Author Topic: LS-CHL unable to access UI or folders after firmware update  (Read 3103 times)

Quick-Stream

• Calf
LS-CHL unable to access UI or folders after firmware update
« on: September 18, 2010, 11:09:20 AM »

I have the above linkstation (v2) and since trying to update the firmware to 1.34 I have encounter problems.

The update says all went well and it restarted. NAS Navigator can find it, it has the IP address reserved for it by the router and the sub net is the same and it says version 1.34. The router says it is connected and I can ping it from the PC. Even the PS3 can see it.

If I try to acess via windows explorer or NAS Navigator I can get through the first set of folders  (share/video) then it will not look any further and shows the 'busy' mouse icon.

If I try to get into the settings via IE I can not find the IP address. I type in 198.168.0... etc and it will not find any page, not even the log in screen.

I am unsure but i think i may have forgetten to disable AVG and Adaware during install - I do not have Windows firewall working.

I tried a forced update but that will not work as it keeps saying its already updated. I can not get it to give me a debug mode option even though i changed the .ini file.

If anyone please has any suggestions.

UPDATE: I managed to get debug working but it came back with an error (ACP_STATE_ FAILURE) updateing is aborted. It starts to transfer files then a message pops up, to quick to read, then it flashes this error. It also appears that the memo backup is still working so my PC is able to write. I wonder if it has anything to do with permissions..?

UPDATE2: It seems to be working now. Not sure what happened but :) Sorry for the waste of Post :)

drmemory

• Big Bull
Re: LS-CHL unable to access UI or folders after firmware update
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 05:00:55 PM »

Quick-stream - no need to apologize, just glad it is up and running.

Quick-Stream

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 03:28:39 PM »

Well, I hate to say it but its doing it again.

I tried restarting but it hasnt made a difference.

I have been having trouble setting the time/date on the interface (when I could get in) and seems to be and hour or two either side.  Even if I reset it, it seems to lose it and NAS navigator sometimes reports it is wrong.

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 03:31:30 PM »

make sure the data primary or backup to the LS-CHL is up-to-date, and call your local support - having issues this close together is not a good sign.

Quick-Stream

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 03:42:36 PM »

Amazingly quick response.

Well, I think I have found the problem actually.

I have two connections on my PC - wireless and wired, the wireless adapter tends to stop working infrequently so the wired is there as a (slower) backup.

I have each on a different IP address . I just disabled the wired connection on a hunch and it started working! So, is there anyway to get this to work with both connections enabled or is it a case of setting the router to use only use a certain IP address when it comes to the station?  I can do this myself no trouble, just as long as the LS wont have any trouble.

So there is just this thing with the clock settings. .

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 04:01:20 PM »

not knowing what your router and client wireless products are (and their speed), or why the client/router is intermittent, I wouldn't know if your router is capable of selecting only one data path between your computer and LS-CHL.   I would go with a single route IP route to the LS-CHL - always pick the more consistent data pathway for backup. Never backup over an intermittent data pathway - you could be corrupting files and not know it.

what is your network setup - and speeds of the wired and wireless?

Quick-Stream

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 02:46:52 AM »

I am using a Netgear DGND3300. The wireless adapter is the matching WNDA3100 USB. It is wireless N and connects at 300mbps. The adapter and router are actually less then 1 m away from each as I recently moved the PC and spending so much on them it is not like I am not going to use them.

The adapter only cuts out once every few weeks which it just started doing and I have yet to find out why.  Tried the latest driver but I have yet to look further into it.

The wire I use for PC-router is the only that came with the LS.

EDIT: There is another driver out. i think i know what the problem might have been so will re-install ans see what happens.

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 08:55:35 AM »

Your Netgear router has 4x  1000Mbps (1Gbps) ethernet ports. If you have a Gbps port on your computer, it would be better to just use the ethernet port when your computer is right next to the router. Also, it's best to have wireless clients at least a meter away from the router to ensure the antennas aren't getting overloaded with signal (you can actually get clients and routers too close).

do you have the LS-CHL time set manually or by an external time server (same question for your computer)?

Quick-Stream

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 09:42:43 AM »

Do I not need a 1Gbps cable for that? Windows is showing it only working at 100mbps and the port is set to 1gbps full duplex.

Also I the adapter stopped working suddenly again. I beleive the error code 10 in windows shows that there is a problem with the driver or IRQ. Though why it would work fine then suddenly have a problem is beyond me. Trying a reinstall.

I have tried setting the timer in the LS both manually and external. Though external never seems to get it right.

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 09:53:47 AM »

The cable that comes with the current Linkstations will run at 1Gbps. For your computer, you may have a setting in the Network control that is set to 100. If you have an older ethernet cable - it may be throttling you down to 100.

You mentioned in an earlier post that you may have had some security software turned on during the FW update. It shouldn't hurt to try the update again, with all security software turned off, during the update, and only use the wired connection during the update.

Quick-Stream

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 10:25:55 AM »

The Negear only has 100mbps lan ports.

The wireless is working fine atm. If it goes I will try to sort it with netgear. I think that is most of my trouble. 

The clock settings isnt much trouble so far. I can access the LS, copy/remove files from it so its good so far.

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 10:31:50 AM »

Sorry, on http://www.netgear.com/products/service-providers/routers-and-gateways/dsl-gateways/DGND3300.aspx I read that it has Gigabit ports. Maybe there are a couple different versions of the DGND3300.