Author Topic: File name is too long cannot copy  (Read 5246 times)

BuffaloSG

• Calf
File name is too long cannot copy
« on: December 29, 2010, 11:54:36 PM »

Hi

1.  Drivestation External USB 2 hard drive,  HD-CE2. OTU2-AP

2.  As delivered on the HD itself.  TurboUSB Ver.250  I'm not sure where to look for other firmware info, please advise.

3.  Running a wireless netwowk with 2 Airport Extreme Basestations 07, 2 MacBook Pros 07, 1 Mac Mini 06 vintage,  1 HP Vista desktop 07.

Drivestation HD is connected to the USB on the primary AE Basestation.

Setup of the Drivestation was easy, plug n play. I could see the drive on the various devices OK.

The issue is that I have tried to copy files, jpgs and mp3s from my macmini and MB pro an error keeps coming up that the file names are too long.  Is there a way aroung this or an update firmware patch that fixes this.  Going thru and trying to change the file names would be a huge task.

Thanks for your help.

Warm regards,

Ross

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
Re: File name is too long cannot copy
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 01:13:00 AM »

This unit doesn't have firmware, it's just a standard USB drive.  If you have it hooked up to a router that has a NAS function (I am assuming your airport does) it could be the router itself.  Try connecting the unit directly to a computer and see if you can transfer those same files to it.

BuffaloSG

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 03:19:36 AM »

Hi Mr Pranha,

You are correct, no firmware.  I connected the DS to the MB Pro and no problem for copying the pics and music...  and smokingly fast.

So my question now is where do I look for a solution so I can do the same over the wireless netwoek with it attached to the Apple Airport Extreme.  And yes the AAE is a NAS device and supposed to be one of the better ones.

I'm sure this will be useful to others as the Buffalo DS is an attractive NAS solution for a Mac AAE newtork.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Ross

BuffaloSG

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 03:20:33 AM »

ps - thanks for the very fast response!:smileyhappy:

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 03:23:09 AM »

Unfortunately it would be a limitation of the AAE, if they do not have a setting to change it there is certainly nothing that we can do about it.  I would contact mac at this point.

BuffaloSG

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 03:23:46 AM »

If I'm to partition the drive into 3 - I see there is utility for Windows to do this.  Is there one provided for a mac to partition the DS.

I want to partition so I can use the time machine for 2 macs as well as create a partition for using as a music/video/pics storage area.

Thanks!

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 04:00:08 AM »

I am not sure what else you are asking.  That link you gave was how to format a drive larger than 640 GB on a mac.  If you want to create partitions go into the same disk utility that they are talking about in that post and select "partition".  If you are looking to format the drive to extended journaled then follow the post that you linked me to.  I am not sure how you have to set things up for NAS on your AEE.  Everything is working hardware wise on the DS, for software/hardware inquiries related to mac (time machine, AEE ect.) please contact mac.

BuffaloSG

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 08:02:06 AM »

OK, thanks for the help.  All going well so far.

For those who have something similar.

I used the MB pro to partition the Buffalo DS 2T into 4 volumes - 2 for timemachine backups from different macs, 1 for windows, and the remainder, about 1T, as a general storage areas.

Plugged the DS directly to the MB pro to partition and then unplugged and reconnected to the AAExtreme.  File name problem hasn't arisen again so far.

I'm copying and testing, so will update later.

TimKert

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 05:40:48 AM »

I have downloaded Long Path Tool and it helped me a lot
http://LongPathTool.com

Markovin

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 08:14:32 AM »

Well, I got the same problem as very annoying and with no explanation as the file names have no visible illegal characters and are not too long and not copied or deleted and found good stuff at http://pathtoodeep.com/ and also over here. Thanks 

gabrielko

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 11:33:24 AM »

Long Path Tool helped me in this situation. http://PathTooDeep.com

GabrielNar89

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2012, 01:58:46 PM »

This is a Windows* OS/file system issue.The cause is directory paths on the drive is longer than 255 characters (including spaces).There's a lot of  additional softwares which can fix this problem like Long Path Tool.
http://PathTooDeep.com

stevenLoker

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 03:39:26 PM »
I knew that problem, download software like LongPathTool.It fix the files,copypaste,renaming and deleting.
Ive been using it before.

stevenLoker

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 03:46:27 PM »
Download LongPathTool.follow instruction and it will fix the problem easily.
Im using it since i encounter problem with files.