Author Topic: Pro Duo LS-WV 2TB streaming video to PS3 (Playstation 3) issue  (Read 2038 times)

vince480

• Calf
Pro Duo LS-WV 2TB streaming video to PS3 (Playstation 3) issue
« on: January 02, 2011, 07:42:46 AM »

Drive: Buffalo Linkstation Pro Duo LS-WV2.0TL/R1-EU (2TB)

Firmware version: 1.37(DTCP-IP:1.40-20101129)

RAID 0

I use the MediaServer in both my Buffalo drives to stream music and video to my PS3 (Playstation 3). My original LS-XHL 1TB seems to work flawlessly. However my new LS-WV 2TB seems to have problems playing video content back on the PS3. All the folders and files are visible in the PS3 XMB, however when I try to play a file the error message 'File corrupt or not compatible' seems to occur.

Again, all my settings for the media server in both Linkstations are identical. I have reinstalled the firmware and made sure the DTCP-IP has been updated and the databases are refreshed. Rebooted both the server and drive. With no luck so far.

Video files are generally all .avi's encoded with DivX or Xvid.

What is odd, is when I check the file properties via the PS3, it claims the file sizes are a fraction of what they actually are on the buffalo drive (when checked via PC file properties or Mac OS file properties). i.e. a 730mb file on the Buffalo Drive only shows up to be 24mb when accessed via the PS3.

Any ideas please folks?

Cheers

Vince

CapnSmith

• Buffalo
Re: Pro Duo LS-WV 2TB streaming video to PS3 (Playstation 3) issue
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 11:36:38 AM »

Vince480,

You could try refreshing the databases again, and initialize the database at the same time, under the refresh database options, you'll see check-boxes for both these options.  Also, it is a good idea to reset the unit to factory defaults and re-configure the unit after a firmware update, as this will make sure you have no old settings making calls to portions of the firmware that are outdated and may cause problems.

vince480

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 03:54:36 AM »

Hi there CapnSmith,

Thanks for this prompt response, unfortunately I have tried these procedures as you have suggested in other threads. However as mentioned in other threads, there is no 'initialize database' check box under the refresh now button. It may have been there on a previous firmware version?

I have restarted, reinstalled, restored and rebooted the drive, server and databases numerous times with no luck!

Would this problem be linked to DTCP-IP with the Linkstation and my PS3?

What I can't get my head around is the fact my LS-XHL 1TB has no problems at all, however the LS-WV 2TB with exactly the same software, firmware and settings as the LS-XHL does not work! weird?

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 05:26:03 AM »

Other users have done this with successfull results.

1. Login to linkstation administration web page.
  2. Under the menu "Network->Setting->IP Address Setting", disable DHCP on Linkstation Duo and assign static ip instead.
  3. Specify primary and secondary dns ip address given by your Internet Service Provider.
  4. Under the menu "Extensions->MediaServer", disable Media Server(without doing this, my experience is that DTCP-IP won't update. It just keeps going into that updating-rebooting cycle).
  5. Still under MediaServer menu, enable auto-update. Enable refresh (I specified 30minutes refresh). Refresh now.
  6. At your router, enable portforwarding to the static-ip you specified in Step 2. External port number should be 80 but can be others as long as it is mapped to port 80 of the static-ip.
  7. Click "Update DTCP-IP". MediaServer should be updated now.
  8. Enable MediaServer.

vince480

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 06:36:47 AM »

Hi Josh,

This sounds promising,

I had already setup static IPs, so this part is fine, however I have a quick query with steps 4. onwards. How can steps 5 and 6 be achieved if you have disabled the media server in step 4 (as the auto update and enable refresh are then greyed out)? Or is step 8. Enable MediaServer, meant to come earlier?

Many thanks for your help.

Regards,

Vince

vince480

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 01:45:57 PM »

Josh,

Any chance of a reply to my above question re. steps 5 and 6?

Many Thanks,

Vince

vince480

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 06:37:02 PM »

Not sure if Josh is still viewing this thread, if not can another support person please reply to the above question, I would really like to know what the correct procedure for the above is, as the original support suggestion is clearly flawed!

Thank you