Author Topic: Linkstation Duo LS-WXL media server issue  (Read 46879 times)

jrmyeh

• Calf
Re: Linkstation Duo LS-WXL media server issue
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2010, 03:08:03 PM »

Hubertusw,

Thanks for the help, but that looks fairly technical, and I'm really just an end user, who paid for a product advertised to do certain things, who found the product falling short. Looking around these forums seems to show a lot of other people in my situation. I'm not a computer programmer, or an IT guy. I brought a NAS, and it doesn't work as advertised - pure and simple. The value of my wasted time has already surpassed the worth of the device.

It seems that Buffalo's marketing model relies on a hit and run strategy - they get to to buy one thing, you wise up and don't buy another, but by then they've made their money. I guess that works for their bottom line, but it's poor business strategy, and I don't expect to see them around in this market for very long - word will get out, and their share will drop.

If there is a solution that doesn't involve working around in the guts of the unit, and can be learned and successfully executed in under an hour, I'm all ears....

jrmyeh

• Calf
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2010, 03:11:37 PM »

And also, in case this helps anyone else avoid a waste of their time, I downgraded all the way to 1.24. Still won't work. iTunes shows the server, and I click on it, and it tries to load for a second, then stops, and that's it. That firmware version should have put me before all this bad twonky stuff that I've seen associated with 1.33 and 1.34.

It just doesn't work.

yoshi2000

• Calf
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2010, 11:11:22 PM »

@jrmyeh. Have you tried downloading the latest iTunes just released end of last week? It is supposed to fix the problem. See http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2565874&start=15&tstart=255

I haven't tried it. Let me know if it works with the firmware 1.24 and 1.34.

jrmyeh

• Calf
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2010, 11:40:32 PM »

That was a different problem. Under iTunes 10, you saw the server, but no content. That's been fixed. The problem I'm having is an older one - you don't see the server after cycling the power on the NAS - not until you do a firmware reset (which kills all your settings).

franbour

• Calf
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2010, 02:42:26 AM »

I have seen on Japan Buffalo Web that 1.37 release of firmware was available today. Wait and see ...

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2010, 07:59:44 AM »

i can almost gaurantee you that 1.37 will not resolve the media server issue. Look at the release notes (you may need to brush up on your Japanese :P )

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

franbour

• Calf
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2010, 12:21:53 PM »

Ver.1.37

• LS-VL?????LS-WVL????????????
  • ???????????php.ini?Web??????????????????????
  • i-mode?Web????????????????????

:smileyvery-happy:

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2010, 12:25:53 PM »

taken from google translate:

* LS-VL series, LS-WVL support for the series.

* The screen changes from the Web to fix php.ini settings are not reflected on the server.

* I-mode version does not work Fixed a problem with Web access.

No media of the media server, it will more than likely be an update through the DTCP itself, not a FW update.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

ndg_uk

• Calf
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2010, 09:43:59 AM »

No sign of an update to the media server?

Poor poor show Buffalo....

funkmaster

• Calf
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2010, 01:26:50 PM »

Same problem here!

My TV (Samsung UE40C6710) recognizes the Linkstation Duo LS-WXL (firmware 1.34) but it can't list my files.

No files (pictures, MP3s, Videos etc.) are shown on the TV, but my Linkstation is full of them.

There must be a solution...

I am thankfull for any help!

jrmyeh

• Calf
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2010, 04:25:16 PM »

Ok.....time for me to revise my commentary....

Turns out the media server on 1.24 DOES work. The two 1.3 versions definitely were broken, but 1.24 has been serving me faithfully for a week now. I have the NAS set to power down every night, and every next day my Mac (running iTunes 10.0.1) pulls up the NAS media list (all mp3's) without a problem. Well.....it takes a minute, but there are like 60,000+ of them, so I'm happy with that.

Short answer ---- you want media server capability on the LS-XHL? Downgrade firmware to 1.24. Done.

Oh.....and I'll never be upgrading the firmware again.

Interesting way Buffalo does things, huh?

yoshi2000

• Calf
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2010, 10:14:32 PM »

@jrmyeh. Do you see the NAS shared library in the itunes? I still struggle to get iTunes 10.0.1 to see the shared library. I have both PC and Mac - neither can see the shared folder. I am also running on fw 1.24. It works fine though on itunes 9.2

franbour

• Calf
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2010, 03:38:03 PM »

There is another thing to consider with 1.24 ! You can access the configuration pages through "your.linkstorage.ip.adress:9050" in a web browser.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2010, 02:31:29 PM »

@yoshi2000: If the issue is not present in one version of iTunes, but in another then it most likely would be the software in my best estimation.

dcurrier

• Calf
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2010, 12:56:04 PM »

I bought one of these from Dell last week.  When I hooked it up and powered it on the power light never stopped blinking so after an hour or so I called tech support.  They had me download and install the new 1.34 firmware.  At the end of the process,  I got this message

"Linkstation has booted up as an emergency mode. Updating may be failure. Please reboot the Linkstation again and confirm it boots up."

The Nav found the device but listed the network as UNKNOWN and always showed the drive in EM mode.

We tried this about 4 times.

It came up in EM mode each time so he had me return it and get another drive.  The new one came this AM and it acted the same as the prior one.  Again Buffalo tech support had me try the new firmware and had he same results.  They told me to get yet another drive.

This is a simple Windows based network with 4 machines all running XP.  I tried the process on 2 of the 4 machines just in case some other Anti virus or other software was getting in the way.  I find it unlikely that 2 machines in a row would fail the same way but I suppose its possible.

Anyhow they told me to get another machine but I'm not sure how Dell would like that.

Judging from this thread it seems like a firmware issue.

Any thoughts?

David