Author Topic: Linkstation Duo LS-WXL media server issue  (Read 46882 times)

joe78

• Calf
Re: Linkstation Duo LS-WXL media server issue
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2010, 07:28:48 AM »

Since you have gotten www and the webserver working, you can start with the PHP stuff.

http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Category:LS-WXL#Gain_Root_Access

What they mean by adding that line to get root is this:

Go to the newly created shared folder called www, and find the index.php file. Replace the contents of this file with the PHP script in item 8. You can use a text editor. Since I am on a mac i used Tomato. I think notepad will do too.

Now to execute this script, you need to go to your webbrowser and point to this index.php. You need to enter the NAS IP address followed by the port number and the file name. In this case index.php.

You have now achieved root access.

As I mentioned previously, I am on a mac. So to gain ssh access, I used terminal. I am not sure how this works on a windows machine.

In terminal ssh to the ipaddress of your NAS. Looks like:

ssh root@ipaddress

If you get prompted for a password just press enter. You should now have access to your NAS via SSH.

go to the specified directory via: cd /etc/init.d

Now you need to edit the twonky.sh file. For this I used vi editor. Check out http://www.cs.colostate.edu/helpdocs/vi.html for the commands.

Roughly you will need to open twonky.sh with vi. Scroll to line 250 and insert # before this line. Save the file and you are done. Exit from vi, exit from terminal.

Now just make sure you do not click on update DTCP-IP in the Linkstation Media server settings.

Now you should be running utorrent and your mediaserver won't bugout after a restart. Hope this helps. I am not very good at writing instructions. :)

yoshi2000

• Calf
« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2010, 09:24:07 AM »

@joe78: No luck so far. I have even upgraded to the latest firmware just released ver 1.37. Still cannot see the shared folder in my itunes10. The other PC with itunes9 works though. So, there is still compatibility issue between Buffalo NAS and itunes10 though some said it has with the latest itunes release.

ChouchenLolo

• Calf
« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2010, 10:49:08 AM »

Joe78,

Thanks a lot for your explanation.

It is quite clear and I can understand most of it even when not in front off the proper files you are talking about (I am at work just now :smileytongue:).

However, as I said in a later post, I think I will not try to modify the LinkStation just now.

My LinkStation is on most of the time (for bittorrent and ftp server) and I turn it off very rarely so this is not really a problem for me to just disconnect it from internet the few times I need to re-start it.

I will wait for a new release of the firmware that fixes the bug.

However, I will keep this topic in my favorites and I will come back to it if the firmware takes to long to come or if I have to turn off/on the LinkStation more often.

Thanks a lot for your help anyway, it is much appreciated.

Cheers,

assJack1

• Calf
« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2010, 07:40:14 PM »

Hi. I didn't mean to say the media server had to be hooked up to the Internet. What I meant was that another poster said to disconnect from the Internet when asked to update DTCP. Iam reporting that to even start the server I had to update DTCP and to do that - I was forced to connect. It's just opposite what someone else stated. Everytime I tried to start the server, LS said to update DTCP. Did this for every firmware I tried. to answer your other question,I'd place one file that I know works and wait up to 24 hours. . Still no luck

ChouchenLolo

• Calf
« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2010, 04:30:01 AM »

@assjack1

Concerning your point when you say that you are forced to update the DTCP when enabling the media server, I think I see what message you are talking about.

When you are in the LinkStation menu and enable the media server, a pop up message appears asking you to update the DTCP and for this you need to be connected.

Actually by 'updating DTCP' you should understand 'update the media server'. This is exactly the problem: you do not want to update the DTCP.

Consequently, you just can discard the message. Keep the LinkStation disconnect from internet and click 'OK'. Then wait for a bit and the media server should work normally.

When you think about it, a firmware should be fit-for-purpose. I.e. when you install it, you should be able to use it immediately without doing anything else (like an update from internet).

Otherwise, anybody who intended to use the NAS disconnected from internet would be screwed. I admit that willing to use the LinkStation disconnected from internet would be a strange decision as you would just give up 90% of the capabilities of the NAS (like the bittorrent, the FTP server, the webserver, the web access...), but this is still a possible use of the device.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

seaton1709

• Calf
« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2010, 09:30:22 AM »

There is another possible issues that I have found with the Twonky and Firefly media servers built into the firmware 1.34, after gaining access to a SSH session as described above, and monitored the logs during startup of the Twonky (UPnP) and Firefly (iTunes) services, I identified that Firefly services started and scanned my large music collection successful the first time and was available in iTunes. However after rebooting, the services then fails to start with a I/O error. This is due to the created Firefly database being copied to //var/tmp directory which is remapped to a  RAM drive that only has ~18Mb avilable on my device. The is a known issue with NAS drives and the old version of Firefly used. If your database file exceed the ammount of RAM drive available then teh startup fails....hence no iTunes. The Twonky server only provides uPNP DLNA services and may be working, but will NOT be picked up by iTunes. You can check by running XBMC or Windows Media Center in Vista or Windows 7.

