Author Topic: BuffaloNas.com just not working (from external PCs) for me  (Read 13415 times)

EmKay

• Calf
Re: BuffaloNas.com just not working (from external PCs) for me
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2013, 11:13:22 AM »

I still cannot access it from outside, either.  I don't know if I'm missing some instructions on port forwarding, or if I'm only testing from places with firewalls that are causing me trouble...  I'm just a home user who bought a device that was advertised to be able to do something -- I just need straightforward instructions on getting this to work!

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2013, 11:17:56 AM »

EmKay wrote:

I still cannot access it from outside, either.  I don't know if I'm missing some instructions on port forwarding, or if I'm only testing from places with firewalls that are causing me trouble...  I'm just a home user who bought a device that was advertised to be able to do something -- I just need straightforward instructions on getting this to work!

Again, your port forwarding is either not setup or not setup correctly. contact your router provider and get them to forward whatever port you are using for web access for TCP to the local IP address of the Linkstation!

Rule of Thumb: If its working locally but not remotely it is 99% of the time down to the port forwarding.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

EmKay

• Calf
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2013, 11:22:19 AM »

Okay, maybe I have no business owning a NAS if I don't know what this means -- but are you suggesting that I contact Linksys to ask them what settings to put into my router setup?  Somehow, I'll bet they're going to be less than really interested in helping me, with that, but if that's what you say I need to do, I'll try...

Isn't there ANYONE else here with Comcast cable service and a Linksys WRT54G router who can provide the settings? 

Finally, how do I know what port I am using for web access for TCP?  I'm not sure what you mean by that (maybe if I were at home looking at the settings it will be apparent?)...

This is frustrating to me because I DO have some very limited exposure to networking (and I'm still horribly confused by this) -- but what if I didn't?

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2013, 11:26:45 AM »

EmKay wrote:

Finally, how do I know what port I am using for web access for TCP?  I'm not sure what you mean by that (maybe if I were at home looking at the settings it will be apparent?)...

This is frustrating to me because I DO have some very limited exposure to networking (and I'm still horribly confused by this) -- but what if I didn't?

Log onto the web admin page of the unit, Extentsions -> Advanced web access settings, the external port is listed there.

You can test to see if the port is open by going to http://canyouseeme.org and enter your port number.

How to port forward on your router -> http://support.herefilefile.com/entries/175488-how-to-forward-ports-on-a-linksys-wrt54g

P.S Google is your friend! :-/

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

EmKay

• Calf
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2013, 11:38:11 AM »

I'm a googling fiend, but have found nothing, yet, that helps me.  I *am* able to see my port using canyouseeme -- tried that previously.  I'll try the link you provided, next (when home).  Thanks.

fknandrew

• Calf
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2013, 09:58:44 PM »

Emkay, I think we are soulmates in so far as this problem is concerned.  I am of the same opinion and problem.  I checked in canyouseeme and it said my port timed out.  So this is a ISP issue? I can't do aything on my end to make linkstation work?

I wish Buffalo was more straightforward in warning buyers that its web access wont work all the time depending on the ISP

I am not a techie myself, so if I were to write my ISP, what exactly should I ask them to do?

jeffy6037

• Calf
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2013, 07:23:45 PM »
First post, hope I'm doing it right.  My problem is that when my home router updates its ip address, my NAS needs to re-trigger an update to buffalonas.com for external access to work.  I have to manually force this to happen when I'm home by rebooting the NAS or performing a disable and re-enable webaccess via the web admin.  Once I do this, it works fine until the router's external ip changes.  Latest firmware is installed.  Any way to automatically get the NAS to update this record every 12 or 24 hours?

Eastmarch

• 1500 Lb Water Buffalo
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2013, 12:19:13 PM »
Davo is correct that some basic port forwarding knowledge certainly helps getting this set up.

Port Forwarding doesn't need to be intimidating, fortunately. The concept is pretty simple.

Think of a Port as a doorway, and most firewalls lock all the doors for security. UPnP is a way to make the firewall open the door if someone knocks.

You could also manually unlock the door. This is basic port forwarding. You have to tell the router what computer on your network the door goes to.

With WebAccess, you want that door (port 9000 by default) to open up into your NAS (and your files).

So your router, which has to physically allow data into your network, has to be TOLD that it's ok to let port 9000 be open and any traffic through that port needs to go to your NAS. To do this you need two pieces of information. 1) Which port, 2) Where it's going.

All router interfaces are different. Some split out two traffic types (TCP and UDP) and some just let you do both at the same time. WebAccess uses TCP. When it asks you for the IP address, it wants the IP address of your NAS.

If your NAS is getting random IP addresses every time it reboots this can cause issues - there are ways to make it always get the same address, again this is a router function and the interface varies, it's called 'DHCP Reservation' on a lot of routers. You can always tell your NAS to use a specific IP address as well, just make sure it's not one of the addresses that is getting handed out to other machines.

For your router, it looks like its port 9000 to 9000, go ahead and use both, and the ip address is the address of your NAS. This information is in the NAS console if you don't know how to look it up on the router.

Should be that simple.
**A single copy of data, even on a RAID array, is NOT a backup! Hard drive failure is not a question of IF, but WHEN! Don't take my word for it, take Google's!**

billp4444

• Calf
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2015, 11:05:19 AM »
<p>Emkay, I think we are soulmates in so far as this problem is concerned.  I am of the same opinion and problem.  I checked in canyouseeme and it said my port timed out.  So this is a ISP issue? I can't do aything on my end to make linkstation work?</p><p> </p><p>I wish Buffalo was more straightforward in warning buyers that its web access wont work all the time depending on the ISP</p><p> </p><p>I am not a techie myself, so if I were to write my ISP, what exactly should I ask them to do?</p>

Once I set port forwarding to pass 9000  I was then able to use the uPnP option to get things going.  My router had uPnP enabled but without port forwarding it would not work.

joma90

• VIP
  • Life would be easy if we only had the source code!
    • Let me show you how to google
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2015, 02:29:21 PM »
for webaccess setings on you linkstation. Use advance setup. disable upnp, enter 9000 as the internal port and what every number you want as the external port from 1500-65000. Login to router set up port forwarding to the ip of the linkstation. save settings. if anything reboot router. See if it works now.
Units I own: TS-XL, TS-WXL, LS-WVL, TS-RXL,  TS5400, TS-RVHL,

I don't work for Buffalo but i do love there products enough to help people

davidsco27

• Calf
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2017, 05:05:33 PM »
My previous post was deleted, most likely because the Buffalo incompetents and moderbators don't want people to know just how incompetent they are.  Though, it's a little late since everyone who uses their products already does.  Apparently, their Buffalonas Webaccess portal DOES NOT WORK.  I was able to log into my NAS from outside by finding my external IP and adding the port I opened to the address. That works fine. Their useless portal sends you to a WRONG IP address.  Do it that way, once setup, find out your External IP on a site like Whatsmyip.com and when outside your network, login to that ip colon the port you opened ex.  173.23.63.13:9000 and you'll get to a page where you can login to your NAS