Author Topic: Novabackup alternative???  (Read 2383 times)

abgeek

• Calf
Novabackup alternative???
« on: October 15, 2010, 11:52:27 AM »
I just purchased a Linkstation Pro LS-XHL, and with it came a copy of Novabackup. After install, the software continually locks up the system its running on, utilizing over 50% of CPU. Furthermore, the backup process does not complete, but instead appears to stop and reset every 15-20 minutes into the backup. I've since uninstalled it. Quite frankly, I'm disappointed that Buffalo would include such poor software with their products - which I've happily used for a while now. I wonder if anyone else has had trouble with Novabackup? Any reliable alternatives that work well with NASNavigator? Thanks for any input.

astrialwks

• Calf
Re: Novabackup alternative???
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 12:06:10 PM »

Did you have the software check for updates?  You could always email support@novastor.com to have them troubleshoot their software since it obviously isn't working properly.

I have heard of people using Acronis, Vise Versa, and Backup Exec with Buffalo NAS products if you are looking for an alternative.  And previously Buffalo storage products came with a copy of Memeo so that should work too.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 01:47:09 PM »

Novabackup is locking up in which OS?  There isn't much we suggest with so little information on what you're running.

abgeek

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 01:59:11 PM »

Sorry, I am using XP Pro - though I was hoping Buffalo would offer an alternative, i.e. an alternate program or something. I tried to install a newer version, but had issues with there being an older version on the system.

In any case, I was looking at buying software. Has anyone had issues using Nero? I just want it to work. Again, really disappointed in Buffalo on this one. I would prefer no software to this.

abgeek

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 02:00:35 PM »

Thanks, and sorry I missed this post before. I've been looking for an alternative, and Acronis seems interesting. Thanks for the suggestion.

imthedude101

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 11:26:45 AM »

Do you have any of the log files for the backup jobs that are failing? What type of device are you backing up to? It may be something as simple as excluding the the NovaBackup application folders from your antivirus scan (both the installed programs directory and the NovaBackup directory in the user folder).