Author Topic: How do I install Twonky on Linkstation Duo 2tb (WXL)  (Read 9698 times)

Shampson79

• Calf
How do I install Twonky on Linkstation Duo 2tb (WXL)
« on: September 16, 2010, 07:23:24 AM »
Hi all, Just got my Linkstation and I want to install Twonky onto it, as this is the server I've always used. I'm using a Mac and have configured my NAS to RAID1. I've not added any files to it yet, as I want to get Twonky installed first. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I've been unable to find any info about Twonky on the Linkstation Duo (as opposed to the Pro Duo, which there seems to be lots of posts about). Thanks Sam

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: How do I install Twonky on Linkstation Duo 2tb (WXL)
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 10:49:43 AM »

Twonky media server is installed by default.

Log onto the we admin page using the Linkstations IP address => Extensions => Media Server.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

Shampson79

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 03:26:00 AM »

I don't think Twonky is installed on the Linkstation Duo - I don't have the same search options as I do on my Mac-based Twonky. The only search options I get are 'All tracks', 'Artist Index' 'Artist/Album' 'Folder' 'Genre/Artist' 'Genre/Song' and 'Playlists'. When I select the Artist/Album' option, the tracks aren't in album order. This doesn't happen with Twonky. Any ideas??

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 05:53:23 AM »

Shampson79 wrote:

I don't think Twonky is installed on the Linkstation Duo - I don't have the same search options as I do on my Mac-based Twonky. The only search options I get are 'All tracks', 'Artist Index' 'Artist/Album' 'Folder' 'Genre/Artist' 'Genre/Song' and 'Playlists'. When I select the Artist/Album' option, the tracks aren't in album order. This doesn't happen with Twonky. Any ideas??

Townky 4 is already installed on the Linkstation. It only has limited options compared to your MAC based software but it is definstely installed.

Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

drworm

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 10:09:11 PM »

twonky is most definitely not installed in the linkstation duo. Not at least with firmware 1.4. the media server is somthing called squeezebox and it leaves something to be desired.

mdp

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 11:29:01 PM »

I am a newbie and had to reinstall everything on my LS-w1.0TGL/R1 f/w 3 because the person I bought in from decided to format the hard drives in NTFS.  So I got it back to proper format (I forget the technical details) and downloaded/installed software.

QUESTION:  Did I install TWONKY when I reinstalled the Firmware 3.10 ?  Is PVCONNECT aka TWONKY?

I can't stream media to my UPNP connected dvd player, so is it possible I need to still reinstall/restore the TWONKY portion of the original software?

If so, is that part of a firmware update?  If not, then do I have to get into the telnet and access that way?  I have tried Twonky media Linkstation PRO 4.4.11 but gave up at failuire to connect viz telnet.

Your expert assistance is deeply appreciated.

Mike

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 11:50:36 AM »

DrWorm... The unit DOES come with Twonkey, squeeze box is a completely separate feature. 

MDP if your unit uses PVconnect then you cannot install Twonkey. Our version of Twonkey is built right into the firmware and if you are running a unit that has PC connect then it does not support Twonkey. I would still try and do a force update with 3.10 and then reinitialize the unit. It should be sharing out media to any DLNA certified device. 

mdp

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 12:46:16 PM »

Dear Running Bull,

Oh, I got the PRO DUO because I thought the v3 had Twonky preinstalled?  Can I not restore that condition or is there more than one model/version?

I read that my old quirky d2730 will work with twonky 4.4 as installed on the PRO DUO.  Can you tell me if the same holds for PVCONNECT?

Thanks,

Mike

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 12:51:04 PM »

When you log into your units interface you will have one of two options. If your unit has an option for "media server" then you are running twonkey. If your unit says anything about "PVConnect" or something similar then you are running PVConnect. 

mdp

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 03:45:16 PM »

After I log on the Link station as admin, I get a menu on the right that lists Media Server as one of the choices.  When I select Media Server, it doesn't find my device as a client.  So is this Twonky?

If so, can I reinstall/upgrade it?  Thanks...:robotwink:

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 04:08:22 PM »

Yeah, this is Twonkey. If you want to reinstall it then you have to reinstall the firmware. Follow FAQ 2 of 5 to that. Then I would re initialize it by going to maintenance and then initialization to restore the unit. 

belgz

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 11:11:55 AM »

Hi,

this doesn't have anything to do with linkstation duo 2tb, but linkstation pro LS-VL 2tb. I have a big problem with my DLNA-streaming. for some reason I cannot play .mkv files on my samsung tv.

Correct me if I understood something wrong, this is my first NAS, but I should be able to play movies on my tv directly via my NAS. Without opening my pc? Correct?

If this is the case, how can I do that? Now it just says that "unsupported format" or whatever.

Thank you in advance!

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 02:33:00 PM »

belgz wrote:

Hi,

this doesn't have anything to do with linkstation duo 2tb, but linkstation pro LS-VL 2tb. I have a big problem with my DLNA-streaming. for some reason I cannot play .mkv files on my samsung tv.

Correct me if I understood something wrong, this is my first NAS, but I should be able to play movies on my tv directly via my NAS. Without opening my pc? Correct?

If this is the case, how can I do that? Now it just says that "unsupported format" or whatever.

Thank you in advance!

.mkv files wont play, you need to have them in a supported format like .avi

belgz

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 07:15:23 AM »

So there is no chance to play .mkv:s? That means that sub-support is gone. That is quite odd but something I have to live with then I guess. Thought that there might be some way to install twonky on linkstation pro..  But thank you for your answer :)

Novox

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 11:23:48 AM »
For me twonkey is works find on linkstation duo wxl. I can streaming movie in dlna (fw 1.52)