Author Topic: Help Please - Linkstation and XP  (Read 2807 times)

Mike77

• Calf
Help Please - Linkstation and XP
« on: December 28, 2010, 01:07:05 PM »

Hello,

I'm going crazy.  I just bought a 1TB Linkstation (LS-CHL), and I'm having issues getting it networked on all computers. 
I have 1 Vista Laptop and 1 XP Desktop.  The laptop is good to go.  It can read/write to the drive and print wirelessly.  However, I'm stuggling with the XP Desktop.
I have NAS installed on the desktop, and it can "see" the Linkstation.  However, when I click on it in NAS, I get the following "Could not open the shared folder.  Confirm drive status".  If I ping the drive from the desktop, it sees it.  I'm not a networking guy...Any suggestions please?  Does XP need to be setup a certain way?  I have my firewall and antivirus turned off.
Thanks!

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
Re: Help Please - Linkstation and XP
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 05:59:38 AM »

Try accessing the folder by going to start > run and typing in "\\IP" (IP being the IP address of the linkstation).  This should bring up your shares.

Mike77

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 12:52:25 PM »

Thanks, but no luck.

I type that in with correct IP and get "No network provider accepted the given path"  It worked fine on the laptop, but not on the desktop with XP.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 12:43:46 AM »

What is the IP of both the computer and LS?  It sounds like a network configuration issue.

Mike77

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 12:55:13 PM »

XP Desktop: 192.168.1.100

LS: 192.168.1.106

I've tried connecting to it from another XP machine, and same issue.  So far, only working with the Vista laptop.  I've tried reinitializing, uninstalling and started the install with the XP machine first, still no luck.   Like you, I have a feeling it's a network issue.  I took the security off the wireless network to test that and it didnt make a difference.

Suggestions?

Mike77

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 01:00:01 PM »

I get this error on the other XP machine when trying to access with \\192.168.1.106

"the specified network name is no longer available"

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 12:44:04 AM »

What kind of firewalls/anti virus software are you running?  Also what service pack XP are you running?