Author Topic: LS-CHL fails to boot after firmware flash; broken /dev/sda1?  (Read 7171 times)

Imbafreak

• Calf
LS-CHL fails to boot after firmware flash; broken /dev/sda1?
« on: December 13, 2008, 04:08:09 AM »

After i tried to flash my LS-CHL 1TB to 1.02 through my router, I experienced problems with reconnecting to my device. Only a orange light was glowing. I had no access to it at all. Then I disassambled the HDD and connected it to my Windows PC directly. Anyone knows how to get a HDD backup and restore my linkstation live? A backup of the boot partition /dev/sda1 would help as well, i think.

Best regards

Message Edited by Imbafreak on 12-13-2008 04:08 AM

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: LS-CHL fails to boot after firmware flash; broken /dev/sda1?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 10:54:02 AM »
Try putting it back into the linkstation and booting the unit in em mode.  Then you can run the force firmware option to update the drive.

Imbafreak

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 05:44:46 AM »
   Thanks for your quick answer! But how do I get my LS-CHL into EM mode? It's just the orange light glowing and I get no response when pinging 192.168.11.150 via crossover-cable, so I think this is not EM mode?

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 09:43:04 AM »

Youhave to shut the unit off, wait about 90 seconds till its off. Nowwhile holding the function button turn the unit to "ON" and continue tohold the function button for 6 seconds. This should reset the passwordto "password" and you can then change it from there. Now once it powerlight stops blinking blue and turns green try to log in and see if itchanged..

Imbafreak

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 10:36:57 AM »
   Doesn't seem to work for me. After i turned the unit to "ON" while holding the function button and then releasing it after 6 seconds, the unit is just flashing blue for a minute or so. Then it starts its normal boot procedure (means that i hear the HDD start running etc., resulting in a orange glow with no network access).

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 09:02:09 AM »

try this,

1. Move the power switch to the ‘Off’ position(rear). The LinkStation PRODUO will shut down after about 45 seconds.

2. While holding down the function button(rear for 6 sec), movethe power switch to the ‘On’ postion(rear). The Function LED will beginto flash blue.

3. Push the Function button again while the Function LED is flashing.

4. LED on the front will flash Blue, the will turn to Green when process is complete.

Imbafreak

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 10:33:26 AM »
   I tried it again, but it still doesn't work :-( You said the "LinkStation PRODUO.." ... but I've got a Linkstation Live with Bittorrent!

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 09:01:04 AM »
The instructions are the same.  Have you contacted your local buffalo support team?

RonJ

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 04:40:03 PM »

Hi,

I have the same issue.  My drive will not re boot or re-initialize.  I set the drive up with my user name and password, and then I proceeded to change the admin password.  All appeared to work well.

When I went back to the web site to make additional changes, it would not accept my new user login or password, and it would not accept the password for the admin either.

I called tech support.  They had me do exactly what you said in your reply here, but my unit did not reset itself.

When I tried to get back into the web site, it would not accept the original admin "password" or the new one I had set up.

Please help me with what to do next, the guys in tech support are out of options.  They tried to have me update the flash drive, but I couldn't do that without the password, so I am stuck in limbo.

Is 6 seconds too short, Should I continue to hold the function switch for a longer period of time?  I need to reset this unit.

thank you in advance, and Merry Christmas.

RonJ

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2008, 10:18:39 AM »
Try pressing and holding button after the unit has booted for 30 seconds.

iftikar666

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 02:31:55 PM »
   I have the same problem, tried the reinitialise process but getting no green light - any ideas?

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 03:05:37 PM »
What have you tried, did you try all of the steps in this post?  Is this the same unit?  Is the unit booting?  Are you getting the orange light as well?

iftikar666

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 05:07:38 AM »

I have tried all steps in this post and also any other ideas I have found on other posts.

After posting yesterday I was able to force a firmware update using 'password' - once this completed I tried to log onto the web admin and it told me the password was wrong, I cleared my browser cache and tried again and the web page was unavailable.  I then tried to renavigate to the drive and the name had gone from being ls-chl*** to be a string of control chars and the password was not password.

All suggestions gratefully received.

kevin

• El Toro
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 05:39:22 AM »

Try doing a Force Update of the FW again WITH "Deleting User-Config" in the Debug Mode options!

Have you tried logging back in with your old password? It may have reverted back!

Username- "admin"

Password- "password"

both all lowercase

Have you tried a different browser or even computer?

Can you access the data portion... Start> Run> type \\IP address of LS

iftikar666

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 06:40:17 AM »
   I will try this when i get home tonight and update on the results.