Author Topic: Need Help Please with Itunes  (Read 2133 times)

Wondermike

• Calf
Need Help Please with Itunes
« on: September 01, 2010, 12:07:10 PM »

Hi Guys, i have read a number of threads but cannot find the answer. I currently have the Link Station Duo which 'integrates with iTunes'. 

My goal to to be able to play my music stored on my NAS from several PCs and later on media server such as the Sonos and with every computer having the same library. How do I go about achieving this as I have tried a couple of options and cannot get the NAS icon on to iTunes. I also want to be able to rip my CDs from any of the PCs to the NAS and playback from any PCs. My efforts so far have been in vain!

My understanding also is that I cannot install iTunes on the NAS; is this correct? Your help would be greatly appreciated as to how I can achieve this. Thanks 

damoven

• Calf
Re: Need Help Please with Itunes
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 07:11:38 AM »

I've tried to achieve this myself and had nothing but hours of frustration. I've never been able to access the songs via iTunes as a network resource. The only way I have managed to do it is to store all the tracks on the NAS, and have iTunes add the tracks to its library from the network location. This is bad however because iTunes is really slow when running across the network (at least on my PC!)

I also believe that you can't then use another PC with another install of iTunes and access the same files, but I'm not sure. It's really a minefield and despite being an IT professional I've not been able to get this sorted to satisfaction after months of trying.

Wondermike

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 07:30:04 AM »

Thanks Damoven, 

Have you any idea as to what the 'integration with ITunes' is all about?

What I also find frustrating is that I cannot see the NAS in iTunes on the left hand side as I have read in other threads! As mentioned in my previous post, I have decided to start from scratch again & have transferred all the music folders onto one of the PCs, updated the firmware and still no iTunes which has already been updated. 

Can some please confirm what their experience has been as per original post? 

Cheers

damoven

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 12:48:25 PM »

With regards to your media server settings - I take it the server is enabled on the linkstation in the extensions/media server menu?

I've just started up iTunes 10, and I can see 'NAS:Linkstation' in the shared area. 

andstyles

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 05:21:33 PM »

I'm having a similar problem and I really can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Aim:

have music stored on the Linkstation and played back through PC's on the networking using iTunes (installed on every PC).

My current settings:

media server: enabled (via web admin > extensions > media server)

media server folder: "music" (a shared folder on the Linkstation, where the music is stored)

~linkstation duo, with the music in a shared folder called "music", pc trying to access the music is using iTunes 10~

Results:

The Linkstation shows up in iTunes (in the "Shared" list).  But the library is empty!  The music is not showing.

I am running iTunes 10.  I can browse through the libraries of other PC's currently sharing on the network but Not the Linkstation.  iTunes sees its there, I can click onto the library, but theres nothing in it.

I've refreshed, restarted the media server and still nothing.  Any ideas? :smileysad:

signtech

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 10:17:33 AM »

The Linkstation shows up in iTunes (in the "Shared" list).  But the library is empty!  The music is not showing.

I am running iTunes 10.  I can browse through the libraries of other PC's currently sharing on the network but Not the Linkstation.  iTunes sees its there, I can click onto the library, but theres nothing in it.

I've refreshed, restarted the media server and still nothing.  Any ideas?

I also got the same problem !!!!!! where is the ANSWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!  where the support from Bufflo since this post on 

cheekybeef

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 03:50:50 AM »

I'm having exactly the same problem [with a bit of a difference].

I was able to copy some MP3s as a test to a new folder ['iTunes'] on the Share, and checked that this was enabled under Extensions > Media Server [which it was].

This worked fine on two machines: I could see the Linkstation in iTunes [version 9] and could play the tracks.

However when I turned the Linkstation off and on another day, the tracks were listed, but wouldn't play.

I've since upgraded to iTunes 10 and created a new folder ['MP3'] on the Share, and copied all my MP3s there.

I went through the same process as before, pointing the Media Server at the new folder and check that it was enabled.

Which worked fine - I was able to play the MP3s through iTunes.

However... I left the Linkstation on overnight, tried to access the shared [which is now calling itself 'untitled playlist' until you select it and then it remembers its name] - and it is empty!

This is however working fine on my iBook G4 under OSX 10.3 running iTunes 7. 

I bought this device for ease [and due to its good reviews] and can no way be bothered to keep either logging in and refreshing the server or copying the MP3s each time I want to access it. I don't understand why the setup is only temporary.

Maybe dropping back a version of iTunes might be a fix?

Ben

JohnG999

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 10:00:25 AM »
There are several good tutorials on the iLounge website on consolidating multiple PC's iTunes libraries into a single library that resides on your NAS. It took a while, but I was able to create a single iTunes library on the LS Quad and each PC looks at that library when using iTunes. Main disadvantages are only a single user in the home network can run iTunes at once (iTunes will run, but does not support multiple users, so can corrupt library file) and any laptop will not have access when away from home. I found an app that created an 'iTunes like' interface on the iPhone for NAS based libraries, but it required accessing parts of the LS system that are unavailable to users. Hope that helps some.

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 04:40:22 PM »

This started with the itunes10 update.  This has been resolved with the next itunes10 revision. Download the itunes update and your songs should appear in the folders.

GodHears

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 10:01:52 AM »

drmemory wrote:

This has been resolved with the next itunes10 revision. Download the itunes update and your songs should appear in the folders.

I have the same problem. I can see the share on iTunes but it's empty. I already have the latest version. Anything else I could do? I'm not sure if I'm missing anything, I've just bought this device the other day.

yoshi2000

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 09:14:51 AM »

I also have a linkstation duo on firmware 1.24. Using the latest itunes 10 didn't solve the problem. I still cannot see the shared folder on the left side of itunes.