Author Topic: Terastation and APC Back-UPS  (Read 7245 times)

gparker

• Calf
Terastation and APC Back-UPS
« on: December 02, 2010, 07:37:56 AM »

I have a Terastation TS-WXL/R1 and an APC Back-UPS BE500 which is in the list of supported UPSs.
It has a USB connection but when I look at the list of connection methods on the Terastation I only see Serial connection options.
Can you say how I connect the UPS to the Terastation?

Thanks.

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: Terastation and APC Back-UPS
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 08:21:16 AM »

When I look in the pdf for support APC units I get this for that unit

"BE500JP Standby Type of connection: USB   Included USB cable"

I didnt see just BE500 on the list... 

gparker

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 08:42:35 AM »

The BE500JP is just the BE500 for the Japan market  Mine is actually a BE500EI - for the european market.  It is the same model - with a USB interface.   So how do you connect a UPS with a USB interface to the Terastation?

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 09:07:04 AM »

Apparently I was wrong. The pdf states usb support but I checked with the interface and it states only serial port and my supervisor said thats correct...  So you would have to use the serial port on the unit. Here are the options on the TS Duo's ups options

Synchronization with UPS: synchronize with UPS connected to this TeraStation

synchronize with UPS connected to other TeraStation on the network

do not synchronize with UPS

synchronized source TeraStation IP Address:

UPS Connection Type: UPS Serial Port ( APC Style / Smart Signal )

UPS Serial Port ( APC Style / Simple Signal )

UPS Serial Port ( OMRON Style )

Shutdown TeraStation after  1-30 "min's options available" after power failure

Shutdown TeraStation when UPS Reports 'Battery Low' status

UPS Behavior After TeraStation has shut down: Alive or Turn off

UPS Recovery function: Enable or Disable 

Hope this helps. 

gparker

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 11:06:55 AM »

That was my original question.

So what you are telling me is the 'Supported UPS Devices for TeraStation' PDF is wrong - the TS-WXL/R1 does not support any of the USB-linked UPS's listed in it.

What is the point of having a list like this if it is misleading?  Can you make sure the list is corrected as soon as possible so that other people are not misled as I was.

The bottom line is I need to buy another UPS.  How can I be sure that other UPS's on the list are fully supported by the Terastation?

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 11:48:05 AM »

I have to apologize. I must have made a mistake when talking with my supervisor. Yes, the pdf is correct. The units listed on there saying usb will work via usb. You can use the settings in the interface that I listed to configure the UPS. 

gparker

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 12:22:21 PM »

Ok, so which setting do I use for the USB connection?  For example which 'UPS Connection type' should I choose for the USB connection to the UPS?

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 12:49:41 PM »

Yours looks like an APC UPS so I would choose the first option APC UPS Smart signal. 

gparker

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 12:57:13 PM »

Is this definite?  I didn't choose this option because it says 'UPS Serial Port ( APC Style / Smart Signal )'  This looks like it will only apply to the serial port.  I was expecting there to be a USB option?

gparker

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 10:13:05 AM »

Can you confirm the correct settings I should use for the USB type of connection? All the options refer to the Serial Port only.

gparker

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 06:03:27 AM »

I'd really appreciate a response to this - I need to set this up to protect the server.  If you are waiting on someone else for the answer can you let me know that too.

The question is: Can you confirm the correct settings I should use for the USB type of connection?

Thanks in advance.

gparker

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2010, 03:54:36 AM »

I think I've found the answer to my own question - and another question is raised!:

When you connect the USB cable from the UPS to a USB port on the Terastation and then look at the UPS settings on the Terastation, the 'UPS Connection Type' has changed to 'USB Port (APC Style)'  This option is not selectable from the list.

Having connected this up I tested the Shutdown function.

I set the Terastation to:

'Shutdown Terastation after 1 minute'

UPS behaviour after Terastation Shutdown: Alive

UPS recovery function: Disabled

With these settings - if I disconnect the power from the UPS the following happens:

- Terastation beeps and the display goes red and the red error light comes on.

- The display shows 'E10 UPS dependent mode'

- After a minute there is a click and the green light around the power button goes out.

- The display stays red.

- The terastation stays in this state - even after 15 minutes - it never appears to shutdown fully.

If I change the 'UPS behaviour after Terastation Shutdown:' from 'Alive' to 'Turn Off' and repeat the test the same occurs except:

- After a minute there is a click and the green light around the power button goes out.

- After a few more seconds the UPS shuts down and (obviously) the Terastation display goes out.

There is no description of the expected behaviour that I could find. My question is - with 'UPS behaviour after Terastation Shutdown:' set to 'Alive' should the Terastaion display stay on well after the shutdown period has expired?

CapnSmith

• Buffalo
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2010, 01:25:56 PM »

The Terastation units can hold a charge on the LCD panel and they can remain lit for a little while after powering down the unit.  If the power led is off, then the unit has shut down properly, the red color is to indicate a problem, in this case that power has been cut to the unit and it is running off the battery in the UPS.

Short answer:  That is normal behavior for your unit.