk Check reports no problems.

Assuming that the firmware had been corrupted I updated to v1.07 (successfully) but still no good.

When booting there is one long red light amongst a host of flashing blues until it all settles down looking for all the world like nothing is wrong - except that neither NASNavigator nor Windows can access 'share'.

Help anyone?

Thanks

Martin

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
Re: LS-CH500L Could not open shared folder following power outage
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 10:53:53 PM »

Try accessing the shares by typing "\\IP" in the run command (IP being the IP address of the linkstation).

therealmc

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 01:39:42 AM »

Hmm thanks however.....

Windows cannot access \\192.168.0.101

Error code 0x80070035

The network path was not found.

I have of course tried to access with the firewall turned off so I can confirm that is not the problem. What next?

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 05:33:36 AM »

What is the IP address of the computer?  Are you getting any error/info lights blinking on the front?

therealmc

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 07:16:01 AM »

Ok, so the wi-fi router is 192.168.0.1 and the computer is 192.168.0.108.

Boot up takes about 1 minute 50 seconds in total starting with regular flashing blue for about 24 seconds then a solid red (orange?) for 6 seconds then more flashing blue until you get a steady blue.

The NASNavigator front page tells me all the Workgroup/IP Address/Subnet Mask/Default Gateway/MAC Address/Firmware details.

No error message is shown.

I can access the Web Settings screen.

McAfee firewall recognises when the dirve is on/off line.

Thanks in advance for you help on this - it is appreciated.

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 10:05:15 AM »

Can you access it from a PC that is not running McAfee? You  may need to initialize the settings on the drive to fix the error. You can do this from system, maintenance and then initialization. Then just restore setting to factory defaults. 

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 10:05:41 AM »

Also are you able to access other PC's public folders from this PC?

therealmc

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 12:37:02 PM »

Why hadn't I tried accessing the Buffalo from another pc before?

Yes I can see the share folder and all the subfolders/files from one of the other pcs on our home network so things are looking up in that at least the drive is not dead.

I guess I now need to "initialise the settings" as you say but I'm not sure where I go to find system> maintenance> initialisation.

Probably me being stoopid!

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 01:04:06 PM »

You have to open a web browser and type in the units ip address. When you log in you will be able to go to maintenance and then initialization. If you have the red firmware its under system, then restore/format and then choose restore. 

therealmc

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 12:41:03 PM »

Right I'm back after work got in the way - tsk!

Going back to Jotin's question about accessing other PCs Public folders the answer is 'no'. It can see another Windows 7 PC but can't access it and it can't even see a laptop running XP. That other Windows 7 PC can see and access both the laptop and the Linkstation.

I have done the initialisation thing but it has made no difference.

McAfee now uninstalled but makes no difference.

Interestingly Media Player can see and play music files on the Linkstation!

Using Windows Network Diagnostics the issue is described as "Windows can communicate with the name resolution server but can't find the host name" - any ideas; do I need to start looking through the Microsoft knowledgebase?

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 01:11:31 PM »

If you try to access the nas by going to start and then typing in \\theipaddressoftheip  (which can be found in the nas navigator) and pressing enter, what error does it give you? If this doesn't work, there must be some kind of corrupt service or process on your PC and your best bet would be to go to answers.microsoft.com 

therealmc

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2011, 04:16:15 PM »

The message is:

"Windows cannot access \\192.168.0.101"

Error code: 0x80070035

The network path was not found.

Thanks for you help, I'll try answers.microsoft.com as you suggest

lancer

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 09:45:57 AM »

something in my Win7 configuration has changed and I can no longer browse my shared folders on my LS NAS drive (HD-HGLAN 250MB).  I can browse the NAS shares from other computers in the network, and map a drive to the folders, I can also log into the web interface from my problem PC, I just can't view it as a share and thus can't map a drive letter to the folder.

Does anyone have suggestions for where to look within windows to troubleshoot the problem.  It seems to be isolated to Windows at this point.

Thanks in advance

Lancer