Author Topic: No access to LinkStation Live  (Read 5283 times)

snipsnip

• Calf
No access to LinkStation Live
« on: December 08, 2008, 03:58:18 PM »

Hello.  I've got a HSDH500GL 500 GB Linkstation Live that I've owned since April.  It's been fine til about a month ago - it's turned itself off a couple of times and i woke up one morning and it was beeping constantly.  I was due to take all the data off it this week and do a complete reset on it, and I suddenly can't access it at all.  I can see from my router/modem that it's picking a dhcp address up which I can ping.  I can't map to \\IP\share or \\IP\info  or \\hostname\share or \\hostname\info

Putting the IP address into a browser URL bar doesn't work and running the Nas Navigator software doesn't find it at all.  I've booted it a couple of times and it keeps picking an IP address up but I can't connect to it from any one of 3 computers (2 xp and 1 Vista.)  I know it's not security software on the clients as a - nothing's changed on that, b - it's different on each one i've tried to connect from and c - i've tried turning it all off.  i've tried ftp connection and it's refused.  i'm pretty sure i could crack the drive out of the unit and restore my data from it, but presumably that invalidates the warranty.  can anyone help with this please?  thanks.

Matt_M

• Buffalo
Re: No access to LinkStation Live
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 04:10:32 PM »
It sounds like the drive has corrupted the firmware image, this can happen due to improper shutdowns. If you download the latest firmware for the device from our site you should be able to reflash it and get everything back up and running.

snipsnip

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 04:27:16 PM »
   Hello Matt.  Thanks for replying.  I downloaded hs-dhgl_2.10_005.zip from the website.  It runs an application similar to the NasNavi app, and it tells me it can't find HS-DHGL.  Am I being stupid?  is there a way of flashing it via USB?  Thanks in advance.

Matt_M

• Buffalo
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 04:50:19 PM »
Can't do the flash via USB, but try bypassing the router and plug the unit directly into your computer via ethernet when running the flash.

snipsnip

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 05:00:40 PM »

Good idea.  Doesn't work, unfortunately.  It's lost its DHCP address (can no longer ping it from my PC) and the firmware update util still can't see it.  It's really starting to look like I'm going to have to get the drive out.  Presumably Buffalo would just swap the unit out and I'd lose the data?

Thanks again for putting the time in to reply to me.

monsta

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 05:40:07 PM »

Don't dispair snipsnip - I've just recovered my LS Live which died after an unexpected power cycle. Have a search on buffalo.nas-central.org for a post entilted 'How to debrick your Tera Pro v2/Tera Live in 40 steps' - the TFTP method didn't work for me, but running TSUpdater with a modified .ini file did the trick.

HTH

monsta

snipsnip

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 04:19:07 AM »

Thanks very much monsta, really nice of you.  I'll look that up and let you know how I get on when I get back from work.  The internet's great isn't it?  I'd get precisely nowhere standing on a street corner in London shouting 'my linkstation's broken, anyone know how to fix it?'

Cheers again. 

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 10:31:12 AM »

If you search the buffalo forums forTFTP and firmware force you will find a how to with the links to the software.