Author Topic: Failure Browsing Shares in Windows 7 (0x80070035)  (Read 13535 times)

luniv04

• Calf
Failure Browsing Shares in Windows 7 (0x80070035)
« on: January 01, 2011, 07:38:52 PM »

I am trying to connect my Windows 7 Enterprise to a Buffalo Technology LinkStation LS-WX2.0TL/R1 Network Storage Server.  I have tried connecting to this server through a wired connection and a wireless connection.  I am unable to get either to work.

I have tried following the following article and changing the my registry value in the "LMCompatibilityLevel" registry key to "1", restarted my computer, and it was still unable to connect.  I also tried changing the registry key to "2" and it did not work.  I also tried to use the gpedit.msc solution in that article and that did not work.  Below is a screen shot of my Network Security settings within the Local Group Policy Editor.

Photobucket

The weird thing is that I have another computer with Windows XP installed and it is able to connect to the server just fine.  The server did come with software (NASNavigator version 2.31) that I installed on my Windows 7 computer.  It actually sees the server within that software.  I see the IP address and everything works great within that software.  But when I try to browse the browse the shared folders nothing happens.

Photobucket

Does anyone have any suggestions?

jamesnb

• Tatanka
Re: Failure Browsing Shares in Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 05:08:36 AM »

Are your NAS and your computer on the same network? If not, then you are trying to connect the NAS from outside of your network and that is different story.

If they are on the same network (same domain, subnet, etc...) you can try the followings:

1/ On your NASNavigator, right-click on the NAS icon and select "Browse Shares" to see if it works.

2/ From your computer, right-click on "My computer" and select "Map network drive..." (assuming you have already set-up shared folder on your NAS properly)

2a/ In the "Folder" type \\your.NAS.IP.address\your.share.folder.on.NAS

2b/ Click "Finish". If successful, a network drive of your shared folder on NAS shall be displayed when you open "My Computer"

As a rule of thumb, after setting up the NAS, it is always good to restart the device for everything to freshly load-up.

Hope this helps... Post back here your result and we can help further if not.

luniv04

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 11:37:03 AM »

Thanks for the reply.  I really appreciate it because I am just dying to get this to work.

The computer is on the same network (home network) as the Buffalo LinkStation.

Tried Solution 1:

I tried your first solution (regarding the opening up NASNavigator and selecting "Browse Shares") and nothing happens.  No error messages...nothing at all.

Tried Solution 2:

I tried your second solution and I get an error message that doesn't seem to be too helpful but here it all is.  Please note that I have tried this with setting that registry setting to "1" and to "2" and neither works.

This shows the share that I am triing to connect to.  After reading some articles, it is suggested that I check the "Connect using different credentials" so I did.

Photobucket

I have tried connecting using the admin account under my computers domain group and the WorkGroup domain as it is shown within the Web Administration.  Neither works.  Please note that this Windows Security screen pops up many (5+) times before getting the error message.

Photobucket

Here is the error message that I get every time.

Photobucket

Some additional information:

I can actually connect to the LinkStation from my Windows 7 computer through the web interface using the admin account and my password.  You can see below the Shares that I have setup and you can also see there are no restrictions to any of the shares.

Photobucket

Here you can see the users that I have setup.  I have the default admin user and the guest users enabled.

Photobucket

Other Solutions that were attempted:

1. I tried everything in this forum.  This included turning off and turning on my Windows Firewall (both Private and Public)  I checked my Network Discovery and it is turned on for both my Private and Public settings.  I also enabled the "Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP" setting that is mentioned within the forum.  I tried pinging the server which was unsuccessful when pinging the file share but was successful by just pinging the LinkStation itself. See below...
    Photobucket

Are there any other solutions out there.  I would really appreciate it if anyone could help...

luniv04

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 06:30:22 AM »

Has anyone solved this issue with a Windows 7 OS?

luniv04

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 06:55:04 AM »

I tried changing the hosts file and that did not help either...

