Author Topic: password limitations $#@!  (Read 7463 times)

stickerguy

• Calf
password limitations $#@!
« on: September 26, 2008, 11:05:10 AM »

It seems that more and more of the software that handles passwords and permissions has begun to dictate what is or is not a good password. Like this forum, and like my new Terastation Pro II. The password that EVERYTHING else on my network is using, is not good enough for the Terastation. Why? Because it begins with a symbol. Ack! Is there any way to override this limitation, so that I don't have to go through and change the password on the whole network again? (which will no doubt bring up countless limitation conflicts...)

To sum up: I want to choose my password, whether it begins with a symbol or contains only 000000s. How can I override? Is there a command-line interface?

thanks in advance,

Pete & Sticker Guy!

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: password limitations $#@!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 11:08:36 AM »

Depending on the model that you have we have corrected this in many of our firmware updates. 

Please install the lastest firmware at buffalotech.com

stickerguy

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 02:55:59 AM »

Hi,

I upgraded the firmware and the problem remains.

Grrrrr

Any other ideas?

thanks,

Pete

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 10:07:49 AM »

How many people are you trying to connect to active directory, you can use the delegate authority to an external SMB server. 

In workgoup mode (name the workgroup the same as the domain name).  Then select the delegate to an external SMB server, select all 3 boxes then create a authentication share.  TIP use the IP address of the AD server not the name.  

Every time some one maps to that hidden share \\IP_OF_NAS\hidden_share_name

it will pull the users information from the AD server.

At this point in time there is currently no plans to include more character support for passwords.  

Message Edited by Paul on 09-29-2008 10:36 AM

stickerguy

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 01:08:18 AM »

This is basically what I've done -- I've delegated authority to my external samba server. But the fact that I can't use my password, the one that's used on the entire rest of the network, continues to annoy me. I see no reason for this limitation would appreciate its eventual removal... perhaps with the next firmware update?

I could understand a WARNING about passwords not being secure enough, or whatever, but ultimately it should be left up to the administrator, methinks.

thanks,
Pete

strangely

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 08:37:16 PM »

When I try to join the domain I get an error message:

The Administrator Password contains at least one invalid character.
The Administrator Password may include 256 alphanumerical characters, a hyphen `-`, and an underscore `_`.

My admin password has a $ in it.

Surely this is a joke.  Why would you limit it in this way? 

strangely

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 08:41:01 PM »

By the way, I'm using a LS-W1.0TGL/R1-V3

I updated the firmware to the latest version.

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 09:38:58 AM »

If you set it in workgroup mode, and delegate to the AD server you wont need the password.

you can just map the drive to the hidden folder and it will pull all your information for that user over.  From then on its just windows mapping a drive.  I will run some tests over the weekend to confirm, but this should work for you.

sq2nite

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 05:14:29 AM »
   I too would request a firmware update to all symbols. My password contains a ! and I have no desire to change it. I need to keep the passwod the same as my domian password at work. The Linkstation is on my home network (workgroup), but I connect to office via VPN and need to interact with network resources and do not want muliple passwords.  Thanks

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 04:16:38 PM »
I will make the recommendation to our corporate office.

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 10:15:38 PM »
Message moved to non-public area. Buffalo Technology has determined that messages showing how to rewrite code of our firmware, are too dangerous for most users and change of the code, in any way, immediately voids warranty of our products.
Message Edited by drmemory on 11-25-2008 04:44 PM

nivenj

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 05:37:07 PM »
   Ah well, I'm not surprised really. If anyone wants to know how to solve this issue, PM me and I will reply directly.