Author Topic: linkstation live to Ipad  (Read 5237 times)

schaft0620

• Calf
linkstation live to Ipad
« on: December 23, 2010, 07:51:39 PM »

I just got an Ipad and I had my link station live set up on my PC and I have no idea how to connect it to the Ipad. I have download an app called file browser. My linkstation live is not set up to the web I have it just inside my network so that I can share files between devices. Is there a way to access the media on my link station from my ipad?

LinkStation Live:

LS-CH500L

Firmware 1.06

Ipad is version 3.2.2 

schaft0620

• Calf
Re: linkstation live to Ipad
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 08:19:37 PM »

I updated the Ipad to 4.2.1 and still nothing

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 03:59:44 AM »

Your Linkstation is not compatible with the app.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

Unhappy09

• Buffalo
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 11:07:16 AM »

Im sorry Davo, I don't mean to disagree with you since you are usually right 100% of the time but I have an iPad and a Linkstation live and use the File Browser app all the time from home and away, it works just fine. As a matter of fact their iphone app works perfect too. Alot of people that I know use this app since the www.buffalonas.com site is a bit sluggish. The File Browser app is awesome in that it actually starts to play the movies and such instantly.

Please make sure you have the following settings on the ipad in the File Browser app:

Display Name: Anything you want

Name / IP Address: The IP Address of your linkstation  (192.168.1.XXX)

DNS Domain Suffix: Blank in most cases

Then you can choose wether you want it to ask you for a username or passwork everytime or enter a username/passwork that will be saved and used always.

Username: A username that has access to your linkstation. (In my case I use the same as my laptop, you could use admin if you wanted)

Password: Password that is set up on the linkstation for that user

Thats it! It should work fine.

If you are going to access your linkstation away from home using this program you need to do other things, let me know if this is what you plan on doing and I can try and help you with that.

cyahnke

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 11:24:58 AM »

Unhappy :

could you please tell me the exact name of the app you are using to browse files??

Just got the ipad and downloaded the buffaloNAS app v1 and then when i try to log in, tells me site only supports 2.0 and above...

so am not able to access my files via an app.  BTW i can access them thru web so that all looks like its working ok

Thanks for your help!

cy

Unhappy09

• Buffalo
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 12:26:16 PM »

cyahnke, to be honest this is the first I hear of the buffalo app. I looked it up and installed it. It worked but not as good as the FileBrowser app. I was able to connect to my Linstation while at home and with the wifi turned off. The problem is the time it takes to log on. It works about as fast as if you were using your web browser with a shortcuty to www.buffalonas.com. The good thing is the slideshow and a few other features. I went into my movies folder and tried to play a 2gb movie, it took about 7 minutes before the file started playing. Using the same configuration on FileBrowser it takes about 30 seconds to start playing the same movie. Keep in mind that this is with the wifi on. All in all the app is ok, for free but FileBrowser for the ipad and netportal for the iphone is my choice. Hope this helps, if you need any help configuring just let me know.

xgman

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 03:28:59 PM »

Have you tried buffalo's "webaccess i" app?

Unhappy09

• Buffalo
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 03:52:24 PM »

Yes, that is the app we are talking about. It works for the most part but to me it seems a bit slow. It also does not support all the formats that FileBrowser does. It is a great app for those that want to access their NAS away from home and dont want to deal with opening multiple ports on their routers. Filebrowser requires you to open other ports for their out of your home network access.

Unhappy09

• Buffalo
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 04:00:57 PM »

Well your post reminded me that I wanted to install the Buffalo app on my wifes iphone, so I just did that. After the install and setup, I tried to run it and it keeps timing out. I went to my ipad and tried and the same thing, same on my iphone. I don't know how it works, but if I am correct and its basically like a shortcut to their www.buffalonas.com website then maybe there is too much traffic and their servers can't handle it. I can't rely on an app that wont always work. The Filebrowser app worked just fine when this one was not. Im sorry but I am sticking to FileBrowser.

brownne1

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 03:45:42 PM »
Hey guys Can you give me the name of the 'File Browser' app please. Thanks

Unhappy09

• Buffalo
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 04:11:57 PM »

The app for the iPad is called FileBrowser and the iPhone version is NetPortal.

GAtkins

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2011, 12:27:26 AM »

@Unhappy09

I have set up the NetPortalLite on my iPhone and can access the NAS locally.

I am having trouble setting in up for remote access.  Can you please give me some pointers about how to do that?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Glenn

Unhappy09

• Buffalo
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2011, 12:51:47 AM »

Gatkins, you need to make sure you have port 445 open on your router. That is the port that FileBrowser uses by default. You also need to make sure that you are entering your WAN ip address in the IP field for FileBrowser. This is the ip address that your ISP gave you. So you would have 2 different connections on oyur filebrowser, one for local connections and one for connecting when you are out of your house. Does this make sense? Also make sure when you open port 445 that you forward it to the ip address of your linkstation.

brownne1

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2011, 04:24:20 AM »
Thanks very much

GAtkins

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2011, 07:24:51 PM »

from what i can tell surfing around the web Cox blocks Port 445.

I have Port 445 forwarded to the internal IP of the NAS.  I have Port 445 through the router open.  I even turned the firewall off at one point to no joy.

Do you know if the NON-Lite version of NetPortal allows port selection other than Port 445.  There is talk of it on their site in a future release but not sure of the date of the document on their site that referenced said future release. 

Does anybody know for sure if Cox blocks Port 445 and if so, would that be causing my inability to log in remotely (in the case tonight, through 3G with WIFI off on the iphone)?

Thanks for any additional help.  I really like the interface of NetPortal and would like to be able to use it.

Glenn