Author Topic: mounting LinkStation/TeraStation on Linux servers  (Read 8039 times)

thomas

• Calf
mounting LinkStation/TeraStation on Linux servers
« on: December 28, 2010, 10:55:19 AM »

Hi everybody,

I've been struggling for long trying to mount our LinkStation Disk on a Linux server AND having the file ownership recognized.

Basically I succeeded mounting the disk on my Linux server, but all the files have owner root, no matter which user creates them.

This is the command I'm using

mount -t cifs -o user=admin,password=password //<server IP>/NAS1 /NAS1

Is it actually possible to mount a LinkStation on a LInunx machine in order to have user permission recognized? (maybe I should use xfs instead of cifs?)

Since my company recently bought also 2 TeraStations, are the things easier with them?

Any hint really appreciated!

Regards,

Thomas

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
Re: mounting LinkStation/TeraStation on Linux servers
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 06:06:22 AM »

Which version of linux and which linkstation.  Also please understand that this isn't supported but I will help you as best as I can.

ramack

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 09:11:46 AM »

Was this resolved?  I'm having a similar problem.  I'm pretty sure it is because of the file permissions being root for all files and directories on the server.  The TeraStation is TS-XEL8C0, I'm running Debian Linux (Squeeze/Testing) i386.

Rich

ramack

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 10:27:44 AM »

Ok, after searching for a couple hours this morning I have found a solution.  One thing to note is that I stopped mounting with the cifs.  I don't recall the specific reason,but  cifs stopped working and I am now using smbfs.

On our older TeraStation I mounted the file system via the CLI:

$ sudo mount -t smbfs -o guest //192.168.0.9/share ~/network/share

This thread states that if

uid=USER

is added this should take care of the permissions.

$ sudo mount -t smbfs -o uid=ramack,username=admin //192.168.0.14/share ~/network/share

The above command mounts the shared directory of the TeraStation and gives me read/write permissions.

Rich

thomas

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 10:09:23 AM »

Thank you ramack.

If I understand correctly the solution you provided, this means that the disk must be mount with a different string for each user?

Please consider that my server is accessed from a numeber of users. Each one is interested to read/write to the external disk, so that it behaves jsut like any other directory in the filesystem.

Model of my disk is TS-XE8.0TL/R5-E

Many thanks

Thomas

thomas

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 10:19:27 AM »

Some developments.

After contacting the Buffalo helpdesk, at first they simply denied that my TeraStation supports Linux at all.

I made them note that on their web site (at  http://www.buffalo-technology.com/products/network-storage/terastation/ts-xel-terastation-es/  )

it explicitly says

"• Supports NFS – can be mapped from UNIX so that a wide range of users can access the drives"

Then I got a second answer with a configuration instructions document.

This document basically indicates how to configure the Buffalo via web admin page in order to enable the NFS support.

Then the client (the Linux computer) must be configured. It says to use the following command to mount the shared directory

mount -nfs <buffalo IP address>:/mnt/array1/share /targetdir

The result is that I got access to the Buffalo shared directory, but it still doesn't recognize the users under Linux.

No matter who creates a file in the directory, the owner will always be 'nobody':

[root@eagle share]# touch test_as_root
[root@eagle share]# ls -la
total 8
drwxrwxrwx  2 root   root     46 Jan 27  2011 .
drwxr-xr-x 29 root   root   4096 Jan 27 11:16 ..
-rw-rw-rw-  1 nobody nobody    0 Jan 27  2011 test_as_root

Any hints?

Is there any way for to access to /etc/exports file on the Buffalo?

Thank you,

Thomas

ramack

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 11:30:19 AM »

They must have also forgotten that it is a Linux based unit!