Author Topic: Access Restrictions causing files to "disappear"  (Read 1615 times)

Adrian232

• Calf
Access Restrictions causing files to "disappear"
« on: September 15, 2010, 05:56:35 PM »

We recently upgraded to a TeraStation III Rackmount (TS-RX6.0TL/R5) from a TeraStation II. We have it set up in RAID 10 using all 4 drives, and created 3 shared folders: setup, backup, and share. We decided to set our "setup" folder with access restrictions, created a bunch of users based on our network, and gave some write permissions and others read only (including guest). I then moved the old "setup" folder from our TSII onto the TSIII using my mac (connected via afp), and verified all the files were there and accessible.

However, from other machines logged in under a different user, many of the folders inside the "setup" folder were listed as blank, when there should be plenty of files inside. Our Linux server (connected via NFS) gives errors when trying to cd to those directories, and shows the files/directories listed as user 1000, group 100 (users). The other shared folders are mounted the same way, and list as user 99, group 99 (nobody:nobody). Attempting to change the user/group or file access permissions using various methods (shell, FTP, windows/mac file system) is either impossible or gives permission errors.

This problem does not occur on any of the other two shared folders which have never been access restricted. I have also since unchecked Access Restrictions on the "setup" folder and clicked save, but the problem still exists. If I am logged in as the user I uploaded the files with, I can see and access all files (no matter what machine I am running), anybody else (including admin) I get this problem.

I've upgraded the firmware to the latest version (1.40), and the problem still exists.

All we wanted to do was prevent "setup" from being written to by non-authorized users. Please help!

Adrian232

• Calf
Re: Access Restrictions causing files to "disappear"
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 02:50:07 PM »

Bump. This issue is still affecting us, and I cannot seem to find any way to change the permissions on our files so that others can use them. The way this is currently, ACL's are useless.

drmemory

• Big Bull
Re: Access Restrictions causing files to "disappear"
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 04:16:50 PM »

Adrian - for a faster fix than forum help, please call your local Buffalotech support center. The USA/Canada 24/7/365 center number is 866-752-6210