Author Topic: How to send shutdown signal to Linkstation?  (Read 30441 times)

keito

• Calf
How to send shutdown signal to Linkstation?
« on: September 15, 2010, 05:18:20 AM »

I have a Linkstation Quad (LS-QL F/W 1.05) and need to be able to shutdown the device using a URL.

Other Linkstation models allow the user to shutdown via sending a signal via the network like so

http://192.168.0.xxx/cgi-bin/admin/reboot?action=shutdown

This url fails to work, and when I login to my NAS and attempt to shutdown via the admin panel, the shutdown button doesn't have a link with a clear URL, such as the one above, instead it is masked within javascript.

The reason I would like to be able to do this is so I can shutdown the device from within XBMC once finished using it.  So can anyone help me with this?  A clear and concise URL for shutdown would have been much better IMHO.

I know it's been asked before also, but why oh why is there no way to ping the NAS with a WoL (Wake-on-LAN) to turn it on too?!?!  This would be awesome, as I could turn my XBMC media centre on and the NAS at the same time, then (hopefully) turn the NAS off with my XBMC HTPC too.  Why is this not been added with a FW update yet?  There have been requests about this for years on here.

keito

• Calf
Re: How to send shutdown signal to Linkstation?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 02:46:22 PM »

Is there noone out there who can answer my plea?

Musicman50

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 09:37:43 PM »

I'm glad I stumbled upon this post for using a single command to shutdown the Linkstation.

I hope experiment and try other line commands..

Not sure if anyone even reads the posts on this forum anymore, I have found more information on other

sites.

I don't think there will ever be a WOL command, as I don't think the LinkStation Network Interface has that ability.

If it does SHAME on Buffalo for not at least releasing information as to how it could be done.

For now I very delighted with my LinkStation, and the ability to turn it off if only to save 10 watts of energy.

CapnSmith

• Buffalo
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 02:40:59 PM »

To my knowlegde, there is no URL command to turn off the Linkstation Quad.

However, using the 'Auto' power switch on the back of the Linkstation, and the Nas Navigator 2 software, the Linkstation will sleep when the Nas Navi software quits, or the host PC shuts down.

shadowlight

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 05:01:45 PM »

Any new info on this?

I think quite common use case for some kind of URL-request (http request) based shutdown

is the one, where UPS is connected to pc and the pc shutdown script could also ask

the Buffalo (in my case LinkStation Duo LS-WXL) to shut down too.

In my case I have multiple users in the home network where the LinksStation is used

for information sharing (it is NAS) and some of those users use laptops (battery power) and

some are tower pc:s, so the auto-off auto-energy-saver (service running in each computer)

is not a solution. However, in my UPS and a custom command (such as a custom Windows batch-file)

can be run when the UPS is about to run out of battery and this url, if it is possible

to command NAS to shut down with a url (say using utilities like curl.exe or wget.exe) would

be a very handy solution. Laptop users - who  could be possibly totally unaware of the power loss

would just experience it by seeing the WLAN drop off at some moment but before that

the NAS would have had gracefully shut down closing any open files as they should.

So, does anybody know any new information on this? Surely Buffalo must

have thought the "what about if the UPS is connected to pc"-scenario too. Or have they?

Of course, writing quite a complex http-session script from a scratch, which would interactively

log into the Buffalo using the WEB GUI and select the shutdown URL is one last option.

dgangstee

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 09:53:40 PM »

I would also like to see a command line to shut down the Linkstation Quad remotely.

My PC goes to sleep after a half hour of non-use and this causes the linkstation to shut down because of NasNavigator, however laptop users still want access to the Linkststation.

My APC ups has Powerchute software to gracefully shutdown the PC (even if asleep) in the event of a power failure and I have the option to have a command line run to execute a URL or program during shutdown. It would be ideal to be able to issue a shutdown command the the Linkstation when a power failure triggers the UPS to issue a shutdown to the PC.

A startup command would also be nice but I can restart it manually just as easily.

BTW my firmware has a UPS page but all the options are grayed out. I'm not sure how this would work anyway since the UPS is commanding the PC to shutdown.

shadowlight

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 06:07:47 AM »

Just a status update: My issue remains still unsolved as of today, but then I thought what Buffalo representatives could reply to this kind of question when standing in their shoes. They might say: "Why don't you install your UPS client software to the laptop clients as well that they stop gracefully accessing NAS before the shutdown occurs". This is of course one workaround, but it is clearly unnecessary overhead to maintain and verify that it always works in every device. Also, there can be smaller mobile devices and tiny-linux-boxes where this luxury (or overhead) is not even available.  If the Buffalo NAS would "know" it has received shutdown command that it should respect (to not auto-powerup right away, but wait until power is lost-and-recovered OR somebody presses physical buttons OR it receives special "cancel shutdown/resume"-operation command [yes, this would be classified luxury!] ) then it could safely shut down operations before the final power failure, as after receiving the shutdown request it would just deny starting any new file operation requests (like opening file for writing), but would allow the ongoing operations continue until some safety-window encloses. With safety window I mean that NAS should be allowed some time after the shutdown request to gracefully shut down all ongoing operations before the power is lost. So, here is the use case and rough functional description - go on with it, Buffalo SW engineers! :)