Author Topic: Defragmenting LInkstation  (Read 9265 times)

cewalker

• Calf
Defragmenting LInkstation
« on: December 10, 2008, 03:34:12 PM »

I noticed that accessing some of my files on the linkstation has been slowing.  I was wondering if you can defragment the linkstation like you do a regular harddrive which always improves the performance. And if you can - how?

Model: LS-320GL

Firmware: 1.43

Network: Linksys router

Operating systems: Windows XP SP3

Thanks, Christine

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: Defragmenters LInkstation
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 08:46:23 AM »
XFS file format does not need a defrag like NTFS, however from the web interface you can run a disk check and always update the firmware to increase speed.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: Defragmenting LInkstation
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 08:35:51 AM »
   One other thing, 1.43 firmware???!!! not an official one! Only use the official firmware, installing unsupported FW voids your warranty
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

cewalker

• Calf
Re: Defragmenters LInkstation
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 09:22:46 AM »
   Thanks for the info. Will check for an update and try this weekend.

cewalker

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 09:24:57 AM »

Oops, I rechecked the version number and noticed I mistyped the number s/b - 1.03.  Good catch! Would never think of using anything but the manufacturers.  Thanks.

ralfy

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 12:13:56 PM »

I think these systems defragment on the fly, such that blocks of data are arranged so that they are together when files are written to the disk, but this may slow down file writes. For MS Windows, files are written right away, which makes performance faster but leads to fragmentation.