Author Topic: Windows 7 automatically maps my LinkStation Pro Duo multiple times.  (Read 1957 times)

silver_mica

• Calf

Hi,

To start here's my info:

1) Model: LS-W2.0TGL/R1-US

2) Firmware: I don't have this information (sorry)

3) I have a home network using a Linksys Router with two permanment desktops connected and two wireless laptos

One computer is new and runs Windows 7 - all others are either XP or Linux. 

I've got a strange problem with Windows 7 File Explorer.   Although I have already mapped my LinkStation Pro Duo Windows File Explorer will continue to automatically map the same drive multiple times.  At one point I had the same drive mapped 5 times - all with their own drive letter and all of these drive letters mapped the same NAS!  Also, these extraneous mappings will disappear on their own (I believe upon rebooting - but I'm not 100% sure at this point)

I've mapped the drive manually using the IP address 192.168.102

Windows 7 sees Ls-wtgl61b in the Network and will automatically map this (eventually multiple times)

See the picture

In the picture you see that "Paco" has been mapped twice.   The original mapping was done by me and shows the IP addres 192.168.102 (drive X:\). Windows 7 automatically mapped the same drive and directory to drive Z:\.

Has anyone had this problem?

Is there a solution?  (to stop Windows from Automatically mapping my drive multiple times?)

Thanks!

David

Windows Explorer

I tried to add the picture above this text (where it says "Windows Explorer").  I don't see the picture so I will put the direct link here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35653212@N03/5246148125/

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: Windows 7 automatically maps my LinkStation Pro Duo multiple times.
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 09:22:31 AM »

Windows will not automattically map a share by itself. right click on the share you dont want => Disconnect.

There is probably additional software on the PC that is doing it.

Is this happening from more than one PC.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

silver_mica

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 10:21:14 AM »

It occurs on one PC, the PC with Windows 7 on it.   This PC is a brand new Dell Inspiron 580 with Windows 7 Premium Home addition pre-installed.

I have another desktop with Windows XP Pro and no drives or NAS are mapped automatically. 

What would be a good way to find out which program is doing this?  

David

CapnSmith

• Buffalo
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 01:16:20 PM »

silver_mica,

Do you have the Nas Navigator software installed on your Windows 7 PC?  If so, and if it is an older version, that may be causing the multiple maps issue.  You can find an updated version of that software (2.31) on our website, in the downloads section for your unit.

silver_mica

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 08:13:30 AM »

No, I do not have Nas Navigator software running on any computer. 

David

CapnSmith

• Buffalo
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 11:00:44 AM »

Then I would have to agree with Davo,

Windows 7 (or any version of Windows that I'm aware of) does not automatically map network drives.  Nor do the Buffalo units. The setup software creates one map, the L:\ drive, for ease of use, but thats it.  Tthere must be some software on your PC that is doing the mapping.

JMurillo

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 12:49:36 PM »

Actually, I found this thread because I'm having the same issue. Though it's not with a Buffalo drive but with a network share, the symptoms are analogous. I have a shared drive on an XP Pro computer that I manually mapped to drive S: on my new Windows 7 notebook. After some apparently random amount of time I'll open explorer and find that I know have a Z: drive mapped to the same resource other times I'll have Z:, Y:, X: or more depending on the amount of time I've been connected to the network. I've found as many as 7 or 8 drives mapped sequentially from Z:, Y:, X:, W:, V:, etc.

My Win7 is a Dell so I can't discount that it may be some Dell software causing the issue, but haven't found culprit and wanted to assure the original poster that he wasn't crazy. I'll re-post upon finding a solution, but am open to suggestions.