Author Topic: Terastation Live E04 kernel load error  (Read 2552 times)

yossarian21

• Calf
Terastation Live E04 kernel load error
« on: September 01, 2010, 08:20:40 PM »

Hello,

I have a Terastation Live HS-DHTGL/R5 2TB NAS, firmware v2.14.  I have two bridged Netgear routers.  I had the NAS plugged in to the slave router, and have been using it fine for a couple of years.  Today, I shut it down, carried it downstairs, and plugged it in to the master router.  When I booted up, it spent a long time on the "Loading kernel..." step.  I could (slowly) browse the filesystem on the NAS and access the admin web page while it was doing this, but then it beeped and displayed the "Unable to load kernel error E04" error and I could no longer access the filesystem or the admin web app.

I went through the resources on this forum and attempted the following:

* EM Boot: successfully booted, but could not access the file system from my PC or the admin web app.  Displayed the usual status messages (IP address, hard disks, hostname with the EM tag in the name).  Can see the NAS using NASNavi but not do anything with it.

* One at a time, remove disks and power on:  Boots up, but displays error message "HDX not detected" mixed with the usual status messages.  Cannot access file system or admin web app.  Can see the NAS using NASNavi but not do anything with it.

* EM boot, then force flash firmware: Firmware download succeeds, writes the new firmware during reboot, then E04 kernel load error again.

It seems like the RAID array is intact, because I can browse the filesystem during the few minutes it spends trying to load the kernel.  It also seems that all the disks are either OK or toast, because removing one at a time yields the same result for each disk.

I would love to try a TFTP boot, but I can't find the image for my NAS.  The link on FAQ 3 doesn't work :smileysad:  Does anyone have an up-to-date link to a TFTP boot image, or suggestions for another way to access the data on the NAS?

Thanks in advance for your help.

yossarian21

• Calf
Re: Terastation Live E04 kernel load error
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 09:23:51 PM »

I found the TFTP boot image here: ftp://24.153.165.234/mnt/array1/share/nas-recovery/

I have the NAS directly connected to my PC via an ethernet cable.  TFTP server did not appear to get a request from my NAS.  Does it look like I set this up correctly?

Preparing to write TFTP configuration settings.
TFTP Configuration settings have been written.
TFTP Server Multithreaded Version 1.4 Windows Built 1.400

Starting TFTP...
alias / is mapped to C:\Documents and Settings\xxxx\Desktop\tftp\TFTP Boot Recovery\
listening On: 192.168.11.1:69
listening On: 127.0.0.1:69
permitted clients: all
server port range: all
max blksize: 65464
defult blksize: 512
default interval: 3
overwrite existing files: No
thread pool size: 1

accepting requests..

pzogas

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 10:09:10 PM »

I just started getting this error on mine as well.

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 10:32:39 PM »

pzogas, did you try the tftp method?