Photobucket

yepper

• Calf
Re: Failure Browsing Shares in Windows 7 (0x80070035)
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 10:46:26 AM »

I am having the exact same problem. XP boxes can see/browse with no problem. Win 7 computers fails every time. I have two TS units on the LAN, one has the new firmware update..1.50 and the other has 1.41.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 04:36:18 PM »

I would try updating to 1.40 firmware and restoring the unit. Thats really weird that your still having that issue after changing the ntlm settings. 

luniv04

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 10:18:08 AM »

I managed to correct this issue.  I went into my startup services and turned off all of my McAfee services, restarted my computer and bingo it worked.

airborne

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 04:04:37 AM »

I wonder if McAffee services are the true cause of issue. I am having similar problem, but have no McAffe on my system istalled. The weird thing is, sometimes the access is present but then all sudden it is gone with the same error message. Once access is screwed up it can not be resored, also if then the power is is set to OFF the linkstation will not shut down (have to use the power switch). I wonder if this is an issue of teh NAS NAvigator software, ot Win 7 or both ? Any thoughts?

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 08:47:48 AM »

I really doubt it. I'm running windows 7 with the nas navigator on my pc at home and I have no connection issues. What antivirus are you running? Norton? I run Microsoft Security Essentials. Its free and non intrusive. I did have to change my ntlm settings to get to my NAS though. So this issue could be some kind of software conflict, I just doubt its between the NasNavi and W7. 

airborne

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 03:51:55 AM »

Yesterday I got the problem again, and now I have a serious issue. I am running Win 7 64 bit professional, 3 system of those in a network. On all AVG Free Antivirus installed. My NAS is in RAID 0. My NTLM setting are changed as described in the threadThe problem is always like this: After a while I can not access through Win 7 to the shared folders. It works for a while then for what ever reason during acces or when attempting the access fails.  I upgraded to Fimware 1.40 just two days ago hoping that this will resolve but it did not.  I did not that the boot time after firmware upgrade become much longer.

Yesterday happened the following: I was deleting some data/folders from the trashbox in the NAS. During this the access failure came again. Now the big problem is that after re-booting NAsNAvi tells me that my HDD is not formated. ? How can that be ? I see the NAS in NasNavi, I see my shared folders, but can not access them (0x8007003?5 error)? What can I do now ? Do I really have to re-format everything and loss all data or is there any other approach I could try ? Please help !

airborne

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 09:08:42 AM »

Anyone a clue ? Is this a common thing on Buffalo product that the RAID, volume, format information fails during access? The Linkstation is just few month old, the whole story looks weird to me that the Storage/format information is lost.  Right now I think I will try some of the data recovery via UFS explore first, as posted earlier. What would be then the procedure? Reset to factory, followed by formating? Thanks.

luniv04

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 11:27:31 AM »

When I solved this issue with my computer, I had to call Microsoft.  My PC with Windows 7 in general was having trouble accessing file shares.  So this was not a Buffalo issue.  It was an issue with my PC with Windows 7.  I found this out because I was getting the same error message when I tried to access a file share on another PC with Windows Vista.  I told Microsoft about the problem with trying to access the file share that is on the PC with Windows Vista from the PC with Windows 7.  I didn't mention to them at all my troubles trying to access the Buffalo server.  Then after 1.5 hours later he turned off my McAfee services and bingo it worked.

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 11:46:58 AM »

I don't really see a point of using paid antivirus with windows 7 when you can just use Microsoft security essentials for free. I never have any issues with that antivirus and accessing buffalo nas shares or any other network resource. And its a really good software in general. 

jamesnb

• Tatanka
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 11:03:44 PM »

@Jotin,

I am too using MS Security Essentials, running Windows 7 Pro 64bit. My NAS's firmware is 1.40

But I have not had any problem with browsing the shared folder and/or mouting it.

I have not changed anything in host file or security policy in Win7

Perhaps a bug in the firmware? or is it OS-dependant?