Author Topic: Upgrading Terastation Pro Hard Disks  (Read 4207 times)

lync-d

• Calf
Upgrading Terastation Pro Hard Disks
« on: September 10, 2010, 04:50:42 AM »

I have recently purchased 4 new 1.5Gb SATA hard disks to upgrade my TS-H2.0 TGL/R5 as I have ran out of space.

When i put the 4 disks in i get a E04 Error and it cannot load.

I remember doing this before with another identicle TSpro but cannot remember how I got it to work.

I know that it needs firmware loaded of something, but the FTP site which is meant to have the TFTP program etc does not work.

Has anyone else done this and can you let me know how to get these new disks working

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: Upgrading Terastation Pro Hard Disks
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 06:35:47 AM »

you dont need the TFTP app.

Insert one of the new HDD's => Reboot TS => Log onto Web Gui and restructure raid. Wait until complete => insert 2nd new HDD => reboot TS => Log onto Web Gui and restructure raid.

Do this will all four HDD in turn and once done you will need to delete and recreate the raid to show the higher capacity.

Bare in mind that upgrading the HDD's in any way will void any warranty and support from Buffalo.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

lync-d

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 08:38:20 AM »

Will try this, tho am almost sure i added just 1 drive yesterday and the only option on the Web Gui was Delete Raid - was scared to do so as the original disks hold backup files of servers for the past 2 years..........

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 08:44:41 AM »

what raid configuration is the Terastation in? If you have all the original HDD inserted does the unit work with issues / errors?

Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

lync-d

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 06:27:58 AM »

I have removed the 4th disk and inserted one of the new disks, the screen on reboot now says:

RAID ARRAY1 E14

Can't Mount

When i go on Web GUI and check the disk management this is the message showing:

An error in a RAID Array has been detected.
Stored data in this RAID Array can`t be recovered because spanning disks are damaged.
Select `Delete Array` to remove this Array.

Reconstruct RAID Array button is greyed out and only the Delete RAID Array button is active.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 06:46:40 AM »

you will need to delete your current raid and recreate a new RAID5 array.

Once done follow the instructions i sent you.

FYI: if you had any data on the TS then it is now gone, i hope you have a backup!

lync-d

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 07:12:25 AM »

Ah here in lies the problem, the current disks have current backup data which we keep for a few years.  What i need is to be able to completely reconstruct the device with the new disks and keep the old ones.

I have done this before a couple of years ago but cannot for the life of me remember how I did it.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 09:12:46 AM »

lync-d wrote:

Ah here in lies the problem, the current disks have current backup data which we keep for a few years.  What i need is to be able to completely reconstruct the device with the new disks and keep the old ones.

I have done this before a couple of years ago but cannot for the life of me remember how I did it.

not with that error you didnt. You will need to do data recovery on the disks then delete the raid.

lync-d

• Calf
Re: Upgrading Terastation Pro Hard Disks UPDATE
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 06:56:12 AM »

Hi i have got a bit further tho not where i want to be.

I have the 4 new disks in, have run the TFTP boot and the machine is now in Emergency Mode, saying EMERGENCY MODE, NO ARRAY INFO.

I have got the TS-HTGL TSUpdater version 1.35 which sees the device and recognizes it has no firmware.

When i clicked on Update it looked great - the screen said updating f/w do not switch off terastation, then the error appeared and does every time i try to run the update:

Can't pass to the authentication

Please confirm again admin-password of the TS-HTGL-EM500

I am slowly going out of my mind :(

dkrus

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 10:15:40 PM »

>>>Hi i have got a bit further tho not where i want to be.

>>>I have the 4 new disks in, have run the TFTP boot and the machine is now in Emergency Mode, saying EMERGENCY MODE, NO ARRAY INFO.

>>>I have got the TS-HTGL TSUpdater version 1.35 which sees the device and recognizes it has no firmware.

>>>When i clicked on Update it looked great - the screen said updating f/w do not switch off terastation, then the error appeared and does every time i try to run the update:

>>>Can't pass to the authentication

>>>Please confirm again admin-password of the TS-HTGL-EM500

>>>I am slowly going out of my mind :(

This is EXACTLY where I am!

Did the TFTP boot

Now in EM

Says No Array Info

Force 1.35 Update

SAME EXACT ERROR.

>Can't pass to the authentication

>Please confirm again admin-password of the TS-HTGL-EMB59

And, this error doesn't come up in searching this database.

mykabra

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 05:02:09 AM »

I have exactly the same problem. Four new, unpartitioned disks in my Terastation Pro II, downloaded the TFTP package from ftp://24.153.165.234/mnt/array1/share/nas-recovery/TFTP%20Boot%20Recovery-TS_ProII-1.20.exe and the Terastation is now booted from this.

I have the latest 1.35 TS-HTGL TSUpdater, yet whenever I try to run it I get:

Can't pass to the authentication

Please confirm again admin-password of the TS-HTGL-EM5AE

I've tried adding "Password = password" to the TSUpdater.ini file, but this appears to have no effect.  I also tried many other possibilities for the password but nothing seems to work.

Stop Press!  The problem is with the 1.35 TSUpdater.  I regressed to the 1.33 TSUpdater, and it worked just fine. The Terastation came up with Japanese language, but that was trivial to fix.   Terastation is now working fine...

Mike.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 09:26:23 AM »
Use 1.33 instead of 1.35. This will solve your issue.