Author Topic: TGLR5/1.0 - restore odyssey  (Read 1253 times)

sansibari

• Calf
TGLR5/1.0 - restore odyssey
« on: November 09, 2010, 06:58:49 AM »

A few days ago, a TGLR5/1.0 startet to beep with error 06 (but no failed HD indication). After googel-ing this error, I tried many different things. Raid-rebuild, Switch off and on different times with mixed results, sometimes it worked for a moment and could even be discovered by the NAS Navigator, but then it vanished again. I discovered, that without a LAN-cable connected, it came up better. Then I booted into EM-mode and tried to transfer the firmware as per the instructions, transmission worked for moment, only to break up later.

Only after all that finally the HD-failure LED came up (HD1). Now I got the replacement drive, transfering of the boot-image worked fine and after rebuilding the RAID, everything seems to work fine again.

Why didnt the HD-failure came up earlier, because that should already have been clear to the system after the boot image could not be correctly loaded anmyore.

After I now read that the boot-image is stored on the hard-disks, it became a bit clearer to me that the faulty HD had something to do with it.

But should the boot-image not be stored on all 4 drives, so that a a failure of a single HD can bring down the whole system?

For the next time, isn't there a possibility to simply plug-in a USB-device with the necessary image-files to restore the system?

AngelsAbys

• El Toro
Re: TGLR5/1.0 - restore odyssey
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 08:05:13 AM »

The boot image is located on each drive.  That is why if a drive does fail it can be removed from the array and the unit still functions under degrade mode, just no redundancy.  If there is ever an error such as an E04 trying to remove disk 1 may produce results that are favorable to gaining access to the unit again.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 08:31:18 AM »

what is the EXACT model number of the Terastation beginning with TS?

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

sansibari

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 04:27:56 AM »

It's a TS-1.0TGL/R5

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 06:07:29 AM »

I would post that over in the Idea Exhange Lounge.

For the next time, isn't there a possibility to simply plug-in a USB-device with the necessary image-files to restore the system?

http://forums.buffalotech.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-Lounge/idb-p/2001?