Author Topic: HD-CX1.0TU2 drive  (Read 1417 times)

vilovian

• Calf
HD-CX1.0TU2 drive
« on: September 14, 2010, 11:54:09 AM »

Hello out there, 

I am having an challenge with my Drivestation CXU2 1 TB drive. HD-CX1.0TU2

I am running Windows Vista on my Compaq laptop.

I bought the drive while I was working in Korea.  I am back in Canada now and I have had some problems with it recently.  The read and write speeds are excessively slow, probably a 100x slower than what it was.  I can l see all the files on the drive but it takes a long time to read, write or copy them to my computer.

I have tried using a WD diagnostics software on the drive after I found out what kind of drive (WD Caviar Green)  was in the external case. The diagnostics tool found that there was a problem with the USB connection.  I tried using different USB cables and connecting it to different computers all with the same results. 

I thought maybe there was a problem with the small card that connects to the SATA connection of the actual WD Caviar harddrive which has the power adaptor and the USB connection on it.  

I took the harddrive out of the external case and put it in an external USB SATA drive reader and I am unable to see the drive in MY COMPUTER.

When I went into Computer Management into the Storage -- Disk Management options (by clicking the START button, right clicking on COMPUTER and selecting Manage), I could see the drive but it hadn't been initialized.  I tried initializing it but now all the data is unallocated.

Because this didn't work I tried pluging the SATA card (that is a part of the external drive) back onto the hard drive and I can again see the files on the drive but without useable transfer speeds. I am basically back to square one.

So my questions:

Is the data on these drives accessable without the sata card included in the external drive?

If the answer is no to the above, is it possible to buy a replacement SATA card for the drive?

If the answer is no all together, what other options do I have beside sending it into Buffalo to get repaired?

Thanks a lot for any input you can give me. I appreciate it!!

AnalogX64

• Calf
Re: HD-CX1.0TU2 drive
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 02:02:46 PM »

I'm having the same issue described and I went through the same procedure.  I took the drive out and tried to read from it on a hard drive docking bay and windows didnt recognize the partition.  But when I reconnect it back to the controller that came with the drive I can read from it but very very slow.

So right now I'm trying to copy all the files to another hard drive, what normaly would take 10 minutes to copy is going to take over 6 hours.