Author Topic: LinkStation Live - Auto Power Mode - Advice Needed  (Read 9642 times)

nheather

• Calf
LinkStation Live - Auto Power Mode - Advice Needed
« on: December 13, 2008, 12:17:56 PM »

I would really like to run my LinkStation Live BitTorrent in AUTO but can't get it to work properly.

I have my LinkStation connected onto a switch rather than directly to a PC.

When I have it set to AUTO, it powers up when my PC starts.  But then it behaves as described in the manual when NasNavigator2 is not present - that it is shuts down after a while and then can only be restarted by manually cycling through OFF and then ON or AUTO.

I've also tried powering off my PC whilst it in on to see if it detects this and powers down - it does not - just switches off later by itself as above.

My PC is running NASNavigator2 ver 2.10 RC4.

The LinkStation is running firmware 1.02. 

Any ideas,

Cheers,

Nigel

nheather

• Calf
Re: LinkStation Live - Auto Power Mode - Advice Needed
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 02:28:10 AM »

I've found and installed a newer version of NASNavigator2.

I'm now running Version 11 but this has made no difference and the problem remains.

I'd really appreciate any advice.

Cheers,

Nigel

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 10:39:25 AM »
We are working on a new firmware for this unit, it is due to release soon.  This will correct many of the bittorrent issues

nheather

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 11:30:15 AM »

Paul,

Paul wrote:
We are working on a new firmware for this unit, it is due to release soon.  This will correct many of the bittorrent issues

What do you mean by this exactly.

I'm not having any problems with the BitTorrent features, I'm not even using them.  Or by 'bittorrent issues' are you referring to general issues about the bittorrent version of the product.

If so, is the Auto Power behaviour that I am seeing a known problem?

Cheers

Nigel

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 09:45:39 AM »
We have submitted  several recommendations to our corporate office for fixes, however I will not have release notes until the firmware is released.  As a work around to your solution for now, does it work if you select the manual mode?

nheather

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 12:22:01 PM »

Paul wrote:
As a work around to your solution for now, does it work if you select the manual mode?

Of course it does.  If it didn't it wouldn't be working at all and would have been returned to the retailer.

Is one of the 'several recommendations' that have been submitted related to the Auto Power behaviour that I am experiencing.  The fact that you describe the manual mode as a 'Work around for now' suggests that it is but I'm not convinced you meant that.

All I'm trying to establish is whether this is a known problem in which case I can expect a fix to be released.  Or whether this is something only I am experiencing in which case I can return the unit for replacement or refund.

Cheers,

Nigel

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 12:11:43 PM »
I will try to find out if this is planned to be part of the next firmware fix.

strebormj

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 03:51:38 PM »

Any updates on this, Paul?  I just purchased a 1.0 TB Linkstation Live and am frustrated by this situation as well.   

Thanks

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 11:01:08 AM »
All of the PC'S on the network should be running the nas navigator 2 software.  This software sends keep alive packets to the unit.  As long as this software is running on your machine the unit will stay up.  If this is not the case try to flash the firmware on the unit and set the NAS back to factory defaults from the web interface.

nheather

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 01:34:28 PM »

My god it's like listening to a broken record.

I've reported what the problem is to Buffalo and yet they are still coming out with this rubbish.

Buffalo have some fixation with NasNavigator.  That is not the problem.  The FAQs and even the reply insisted that the problem is not having NASNavigator in the firewall rules.

Whilst this is necessary, it is the cause of this problem yet Buffalo continue to spout the same old rubbish.

The problem is this

Nothing to do with NASNavigator.  It is the NAS Power Management Service (nassvc.exe).  Buffalo makes no mention of this but it is this very program that needs to be in the firewall rules.  The installation puts NASNavigator in the firewall rules but totally misses NASSVC.EXE.  What's more Buffalo don't even seem to know about it nor appear to be able to make use of the information once it has been passed onto them.

So the solution is to manually put the program NASSVC.EXE in the firewall rules and the power management should work fine then.

Now that I have my LinkStation working I think it's a great piece of kit - pity it is let down by Buffalo technical support.

Cheers,

Nigel

Message Edited by nheather on 12-29-2008 01:35 PM
Message Edited by nheather on 12-29-2008 01:36 PM

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 11:07:10 AM »

All issues have been reported, I will pass this detail up as well.  What firewall software are you currently running?

nheather

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 11:59:46 AM »

Windows Firewall (part of Windows XP).

Cheers,

Nigel

gardnose

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 12:37:50 PM »

Interestingly, the Auto power feature on my Linkstation Live 500Gb works with my desktop PC, but not my laptop.

Both are running NAS Navigator 2.10 RC4 - I've also added NASSVC.EXE to the firewalls as Nigel suggests in an earlier post, but still no success with the laptop.

Anyone got any other suggestions as to things I can check?

Other than that, the drive fired up perfectly first time, the software installed, and I was shifting files across to the drive within 5 minutes. Good work Buffalo!