Author Topic: Linkstation Duo LS-WXL media server issue  (Read 46888 times)

ndg_uk

• Calf
Re: Linkstation Duo LS-WXL media server issue
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2010, 04:20:43 AM »

Any update as to when we'll get a new firmware with a working DLNA server?

joe78

• Calf
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2010, 10:55:54 AM »

Thank you guys for helping me get 1.33 working without getting the Media server screwed up due to the automatic update.

I really hope Buffulo fixes this in the next firmware update. It's a real pain to do all the steps, especially getting root and editing the twonky.sh file.

After tickering around for a few hours I managed to successfully remove the auto update line. If anybody needs help getting through the things let me know. I will be glad to help out.

Special thanks to  hubertusw for his instructions.

yoshi2000

• Calf
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2010, 09:09:38 AM »

@joe78: Did you get it to work with the latest itunes10? Can you see the buffalo shared library on the left side?

I saw that this is your first posting and I don't know where you have discussed the solution in this forum. Would appreciate if you can share the steps you have done.

ChouchenLolo

• Calf
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2010, 06:16:53 PM »

@joe78

I gladly accept your offer of helping us!!!

I managed to downgrade to FW 1.33 but I am struggling to remove the auto update line.

I am not really an IT guy and I am stuck after line 4 for the instructions to gain root access (http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Category:LS-WXL#Gain_Root_Access)

(thanks for the links hubert by the way!!!)

I could find the index.php file in www/htdocs but I do not know how to open it. And even if I could open it, the remaining of the instructions is too much tecnical for me and I would not know what to do.

So if you could try to explain this in simple words and step by step, this would be great.

In the meanwhile, I will keep my LinkStation running to avoid the automatic update of the twonky server.

Cheers,

assJack1

• Calf
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2010, 06:56:53 AM »

I have two of these devices.  One w/ firmware 1.30 and one w/ 1.34.  FW1.30 works flawlessly - which is why I bought a second unit.  Unit-2 (the one w/ FW1.34) MS acts like a piece of junk.  Media server just does not show files. 

So, here I have two units.  One is great and the other is just down right not working -and I KNOW it's the Buffalo device.  The best thing is that I can verify setting amongst the devices, so I know that they are configured correctly.

I am going to try to downgrade my FW to 1.30 but can't find it on the website (thanks Buffalo for hiding these really well!).  But, I have managed to find 1.24, 1.26, 1.31, 1.33.   I'll start with rolling back to 1.31 (closest to my working 1.30) and see what happens.

ChouchenLolo

• Calf
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2010, 12:15:21 PM »

After a second thought, I think it will be easier for me to downgrade to the last version which has no issue with the media server.

Additionally, I would like to have utorrent as bittorrent client.

Does anyone know (and preferably have the link) of the latest firmware with utorrent and with the media server working fine?

Cheers

ChouchenLolo

• Calf
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2010, 06:51:48 PM »

Speaking of utorrent...

Tonight, I realised that utorrent does not work anymore since I downgraded from FW 1.34 to FW 1.33.

I can open the utorrent WebUi page, I can add a torrent but the software does not see any seeds or peers.

This is very strange as utorrent was working fine when I first upgraded from FW 1.19 (still with Download Manager instead of utorrent) to FW 1.34. I did not have to change anything to the internal settings.

Then, when downgrading to 1.33 to fix the issue with the media server incurred by 1.34, utorrent stopped finding seeds/peers.

I tried to return to 1.34 (to double check) without success, utorrent keep not finding seeds/peers.

Now the questions:

1) Does this issue ring a bell to anybody? If yes, did you manage to fix the problem?

2) Does anyone have saved old versions of the firmware for the LinkStation Pro, so that I can downgrade it down to a version with the media server working fine AND with the original Downloads Manager instead of utorrent?

AAHHH !!!! I wish I never had updated this firmware!!!

For info, the problem does not come from the torrent file itself. I tried it with a version of utorrent installed on my computer and everything worked fine.

Thanks a lot for your help,

Cheers,

gantcliff

• Calf
« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2010, 03:16:35 AM »

Hi there,

I am running firmware version 1.24 and the media server and bittorrent both work fine.  I've tried all the later versions of the firmware but have always reverted back to 1.24 as I've never been able to get the media server working with the later versions.

Cheers.

yoshi2000

• Calf
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2010, 04:08:35 AM »

@gantcliff.  Did you try using the latest itunes? Did you see the shared folder on the left side of itunes?

ChouchenLolo

• Calf
« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2010, 09:11:12 AM »

@gantcliff

Do you know where I could find this FW 1.24 for the LinkStation Pro LS-XHL?

In the links given by Hubert (page 2 of this topic), the firmwares 1.33 and 1.34 are OK for all the LinkStations but the 1.24 seems to be only for the LS-WXL.

