Author Topic: Web Access does not work from outside  (Read 16778 times)

jrafkind

• Calf
Web Access does not work from outside
« on: December 14, 2010, 08:05:38 PM »

Hi, This is for a Linkstation

Model Name LS-QL F/W 1.11
Firmware Version 1.11
Web access from outside of my lan times out when trying to access. 
I have a static IP attached to my comcast cable modem (173.164.xxx.xxx) and have two routers attached to it (192.168.1.0 & 192.168.0.0).  The Linkstation resides at 192.168.1.99 and is static.
Forwarding port 9000 did not work from outside (confirmed via canyouseeme.org) until a port forwarding rule was added in Comcast modem directing port 90 traffic to comcast modems lan side address of router at 192.168.1.1 (ie the wan side address of that router, 10.1.10.84).  Port 9000 is now responding.
Access to NAS via buffalonas.com from 192.168.1.1 network succeeds.  Access succeeds to 192.168.1.99:9000 from this network as well.
Access does not work from networks outside of modem or from 192.168.0.1 network either at buffalonas.com or to 173 address.
I have renamed buffalo Nas name with no access success.
Any ideas?
Thanks

daoswald

• Buffalo
Re: Web Access does not work from outside
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 08:34:17 PM »

Have you forwarded port 80 from outside to port 9000 on the NAS?  That's how I do it, and I avoid the buffalonas.com service altogether.  Since you have a static IP you don't need Buffalonas.com to hit your network for you.  In my case, I have a dynamic IP, but use dyndns to maintain a dns lookup name for me.

Unhappy09

• Buffalo
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 09:15:36 PM »

I dont have an answer for you but I do have some advice. You might want to be care fule posting your ip address on here, too many can see it. One other thing I noticed is that when I do port changes on the LS NAS I always end up having to restart the linkstation in order for the open ports to show up on canyouseeme.org.

Unhappy09

• Buffalo
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 09:21:49 PM »

Doswald, when I open port 80 and enter my ip address from outside the network and attach :80 to the end of it all I get is the sign in page of the Linkstation. I dont think this is what the poster is wanting. I think he wants to access his files away from his home network, but no using buffalonas.com. Any ideas? I would love to be able to do this.

jrafkind

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 10:56:09 PM »

That is correct Unhappy09!

trying to access a share remotely over the internet via the web service.

Unhappy09

• Buffalo
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 12:16:01 AM »

Have you made sure you went into the linkstation set up page and tuned on webaccess, not just the inside port but also that the outside port is showing 9000. Do you happen to have Comcast business class? Is this how you got the static ip. If so I had to shut off the firewall on their modem completely in order to be able to access the linkstation out of my home. One other thing, the linkstation can only be accessed using either the buffalonas.com or an FTP server like fireftp. I have not found another way to access it, if you find one please let me know. I too have a static ip and would like to be able to access my files using soemthing else besides buffalonas.com or ftp.

daoswald

• Buffalo
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 12:36:54 PM »

I think you read, or implemented, only half of my brief suggestion.  If you are getting the configuration page from the outside when you forward port 80, that means you're passing port 80 directly through to the NAS still on port 80.

My suggestion was to forward port 80 from the outside world to port 9000 on the NAS's local IP.  In my Linksys router's configuration, I forward external port 80 to internal port 9000 on IP 192.168.xx.xx (the NAS's IP).  If I passed external port 80 to internal port 80 on the NAS's IP, I would indeed get the configuration page as you mentioned.

The OP also mentioned he is behind two routers.  In that case, one router would need to forward external port 80 to some chosen port on the 2nd router, and that router would forward the chosen port to port 9000 at the NAS's IP.  Two layers.

Then comes the suggestion to make sure that the NAS is actually configured for web access, but I'm assuming that the OP already verified that it is available from within the LAN.

jrafkind

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 02:00:48 PM »

Hi All,

Have it figured out now.  It is a business internet account through comcast.  The port forwarding from their modem to my router to my NAS doesn't work (and I strongly suspect it is with the comcast modem as 9000 traffic landing on my routers wan side does get redirected appropriately).  Understandably Comcast does not see it this way.  Anyway, i do have that dedicated IP address and I can use it.  First, my previously favorite linksys wireless router WRT54GS cannot accept a static WAN IP--  So had to use Netgear, which is now my favorite (WGR614v4).  Assigned it a static IP and added a port forwarding rule for 9000 to the private address the NAS is at.  I have no rules in the modem anymore, only the netgear.  Also refreshed my buffalo nas name and key and now outside access is available either by http://IPA:9000 or by http://buffalonas.com/name.  Thanks for all the comments.

