Author Topic: Loosing Permissions  (Read 3438 times)

jrowan

• Calf
Loosing Permissions
« on: October 28, 2010, 11:16:49 AM »

I rsync files onto my Linux server from remote locations.  Rsync is very efficient in it does not copy files which have not changed.  I was running out of space on the server so I purchased the Linkstation Quad NAS device.  I wanted to change the destination I was copying to to have it written to the Linkstation.  When I copy files to a SMBFS mounted share every file being copied complains it can not set permissions.  In trying this several times the info on the Linkstation doesn't compare with the source so ALL files are copied ALL the times.  The efficiency of rsync is lost.  I see rsync is one of the few ports available on the Linkstation but I have not been able to rsync files onto it.    Looking through the 96 page PDF manual I find nothing on rsync, telnet, secure shell access to the device. 

How can I configure the LS-Q4.0TL/R5 so it doesn't loose the permissions and owner info?  The device is useless if I end up copying terabytes of information daily when only a small fraction of those change.

jrowan

• Calf
Re: Loosing Permissions via SMB versus RSYNC
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 05:38:06 AM »

After some research I found that the command

rsync linkstationname:: <enter>

showed the array / folders.

More testing and I was able to run

rsync -tuvr .   linkstationname::array1_folder/sub-folder

This took time, the disk drive lights on the linkstation were flickering away and eventually the command appeared to complete.

I was not able to find the files on the Linkstation though.  I opened Windows Explorer, navigated to the "folder", searched for files but nothing found. 

I tried this several times, rsync appeared to run, still can't find files.

rsync  linkstationname:: showed the array1_folder but nothing deeper.

How do I verify the rsync actually replicated files onto the Linkstation?

ngarimu

• Calf
Re: Loosing Permissions via SMB versus RSYNC
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 02:30:46 PM »

jrowan, did you ever get an answer here? If not let me know and I'll do what I can to help.