Author Topic: Permissions on my LS duo - HELP! it's all gone wrong!  (Read 1360 times)

VirtuaMcPolygon

• Calf
Permissions on my LS duo - HELP! it's all gone wrong!
« on: December 11, 2010, 08:47:17 PM »

I'm running osx 10.6.5 with a poorly ls duo with the latest FW...

I've just had a complete night mare 12 hrs. I had a power cut and when i restarted my LS duo it ended up in EM mode. Fearing it had lost both drives the only option i had was to force install the firmware. Which thank god worked and didn't trash the partitions.

But.... when I was just about to back up some uber important files to a external USB drive (15gigs worth) it wouldn't copy one folder across due to permissions. I have remembered in the past never to change the permissions as it screws up the folder. Unfortunately i just out of habit of doing it at work selected the folder to give it read &write access. And then I remember during as it was doing it! >_<

Now i cannot access the folder at all. 

is there anyway I can salvage this folder. or is it forever stuck as no access.  It's currently set as : everyone with custom access.

many thanks

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: Permissions on my LS duo - HELP! it's all gone wrong!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 11:11:43 AM »

You could try going to the interface, then restore/erase and choosing restore. This should clear all the permissions and you might be able to access that folder. 

CapnSmith

• Buffalo
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 11:27:13 AM »

Another option that you could try is creating a new share on the LS duo, with disk backup enabled and no restrictions, and then set up a backup job to copy the problem share contents to the new one, then access the files in the new share.

VirtuaMcPolygon

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 05:22:27 PM »

Ok some success.

After playing around I've managed to salvage the folder. It worked with the back up. I had to attach a usb drive and format it fat32. It was still locked if i used ext3 etc.. only fat 32.

it's unlocked the folder but not the files that are more than 2 gig in size. I had a few dmg stock art files larger so they are lost but at least been able to salvage half of my files.

Thanks for the tip.

I wish buffalo would include an option to remove/wipe privileges off a share in tools etc...