Author Topic: Can't Access LinkStation Pro Duo from Buffalonas.com outside of home network.  (Read 3593 times)

bribor

• Calf
   I've spent hours now trying to figure this out, including on the phone w/ Buffalo tech and Belkin (maker of my  N1 router).  I can access my Linkstation from the web only when on my home network.  When outside of the network, I get an error page.  I've tried enabling UPnp, then manual port forwarding, then DMZ, turning the router's firewall off, updating firmware on router and version 3.08 on Linkstation all to no avail.  Anyone have anything else I can try?  I got this product so I can access my files from work and also share with friends, but haven't been able to do that.  Thanks for any help you can offer. 
Message Edited by bribor on 12-17-2008 06:57 PM
Message Edited by bribor on 12-17-2008 06:57 PM

nyarrgh

• Calf
   I had a similar problem previously.  Make sure your home ISP or where you are connecting from is not blocking the port/s being used. 

Matt_M

• Buffalo
It sounds like one of a couple things is happening here, either your router is not forwarding ports properly, your ISP is blocking the ports used on their end or it could be an issue with dual NAT layers. Given that you've spoken with Belkin on this I'll assume they checked port forwards, but do you have the Belkin plugged into another router (such as a Vonage unit) or a router/modem (such as a 2wire or speedstream)? If this is the case make sure all router functions on there are disabled. Given that you can hit it from within the network the Web Access feature is definitely up and running, so it is most likely something going on with port security.

bribor

• Calf
   Ok, I think I'm onto something now thanks to your help.  I found online which ports Comcast blocks, and doesn't seem to include the ones I'm using.  However, I do have a box from Vonage that's in front of the router which does have its own firewall and is acting as DHCP server.  I spent some time last night trying to reconfigure Vonage's box  - firewall off, etc.  Then tried to connect to LinkStation through my neighbor's connection (has come in handy when I need to check connection outside of home network); but still doesn't seem to work.  My next attempt will be to move the Vonage box behind the Belkin router, give it a static IP, disable firewall, do port forwarding for it, etc.  Hopefully I don't completely botch my phone service AND INternet!  I'm above my paygrade here, but feel like I'm onto something finally!