Can I use it anyway or should I look for a proper FW 1.24 for the LS-XHL?

Cheers,

ikester

• Calf
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2010, 10:04:23 AM »

For what it's worth here is the response I got from TS on this issue.

We are aware there are issues with the Media Server in the latest firmware. Unfortunately we haven’t got any official fix for it at the moment. This is the reason why we can just suggest you to try the following procedure which we have succeed in a few occasions.

1) Reset the unit in the System -> Restore/Format tab.

2) Make sure the LinKStation has access to internet (the screenshot from the Network tab wasn’t attached to your previous email). In the Extensions -> Media Server tab click a number of times to the update DTCP-IP button.

You may need to go through the update DTCP-IP procedure 3 or 4 times for the Media Server to start again.

3) Full FW update in debug mode. This will delete the data on your unit.

1. Please get the latest firmware from our website:

http://www.buffalo-technology.com/support/downloads

In the Downloads page you can select the model number from the drop-down menu and download the latest firmware update file. Save it on your desktop and extract it creating a new folder.

2. Disable any firewall/antivirus installed on your computer. Also, be sure to have your PC connected with an Ethernet cable to the router the NAS is connected with, no wireless connection.

3. Within the extracted firmware folder on your Desktop open up *updater.ini in Wordpad or Notepad.

· Modify it as follow:

[Flags]

VersionCheck = 0 (modify this line from 1 to 0)

· Add this lines:

[SpecialFlags]

Debug = 1

4. Save the modifications and start the *updater.exe (the application) file. Right click the title bar of the Updater window and select Debug (D). This will bring up the Debug options.

5. Select the following ones:

· Do not check version : Install the firmware without checking if it's an older/newer version that the one actually installed

· Force Update : This will have the program force the update even if it detects the same version was already installed.

· Erase User Config : Takes your unit configuration back to default

· Rebuild Table Partition : Deletes and recreates the table partition of the unit. THIS WILL ERASE DATA ON THE UNIT

6. Click on OK and finally on Update to run the firmware installation.

Don’t hesitate to call us back if you need any further support.

ChouchenLolo

• Calf
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2010, 11:25:06 AM »

All,

I find a solution to my problem with utorrent here: link

Sorry to have polluted this topic about that. I thought this was due to the FW update.

So now I am back with the LinkStation on FW1.33 with utorrent and the media server running.

I will just make sure that the LinkStation is not connected to internet when I reboot it.

Unless if someone can provide me a former version of the firmware with utorrent and the twonky media server that does not update when rebooting the NAS.

Cheers,

assJack1

• Calf
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2010, 04:40:52 PM »

Tried installing FW 1.33, 1.31, and 1.24 and all did not fix the problem of not having files show up in the DLNA media players.  They installed onto the drive just fine, but after loading on one simple media file - the players just do not see the file.  To get the media server to work I was forced to have an internet connection - so I had to update.

My first unit w/ F 1.30 works fantastic.  My first WorldBook also works fantastic. This new unit, FW, simply does not.  Could it be defective?  Well perhaps - but I am convinced f it is defctive - it's a software/Firmware cause.

I'm done pulling my hair out over this.   I'm returning it and going to get another WD World Book...already got my RMA....

ChouchenLolo

• Calf
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2010, 06:46:49 AM »

@assjack1,

A few things:

- This is true that 1.33 has an issue with the media server if you update it. I cannot tell for the 1.31 has I have not tried it and nobody mentioned it on this topic. However, based on what I could read in this topic, you should not have any issue with 1.24. Everybody said that 1.24 was working fine. The issue with the media server appeared in the later releases

- Can you give us a few details about your installation? I do not understand why you need to have the internet connection for your media server to work fine. Your LinkStation needs to be connected to your router (of course) but your router itself does not require to be connected to the internet.

- Additionally, the problem is not have the LinkStation always connected to internet, the problem is to have the LinkStation connected while you turn on your LinkStation as the update of the media server is made on the boot of the LinkStation.

What you should do is:

- Disconnect your router from internet,

- Turn your LinkStation on,

- Install the firmware you want,

- Once, the installation is finished, you can reconnect your router to internet.

Then, anytime you turn your LinkStation off, you will need to disconnect your router from internet anytime your turn the LinkStation on again.

Last question: How long do you wait before checking that a file is on the Media Server after loading your test file (which I assume is a multimedia file (video (not mkv), music, photo))?

Sometimes it is a bit long to see the file.

Cheers

joe78

• Calf
« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2010, 07:15:07 AM »

Hi there, I just saw all these posts on the thread, haven't logged in for a few days. Did @ChouchenLolo and @yoshi2000 manage to get it working? If not I will try to post in more details the steps required.