WRT54GS  

Unhappy09

• Buffalo
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 02:39:08 PM »

jrafkind, I had the same issue and just went in and turned off the comcast firewall option on their modem. I too have business class and their tech support was useles and the port forwarding on their modems does not work. I just turned it off and used my firewall on my router.

One question I do have: Your reason for doing this is just so that you dont have to use www.buffalonas.com correct? When you enter the ipa:9000 you end up at the same location that going to www.buffalonas.com adn then entering the name of your webaccess takes you correct? Then you still sign in on the right side just like with www.buffalonas.com in order to see your folders correct? So in other words its the same thing but you use an ipa instead of www.buffalonas.com?

Or does doing the ipa and 9000 get you somewere different?

jrafkind

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 07:06:46 PM »

my reason for doing this was to get access to some files remotely, or rather to give access to someone else as the case may be.  Either the buffalo.nas or the IPA get me to the same place-- the web access, however getting the IPS and port to work will allow me to use a thrid level domain of my registered domain instead of buffalonas, ie http://www.myfiles.xxxxxxxx.com  that is the next idea.  Although think i will need host headers...    and my own web server, possible dns server too...  oh what i have done!

Unhappy09

• Buffalo
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 09:33:53 PM »

What are you are talking about doing, is exactly what I am hoping to accomplish. I have a static ip, I have the ports open, but I think right now my problem is that I have a Linkstation Live not a Pro. The Pro offers a WebServer function which I am being told that its basically a stript down version of Apache which would make things easier. After that I am stuck. My hope is to be able to access my files from outside of my network directly not through buffalonas.com which is almost like an FTP system. I want to be able to see & listen to my media at work either by itunes or another player that would play it not download then play. Let me know if you find anything out. Thanks

moss_whitney

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 11:32:15 AM »

this thread addresses my problem exactly but I'm too much of a novice to totally understand the steps I need to take to make it work.  If you could do a quick step-by-step I would be forever grateful.  pretend I'm a five year old...

I have:

SMC gateway provided by Comcast

Belkin N600 DB (model: F9K1102)

LinkStation Pro LS-V2

the LS is connected to the Belkin which is connected the the SMC gateway.  I can access the LS from within the network but when I go to my unique buffalonas.com/xxxxx url from outside the network it tries to load an IP address I've never seen before.  Any advice would be infinitely appreciated!

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 12:55:08 PM »

moss_whitney wrote:

this thread addresses my problem exactly but I'm too much of a novice to totally understand the steps I need to take to make it work.  If you could do a quick step-by-step I would be forever grateful.  pretend I'm a five year old...

I have:

SMC gateway provided by Comcast

Belkin N600 DB (model: F9K1102)

LinkStation Pro LS-V2

the LS is connected to the Belkin which is connected the the SMC gateway.  I can access the LS from within the network but when I go to my unique buffalonas.com/xxxxx url from outside the network it tries to load an IP address I've never seen before.  Any advice would be infinitely appreciated!

On your router you need to forward whatever external port you have selected for web access to the local IP address of the Linkstation (as it appears in the Nas Navigator)

Once this is done correctly you will be able to access it from outside your LAN, contact Belkin support to do this so look at the following link:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+port+forward+using+belkin+F9K1102

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

moss_whitney

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 07:25:29 PM »

hanks a bunch, I will give that a shot.  do I need to do anything re: firewalls at the gateway?

moss_whitney

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 10:02:50 AM »

unfortunately this did not work for me.  here is what I did:

Linkstation shows the same "External" and "NAS Internal Ports" = 9000

LinkStation IP is 192.168.x.yz 

Belkin port forwarding is enabled;  Inbound Port 9000, type = TCP, to Private IP 192.168.x.yz, Private Port = 9000

I haven't done anything to the SMC Gateway settings nor have I changed any firewall settings on the Belkin router or the gateway.   When I go to Buffalonas.com/xxxxxx I still get an IP I've never seen, like this:  98.206.xxx.xx:9000/ 

thoughts?  Thanks for your help.