Author Topic: USB Drive not recognized by Linkstation Pro Duo LS-WTGL/R1  (Read 3698 times)

zolson

• Calf
USB Drive not recognized by Linkstation Pro Duo LS-WTGL/R1
« on: December 28, 2010, 06:59:35 PM »

To begin, I am a novice user.  I just configured my Linkstation Pro Duo LS-WTGL/R1.  Attached USB Seagate Pro drive to the Linkstation yesterday and I was able to see both drives and access files by just plugging in the Seagate in the back of the Linkstation without formatting the USB disk.  Everything was great until I went to start backing up files from Seagate to Linkstation today.  I am unable to see the USB Seagate Pro and even more concerning when I connect the USB Seagate Pro to my windows 7 PC it states that the drive needs to be formatted.  I was able to to connect the USB Seagate to my PC prior to connecting it to the Linkstation. 

I purchased the the Linkstation to back up files and it turns out during the setup process I have someow corrupted my primary backup storage.  Any assistance would be greatly apprecaited.  Thank you and Happy Holidays! 

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
Re: USB Drive not recognized by Linkstation Pro Duo LS-WTGL/R1
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 05:51:52 AM »

If the unit was formatted to NTFS you would still be able to browse files but not be able to write to them.  Most likely the corruption happened when the LS was trying to write to it or when you removed the USB drive (especially if you didn't properly unmount it by pressing the function button)

zolson

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 03:42:29 PM »

Thank you for the quick reply.  I appreciate it very much.  Are you suggesting I format the Seagate to NTFS through the LS software - OR - are you saying that it sounds more like a corruption issue with the Seagate now and I'm in real bad shape.

zolson

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 04:03:28 PM »

Sorry one last question, would the LS have automatically formatted the Seagate when I plugged it in via USB?  Or does all formatting of drives have to be initiated by the user?  Thanks again for your time.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 12:42:58 AM »

You would want to format to NTFS or Fat 32 through the LS software.  It does not automatically format the drive.