Author Topic: Linkstation Pro Duo Upgrade failed with apc-state-failure  (Read 4871 times)

csteinbeck

• Calf
Linkstation Pro Duo Upgrade failed with apc-state-failure
« on: December 19, 2008, 07:45:43 AM »

An attempt to update the firmware of my Linkstation Pro Duo (LS-W1.OGTL/R1-EV) to Firmware revision 3.07 after a successful start aborted with the error message "apc-state-failure". Now, the linkstation does not boot properly and the red "i" blinkenlight flashes in blocks of six shortly after booting and the machines doesn't show up on my local network anymore. 

Any help would be greately appreciated :-)

Merry Christmas,

Christoph

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: Linkstation Pro Duo Upgrade failed with apc-state-failure
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 10:14:28 AM »
You can try the tftp boot, (search the forum for tftp) this will give you step by step instructions as well as the links to the software.

csteinbeck

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 02:58:38 PM »

Well, to be honest, searching for tftp was not very fruitful. Hours of searches on the net brought me a little further, but a slightly more detailed help would have been great.

First of all, I could not find a hint on how to boot this bl**dy machine into tftp mode but it seems that pressing the "func" button after the red "i" starts flashing does something.

I found a tftp server with a uimage.bufallo but when the linkstation goes into what I think might be EM mode, I get the message 

Client 192.168.11.150:somevaryingport C:\Users....\uImage.buffalo timeout

"somevaryingport" is varying.

This also happens when I switch of the windows firewall (windows vista ultimate) . I've got no anti virus software.

Any idea would be appreciated.

csteinbeck

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 07:24:06 AM »

Update:

I managed to my PC (WinXP, running tftp) to react to the LinkStation's request. 

It now says "Client 192.168.11.150 ...stuff ommitted ...11026 Blocks served".

Afterwards, my LinkStation seems to listen on its "old" IP address 192.168.1.210 again but a web browser directed to this address returns a "The connection was refused when attempting to contact 192.168.1.210".

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 12:52:50 PM »

Try to flash the firmware at this point.  Also here is a link to what you need

TFTP

csteinbeck

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 07:08:25 AM »

Apologies - should have been more explicit. I did of course try to flash the firmware at this stage but got the message that no machine to be updated was found.

Is there a change to send the linkstation to service *without* a loss of data on my disk?

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 08:58:48 AM »
I would contact support and set up an advanced RMA.  This way you can put your old drives into the new unit and recover data.  It is possible that the rom chip is bad.