I have more technical details available and a workaround for remapping /var/tmp drive to a physical location in the startup script in /etc/init.d which allows a large FireFly database >20mb to startup correctly.  I am still investigating what teh impact is on making the /var/tmp persistent rather than a RAM drive.

Some of the technical detail can be found here.. http://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/freenas/viewtopic.php?f=38&p=13304&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

ChouchenLolo

• Calf
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2010, 10:13:53 AM »

@seaton1709

Is this error due to the version of Firefly that is installed with the firmware directly?

Or is due to an incompatible version of Firefly installed automatically by the linkstation from internet on rebooting (like for the issue we have with twonky media server)?

I.e. After a fresh install of the firmware, would making sure that the linkstation is never connected to internet while booting solve the problem?

Cheers,

ndg_uk

• Calf
« Reply #67 on: November 12, 2010, 05:41:14 AM »

So I'm guessing no update from Buffalo as to when this will be fixed?

Pretty shocking....

MarlowUK

• Calf
« Reply #68 on: November 12, 2010, 09:55:38 AM »

I find it shocking that there seems to be quite a few people complaining about the problems with the media server on a few models of Linkstation.

Does anybody know if it's the same problem? I have the XHL and I'm having to restore my linkstation in order before the media shows up.

Is there any timescale for a possible fix?

tejaswi

• Calf
« Reply #69 on: November 21, 2010, 12:28:57 AM »

An updated firmware 1.37 has been released by Buffalo. Has anyone updated their firmware?

Does the new firmware take care of this issue?

franbour

• Calf
« Reply #70 on: November 21, 2010, 05:29:10 AM »

@MarlowUK:

what I find schocking is that if you don'y leave in US Buffalo doesn't want to speak with you. There is no  forum for France so ther is no possibility to have a problem solved : http://forums.buffalotech.com/t5/Storage/LS-WXL-new-firmware-what-a-mess/m-p/36369

@tejaswi:

In the release notes we can only read "Fix an issue that php.ini changed from the Web Admin interface is not reflected in the Web server." I am not sure that this release will solve our problems.

yoshi2000

• Calf
« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2010, 01:43:41 AM »

@tejasiwi: I've upgraded to firmware 1.37. No change. The only fix is on the php.ini problem.

ndg_uk

• Calf
« Reply #72 on: November 26, 2010, 07:47:00 AM »

So I've waited nearly 3 months for an update to the firmware and when one is released it doesn't address the main problem I and others have had with the media server.

I am slowly losing patience with the so called support from Buffalo. 

Can someone from Buffalo answer me a simple question: 

When will a version of the firmware be released which solves the DLNA server issue?

I'm not holding my breath for an answer.  Go on, give us all an early xmas present...make it do what it is designed to do...is that too much to ask?

gizmo91

• Calf
« Reply #73 on: November 26, 2010, 01:30:11 PM »

I just receive this unit today and upgraded from 1.34 to 1.37 (before reading the forums) -- and get the following message when I go to the Media Server tab

"While firmware updating, Media Server update can not be updated completely. Please click 'Update DTCP-IP' button after establishing Internet connection."

I click the Update DTCP-IP button and it goes from Downloading to Rebooting -- but nothing changes, still get this message.  So am I (and it appears others) unable to use the Media Server on this unit?  That is one of the main reasons I purchased it - may have to retun it.

assJack1

• Calf
« Reply #74 on: November 26, 2010, 05:22:07 PM »

@gizmo91

Yeah, I had the same problem.  No matter what was tried, I had to update DTCP-IP or the media server would not start.  Media server started or not, I just could never get it working with the new firmware .  I wish a fix, or some acknowledgement, or something other than silence from Buffalo would happen soon.  I'm was starting to become a big Buf fan, but my patenice is running thin. 

I truely love my other Buffalo system.  True to form, it works as advertised - that is why I was perplexed with a follow-up unit purchaed about two months later.  Been looking at Synology, possibly as my next device, but am holding off until March to see what Buffalo does.

I think this is what has to happen:

1. Acknowldge an issue exists.  (The fact this thread exists can attest to something).
  2. Determine if it's user error or a buffalo problem.  (If it's not Buffalo's fault, but us 'users', then they are off the hook.  But I firmly believe this is not the case).
  3. If it's a user problem tell us what we are doing wrong.
  4. If it's a device problem, tell us if it's part of Buffalo written firmware or an issue related to third party firmware buried inside the unit (DLNA supplier?)
  5. If it's a device problem, tell us what is being done to fix the issue and what can be done now to address this issue.
  6. If it's a device problem, tell us what is being done for future releases to avoid this issue (e.g. more rigorous testing, ...)

(And 'no' I am not going do hack my way in and change scripts.  Silly to do that, when the system should work out-of-the-box.  Buff-Tech can release an EXE to do that patch - not me wasting time).

In the meantime, I'll enjoy my one working system and keep my fingers crossed hoping this issue gets fixed soon.