Author Topic: Lost Connection HS-DH1000GL  (Read 4331 times)

bwritt

• Calf
Lost Connection HS-DH1000GL
« on: November 29, 2010, 10:13:57 AM »

Windows XP Pro (laptop & desktop), Verizon FiOS router, HS-DH1000GL drive.

I have had this drive for a couple of years and it has been solid (although it will inadvertently freeze and begin beeping so I have to restart. Also seems to be constantly writing - it is a bit noisy).

Over the weekend I had to reboot but after restarting I could not locate it on my network. So I read the thread below and followed the instructions. I was able to get the firmware upgraded and could see the files on the drive but I have not been able to reconnect to the network. The FiOS router is the DHCP server. My guess is that the drive is not getting the proper IP address but I cannot get into it to reassign.

I Downloaded all of the most current software from the Support section of the web site.

Probably a simple fix but I can't seem to figure it out.

Thank you in advance for your help.

(PREVIOUS THREAD)

Look behind the unit and see the model number of your Linkstation.

Goto www.buffalotech.com and goto download, select the appropriate model and download the firmware.

Connect the Linkstation directly to your PC thru the LAN/Network cable.

Boot up your PC & Linkstation.

Extract the downloaded firmware and run the LSUpdater.exe file.

One it starts running, it will start to detect the linkstation.

If it detects the Linkstation, check the IP address listed there and assign a static IP in the same range to your PC.

It will not flash the firmware if the IP addresses of the linkstation and the PC is different.

Then proceed to update the firmware.

Another word of advice, when you power up the Linkstation, make sure the fan spins abit or check if there is a slight movement.

It might not be the firmware but could be the fan, as I've encountered before.

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: Lost Connection HS-DH1000GL
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 10:19:01 AM »

I would try plugging the unit directly into your pc and logging into the interface and give the unit a static ip address from the routers dhcp pool and see if will connect then. 

bwritt

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 10:48:46 AM »

I did connect the drive directly to my laptop, installed the NASNavigator2, then changed the IP address to one that matches my network. I then reconected the drive to the network but was not able to connect to it, either through a browser or with a mapped drive.

What did I leave out?

Thanks.

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 11:00:27 AM »

Did the nas navigator see it when you plugged it back into the pc? And im guessing since you were able to set a static on it you were able to access the interface when plugged right into your pc right? Did you update to any kind of new antivirus of firewall? 

bwritt

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 11:09:02 AM »

I just reconnected to my laptop and haven't been able to get back to it through NASNavigator; I can't even ping it with the IP I gave it. I was not able to access it from the 'interface' - I'm not sure I know what that is. Yesterday I was able to open a window that mimicked a browser that I was able to manage the settings. Is that the interface? Is that accessed by typing the IP address in a browser?

Do I need to reboot the drive?

Is there something I haven't installed? I have the original Navigator as well as version 2.

Also, on the original CD there is a tool to "connect to this computer" or "connect to the network". I'm just not sure if I've go some conflict going on somehow.

Sorry for the trouble. I think I know just enough to potentially make me dangerous...?

Thanks.

bwritt

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 11:13:54 AM »

Correction:

I re-opened the Navigator and it had obtained a new IP again. I was able to go into 'Properties' on the File menu and request a new IP. It took me to a browser that allowed me to log into the interface.

What now?

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 11:21:33 AM »

Well if it has a static ip address now plug it back into your network and see if you can access it over the network. You have to make sure you gave it an ip address that your router can use. Like if your router is running on 192.168.11.1 make sure the ip address that you gave the linkstation is at least 192.168.11.x

bwritt

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 11:39:10 AM »

Hmmm.

My network range is 192.168.1.x.

When I assign the drive 192.168.1.9 (not used on my network) it will not connect once I click on 'confirm'.

Does it require DNS settings?

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 11:52:16 AM »

It doesnt require DNS settings. Try plugging it back into your network and holding the reset button for 10 seconds. Give it about 2 minutes then try and see if the navigator can access it. 

bwritt

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 11:55:22 AM »

Maybe a dumb question but will it wipe the drive?

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 12:14:55 PM »

Not a dumb question at all. No it wont wipe the drive. 

bwritt

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 12:37:38 PM »

I held the reset button as directed and the drive began beeping (hoping that meant it was acknowledging the reset). I pressed the power button to clear the beeping and the drive continues to run.

However, I am still not able to access it over the network. Nor can I locate in in the Navigator when I click the Refresh button.

If I reconnect to my laptop directly and change the IP address to one that matches my network, it should remain as an assigned address, correct?

It doesn't make sense that it will now not show up on the network, unless there is something else I need to do.

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 01:37:51 PM »

As soon as you set the ip it should be able to be accessible. When you were changing the ip, were you using using the web admin tool (opening a browser and typing in the current ip and logging in) or the nas navi? 

bwritt

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 01:42:46 PM »

I initially tried it with the Navigator but found that when I plugged it back into the network the IP address changed back, so I changed it in the interface.

When I reponed the Navi it shows the IP in the lower right corner but the drive doesn't show up above.

Currently I have it reconnected to my laptop and I am buring a backup of the data (most of it is already backed up but I wanted to get the last couple of days done).

It seems to be running fine; I'm just perplexed an getting it back on the network.

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2010, 01:45:32 PM »

When you put the unit back on the network it should get an ip address. Try putting it back on the network with an ip of 192.168.1.150 and then after its all rebooted and on the network go to your computer and select run and type in \\192.168.1.150 . see if it brings up the folders that way.