Author Topic: Apple devices and Web Access  (Read 2136 times)

ginerjm

• Calf
Apple devices and Web Access
« on: January 06, 2011, 05:45:41 PM »

I have read the 16 pages (!) of postings on not being able to see files via web access from your iphone or ipad.  Those messages (user not allowed....) are annoying, especially if you simply mis-typed your credentials.  That's what I did and now they are permanently remembered by my apple devices and can only be corrected when I change the password.

Seems like the solution is on the Buffalo Tech end here.   Simply ask for the credentials every time one enters the site.  This lack of a request for them is fine for those who typed them in correctly the first time  OR for those who only have one set of credentials.  In my case I have two shares with different creds for each and I can't get at the other share even once I've corrected my mis-typing and can access one of the shares.  Forever after I am doomed to seeing only one share.  If this is too difficult to change, then add a Logout button that erases the cookie (?) that apparently stays around and silently authorizes us.

my box is :

LS-CL8E

firmware 1.07

my iphone 4 is running IOS 4.2.1.(8c148)

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: Apple devices and Web Access
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 12:59:28 PM »

To fix this what you can do is you can add a share with no files in it with no security and you can enter that and press the logout button once your in that folder on your apple device. Once you do that you'll be able to sign into your other shares. 

ginerjm

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 01:51:21 PM »

I don't even have a logout button on my PC.  You sure there's one on the iphone interface?

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 02:00:24 PM »

I'm pretty sure I had the same issue as you and when I created a share with no access restrictions and entered that folder on the phone there was either a log out or login options where I could use the new user with the correct credentials. 

ginerjm

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 02:10:19 PM »

thanks for the info, but I already have two shares and the site doesn't ask me for credentials.  I don't see how adding a new one will cause it to change behavior.  And there definitely is NO logout button visible on the screen I'm seeing on my pc.

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 06:00:01 PM »

ok, so your talking about accessing web access on the iphone 4 from safari right?

ginerjm

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 08:59:13 AM »

Yes - that's correct.

ginerjm

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 09:22:45 AM »

ok - new day, new attempts.

I modified my password on my web admin tool and then went to my iphone.  Upon entering the url and my personal box's name, I was prompted for my credentials.  Entered them (with the new password) and I get the message 'user  is not allowed access to this share'.  In fact, the id i'm using is my main id (not 'admin') and has access to both of my Buffalo shares.

Further testing revealed that (after changing the password again) if I entered an incorrect password, the safari client detected it and prompted me again for the correct creds.  Did this several times with the same response.  When I finally entered the correct password, it was apparently accepted, but I'm again told 'user is not ....'  .

I modified my safari settings on my phone to accept all cookies, and to stop blocking pop-ups.  Neither of these had an effect.

It appears that Iphone's safari doesn't want to talk to buffalo boxes.

Meanwhile - my ipad does connect - EXCEPT I can't modify the userid once I get logged in.  I connected using my r/o userid and now I don't get prompted for credentials on the ipad.  There is no logout button, so the only way to 'change' accounts is to connect to the webadmin and modify th epassword on this userid and then go back to my ipad and attempt to connect, which gives me a userid prompt once again.  Silly, silly, silly.

One - something's up with the iphone not being able to access.

Two - Buffalo Tech needs to provide a logout feature on it's web screen.