Author Topic: 2TB LinkStation Duo acts like no HDDs are in it  (Read 4287 times)

tomhawking

• Calf
2TB LinkStation Duo acts like no HDDs are in it
« on: December 03, 2010, 01:44:00 PM »

Hi

Hi

I have a Linkstation Duo 2TB, and until the other day, all was working perfectly. The unit got switched off becuase of a power issue in our house, and now it acts like it has no hard drives in. The web UI shows the Volumes as "null", and I cannot access my folders. I can see the shared folders fine in Windows (7, x64 by the way), but get an error message of "The Network Path Was Not Found". I can access the Linkstation via FTP, but it shows no directories.

Hi

I have a Linkstation Duo 2TB, and until the other day, all was working perfectly. The unit got switched off becuase of a power issue in our house, and now it acts like it has no hard drives in. The web UI shows the Volumes as "null", and I cannot access my folders. I can see the shared folders fine in Windows (7, x64 by the way), but get an error message of "The Network Path Was Not Found". I can access the Linkstation via FTP, but it shows no directories.

When it first switched on, it told me it was resynching the RAID array (I have it in RAID 1), and then eventually sent me an email saying that was finished, but continued to display the blinking orange light message, and showed it in NAS Navigator.

Hi

When it first switched on, it told me it was resynching the RAID array (I have it in RAID 1), and then eventually sent me an email saying that was finished, but continued to display the blinking orange light message, and showed it in NAS Navigator.

I have tried restarting it through the web UI and by switching it off and on. The hard drives are audibly spinning too. Also, I use it as a print server, and that doesn't work now, either.

Hi

I have tried restarting it through the web UI and by switching it off and on. The hard drives are audibly spinning too. Also, I use it as a print server, and that doesn't work now, either.

Please help!

tomhawking

• Calf
Re: 2TB LinkStation Duo acts like no HDDs are in it
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 01:46:13 PM »

It seems there was an error in posting my message and it got scrambled. Below is how it should appear. Also, I forgot to mention that I have also just updated to the 1.37 firmware.

It seems there was an error in posting my message and it got scrambled. Below is how it should appear. Also, I forgot to mention that I have also just updated to the 1.37 firmware.

Hi

Hi

Hi

Hi

Hi

Hi

Please help!

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 04:02:24 PM »

You want to let the unit sit for 8-24 hours until the orange light is gone so it can finish re syncing the raid array. 

tomhawking

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 09:53:46 PM »

Hi

Hi

I did that, but it was still flashing, so I turned it off an and on again, and the flashing has gone, but the problem remains.

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 10:14:13 PM »

So basically after I said to turn it on leave it on for 8-24 hours, you saw that the orange light was blinking again so you turned it off and on again?  and im assuming you just unplugged it right?

tomhawking

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 10:24:21 PM »

It had been doing so for about 24 hours - I had a notice that the checking had begun, and then a few hours later that it had finished, but the light was still going. So I left it all night and the following day, and as it was still flashing the next evening, I turned it on and off using the switch on the power cable.

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 11:06:43 PM »

What does it show in Disk management? Like the disks, the raid and all that good stuff.

tomhawking

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 11:13:20 PM »

It shows the serial numbers of the disks, but no readings for capacity or similar. RAID array 1 is "not configured". And on the left hand panel it says "Storage: Not Available", and on the first screen: "Volumes: null".

It shows the serial numbers of the disks, but no readings for capacity or similar. RAID array 1 is "not configured". And on the left hand panel it says "Storage: Not Available", and on the first screen: "Volumes: null".

Also, the options for checking or resdicovering the disks are greyed out.

Also, the options for checking or resdicovering the disks are greyed out.

I have it set up to do a RAID scan on the first day of each month, so I have just changed the date and time to get it to run such a scan. According to the emails it has sent me, it is running "RAID maintenance" on "md0", "md1", "md10" and "md21", and has already completed the checking of "md0" and "md1".

tomhawking

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 08:06:54 AM »

OK... I took both hard drives out (with the NAS turned off, of course), plugged them into my PC and used a "Western Digital Data LifeGuard Diagnostics" utility to scan them. They both passed the SMART scan and an extended test, with no errors. I have just put them back in the NAS, and the problem remains. Does this mean it is an issue with the NAS box itself (i.e. a RAID controller problem or similar?). I am going to try rolling the firmware back to 1.34 to try and "refresh" the box, but after that I am out of options. Does anyone have any suggestions?

OK... I took both hard drives out (with the NAS turned off, of course), plugged them into my PC and used a "Western Digital Data LifeGuard Diagnostics" utility to scan them. They both passed the SMART scan and an extended test, with no errors. I have just put them back in the NAS, and the problem remains. Does this mean it is an issue with the NAS box itself (i.e. a RAID controller problem or similar?). I am going to try rolling the firmware back to 1.34 to try and "refresh" the box, but after that I am out of options. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers

Tom

tomhawking

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 02:49:17 PM »

*bump*

*bump*

I just did a restore (settings, not data) and the problem STILL remains! There is now an "info" folder, containing the NASnavigator installations, and this is accessible. I really can't understand this - and I need to get this data back soon. I really hope someone can help.

CapnSmith

• Buffalo
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 04:35:07 PM »

It is possible that the raid controller in your unit is faulty, possibly due to a power surge.  Was your unit plugged into a surge protector, not just a power strip?

If you do not have your data backed up in another location, it is recommended you contact a data recovery service, as they would have the best chance of recovering any data that may be on the HDDs in your unit.

tomhawking

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 06:30:15 PM »
Unfortunately it wasn't, no. However, the "info" folder is visible, and accessible, and the shares are all shown. Is this symptomatic of a RAID controller malfunction? And how difficult would this be to fix? I bought the unit from eBay, so I don't have a receipt. However, the box it came in says that it was manufactured in September 2010.