Author Topic: Linkstation Duo LS-WXL media server issue  (Read 46887 times)

ndg_uk

• Calf
Re: Linkstation Duo LS-WXL media server issue
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2010, 04:34:34 PM »

Last numpty question!

I've just installed 1.33 and the dlna server still isn't working.  Am I right in saying that I should do the update process without an internet connection to stop it upgrading to the duff version of Twonky?

Thanks

Unhappy09

• Buffalo
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2010, 05:39:09 PM »

hubert, I want it to update to the newest version of Twonky and I have a live internet connection at all time, why would it not be updating?

....Would be really nice if someone from Buffalo would chime in on this. I would love to have a newer version of Twonky installed. Thanks

hubertusw

• Calf
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2010, 05:50:40 PM »

Yes, internet connection has to be cut during the installation of the new firmware. Otherwise the crappy version is being downloaded and installed automatically.

hubertusw

• Calf
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2010, 06:09:06 PM »

You can easily install a newer version the the twonky server such as http://www.twonkyforum.com/downloads/6.0.1/twonkymedia-linkstation-pro-6.0.1.zip.

Installation

1. Copy the fie to /usr/local
  2. Unzip the file: unzip twonkymedia-linkstation-pro-6.0.1.zip -d twonkymedia-linkstation-pro-6.0.1
  3. Stop the twonky server: /etc/init.d/twonky.sh stop
  4. Save the current version by renaming the directory: mv twonky twonkymedia-linkstation-duo-4.4.19_e2
  5. Create a link pointing the new version: ln -s twonkymedia-linkstation-pro-6.0.1 twonky
  6. Start the new twonky server: /etc/init.d/twonky.sh start
  7. Check if it is running: http://<your IP>:9050/config
  8. You can also monitor syslog for further information: tail -f /var/log/messages
  9. For a fallback to version 4.4.19 you just have to stop the server, remove the link and create a new one pointing to the old directory. Now you can easily switch between the two version by just changing the link.

Unfortunately, the new version requires a registration key which is not available to me. Any idea where to find the key for my current version 4.4.19 ?

Unhappy09

• Buffalo
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2010, 06:34:43 PM »

Hubert you are talking to a total novice here, I dont understand half of the stuff you are discribing. I got as far as downloading the file, but I cannot do the rest. I dont even know were to look for these entried. For example, I dont know any other way to stop the media server function besides going into my web interface for the Linkstation and turning off the Media Server function. I think my problem might be that I have a Linkstation Live while you have a different porduct. I would really love to upgrade to the latest and would be willing to buy a new license but I don't think its possible with my unit.

ndg_uk

• Calf
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2010, 01:32:29 PM »

Working like a dream!

Thanks to everyone for their help

ndg_uk

• Calf
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2010, 04:40:25 PM »

ok spoke to soon! 

If I power off my drive, when I restart it, the media server doesn't run and I need to go into the admin section and tell it to refresh the library now then it shows up!

This happens for both 1.24 firmware and 1.33.

Any ideas?

(I just with Buffalo would actually fix the 1.34 firmware!!!!!)

Thanks

ndg_uk

• Calf
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2010, 03:03:46 PM »

Think the problem might be my impatience!

Seems if I leave the drive to boot up and wait a wee while the media server appears.  Its a bit slow (like myself!)

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2010, 03:31:29 PM »

I would like to substitute that "slow" with impetuous.  It's alright we've all been there :D

ndg_uk

• Calf
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2010, 02:57:26 AM »

Ok, this is now royally doing my head in!

Sometimes when my drive starts up, the DLNA server appears after about 5 mins, other times it just doesnt show ever!!!!!

Arrggghhhh!

I can't be the only one having this problem (but maybe the only one moaning about it!!) 

Without any fancy hacking of the nas drive, is there any way I can telnet onto it to find out if there is an error of some sort which is causing the DLNA server to fail?

jrmyeh

• Calf
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2010, 10:56:29 PM »

You guys sound like you're having problems similar to mine. I've got a LS-XHL, not a LS-WXL, but I'm going to assume the nuts and bolts are similar.

I've set up my media server, and it (eventually) successfully sees all 67,000+ music files, they play well in iTunes (I'm using a Mac), and everything's right with the world. Then I turn off the NAS (I cycle it off at night to conserve its life), back on the next day, and poof - no NAS media server share shown in iTunes. I try getting the OS to load the music share separately (through Finder), I try restarting the media server, then opening the modify dialogue to make sure everything is still set correctly, then making it refresh - all no go. The NAS share never comes back up in iTunes.

This isn't a NAS media server share comes up, but comes up empty problem - I fixed that by updating to iTunes 10.0.1. This is a no share appears at all problem.

The only way I've found around this is to reset the NAS back to factory defaults, then reprogram the media server. Of course, this means reprogramming all my user folders, permissions, etc, etc, and is a serious pain. Oh - and I can't ever turn the NAS off again, lest I do all this over again.

Does this have to do with the current firmware (1.34), or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

Parallax78

• Calf
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2010, 10:23:07 AM »

i have a similar problem.  Except with my LS-WXL,  Windows MP and iTunes could see it but would not connect.  I reset the machine by switching it off, holding down function and switching it on, after 6 secs release function and press again for another 6 secs.  After this the Linkstation shows up in my Media Player as PVconnect (ls-wxl980) and everything is fine!  I can even log into twonky on <ip>:9050

If I do anything like log into the web admin page or plug in a usb drive it all goes belly up and reverts back to Twonky which doesnt seem to connect in my media players.

And it still wont see any USB drives, not even a buffalo HDD.  I think i'm going to cut my losses and buy a Qnap.

jrmyeh

• Calf
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2010, 10:54:30 AM »

Well - it looks like I've learned my lesson then.

Downgraded to firmware 1.33. No help. Same problem. Disappearing NAS media server after NAS restart.

And by the way, I did consider that this was due to the fact that I have 60,000 songs. So, I set up a test folder on the NAS, put ONE mp3 into it, and have experienced all the same problems after NAS restart.

I'm sick of this - it's been a complete waste of my time.

Can anyone recommend other brands of NAS that they've tried, tested, and found to be true to their advertising. Because this one isn't.

Parallax78

• Calf
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2010, 01:06:09 PM »

QNAP TS-210 

This is the one I am buying on monday morning.  It doesnt come with any HDD's but you can cut your losses and put the HDD's from the Linkstation into it.  Hey presto a good NAS system!

They sell for around £170 on Amazon.

hubertusw

• Calf
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2010, 01:31:48 PM »

There is a solution for Media Server disappearing after restart. You may want to check this: http://forums.buffalotech.com/t5/Storage/Linkstation-Duo-LS-WXL-media-server-issue/m-p/40406#M27698

The easiest way is to start with a forced firmware update while disabling the internet connection. After that you neet to get root access in order dot modify /etc/init.d/twonky.sh. That's it!