Author Topic: Folder Permission  (Read 12259 times)

abriano

• Calf
Folder Permission
« on: September 26, 2008, 12:11:10 PM »

I'm trying to use this NAS as a temporary file server while our file server is rebuilt.  I'm having problems figuiring out how to set folder permissions on folders within a share.  I've linked to Active Directory and I can easily assign permissions to the created share, but I'm unable to assign specific permissions to the folders I create within this share (from within Windows).  I would expect to have this functionality so I must be over looking something.  I have assigned "domain admins" to have read/write permissions on the share.  I then access this share as the domain admin from Server 2003 and create new folders within it.  When i attempt to change permissions on my newely created folder I receive the following error:

Unable to save permission changes on New Folder.

Access is denied. 

If I check the owner of the file it is owned by the user account who created the folder.  I have tried this on the server with the domain Admin account, as well as on my pc with my domain user account.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Abe 

abriano

• Calf
Re: Folder Permission
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 03:12:06 PM »

I just got off the phone with support and wanted to post their response for anyone else that may be trying to do this.

Unfortunately this is not possible.  Folder permissions can only be set on the share level and not on the folders within that share.  

Hopefully we can get this "feature" added to a future firmware update.

-Abe 

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 11:24:19 AM »
Tech support is working on adding new features that will enable folder and file ACL's  (Access control lists) to the unit.  At this time there is no release date.

jbrines

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 09:27:30 AM »

Hi There, I have my Terastation on a Windows 2003 AD. I have shared a Folder and given permissions to a Group which has users in it but the user isn't able to access the share the user just gets prompted for a user id and password?

Any ideas?

John

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 11:57:11 AM »
The user should have read/write access to the folder. However, if youhave the user in a group which is in the read only category then theread permissions would be the dominant ones. Outside of this try justdefaulting the unit from the reset button on the back, this won'taffect any of the data stored on the unit, only configuration settings.

abtreiber

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 02:40:35 PM »

Any further update on this. I really do not like everyone to have access to everyone elses folders.

Thanks

Brian

countrytech

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 05:25:03 PM »

I have a LinkStation Pro Duo - model: LS-WTGL/R1-V3 F/W 3.07

I'm having access issues with a sub-folder within a shared folder. All access restrictions are disabled via the web-based control panel. When I view the sub-folder's settings, it is set to write-only access. I have no idea how this setting was enabled... and there is no way to even delete the folder. I even tried using chmod in ftp to change the permissions, but that doesn't work either.

any ideas? 

BigRod

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 04:16:59 PM »

This reply was posted over a year ago and it seems that these features are still not working, is this normal for Buffalo or is it just not important?

elbartino

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 03:48:19 PM »

Im having this same issue has any one got a solution?? All my music is trapped I can see it if I log in via buffalonas but not on a pc or mac on the same network it says I dont have permission to view the folder contents

ronanian

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 01:49:54 PM »

Tech support is working on adding new features that will enable folder and file ACL's (Access control lists) to the unit. At this time there is no release date.

It's nearly two years later, have they accomplished that yet?

mancio

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 04:49:24 AM »

HI all, I've a Terastation II TS-WXL on AD Windows server 2003, what I'm trying to do is have a network storage folder for my CMS web site (which runs under IIS on Server 2003. Firmware version is 1.40)

If web user tries to upload a file through website, system alerts for something like "Access denied" on storage folder.

NAS folder is of course read&write, I'tried also creating local IUSR_SERVER user on NAS to match the one on server. It's not a problem of path, either mountig nas as a disc (ex: X:\ ) or UNC path, other paths to disks on network work.

Googled for days, nothing found.

Please any help would be very appreciated.

Ale

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 03:26:32 PM »

Does this folder have any access restrictions enabled on it?