Author Topic: Streaming to Evoke Flow from LS-WX1.0TLR1WHE LinkStation mini  (Read 2904 times)

binkbenc

• Calf
Streaming to Evoke Flow from LS-WX1.0TLR1WHE LinkStation mini
« on: August 27, 2010, 10:36:48 AM »

Hi - I'm having some problems streaming to my Pure Evoke Flow and wondered if anyone might be able to help. I'm using a Buffalo LinkStation Mini as a NAS media server. I can pick up the music stored on it through my PS3 and in iTunes, but not through the Evoke Flow. When I scan for media servers it identifies the LinkStation and displays the correct name, but nothing happens when I click on the name, it just remains on the server select screen. Also, Windows Media Player can't see the music from my Vista PC - again, it displays the drive okay, but locks up when searching for tracks on it.  It's all running through a Belkin N wireless router. Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Ben

Dustrega

• Big Bull
Re: Streaming to Evoke Flow from LS-WX1.0TLR1WHE LinkStation mini
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 01:10:52 PM »

If what I'm seeing is correct (http://www.pure.com/products/product.asp?Product=VL-60896) then there's a few things I need to touch on pertaining to the problem:

1. This device isn't DLNA compliant and unfortunately since the NAS is serving media to other devices (PS3, iTunes) then it's a problem with the device.
  2. I'm taking an excerpt from the product description: 'Flow technology for internet radio, listen again programmes, podcasts, PURE Sounds, and media streaming from a Wi-Fi-enabled computer.'  A NAS running a Linux based kernel may not be within i's spec.
  3. When accessing a media source for the first time WMP (Windows Media Player) will build a library based off of that source media.  If you have an expansive amount of data (i.e. tracks being identified, categorized and album art downloaded as necessary) it will cause a pretty decent amount of stress and may go so far as to lock up the software.  Short answer WMP needs more time to build that information.

I sincerely hope this has been helpful.  Please post back if you need clarification at all and of course welcome to the forums :)

binkbenc

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 02:43:33 PM »

Hi, thanks for the reply. Regarding WMP, I'm only trying it with about 4 tracks on the LS at the moment for exactly that reason :) Still no joy, though.

I didn't realise it wasn't DLNA certified - it used to stream from my old Lacie ethernet disk mini absolutely perfectly, so I assumed it would work with the Buffalo NAS, too. The Lacie was the noisiest, flakiest NAS I've ever known, though, hence why I splashed out on a new, quiet, reliable Buffalo, and why I'm so gutted that it doesn't actually do what I bought it for. If you do have any other suggestions, please do let me know.

Cheers,

Ben

binkbenc

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 02:56:01 PM »

Slightly OT, but I also get the following error appearing from time to time in NASNavigator:

"some disk information are not obtained"

Any ideas?

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 04:02:45 PM »

In the NAS Navigator does it show a firmware version?  These symptoms seems to indicate that the firmware on the NAS might be suffering from firmware corruption.

binkbenc

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 03:36:21 AM »

Yes, it says it's 1.34. Should I try reapplying the firmware?

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 12:46:33 PM »

Try a force firmware update and then a re-initialization of the unit immediately thereafter.

binkbenc

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 08:14:44 AM »

Hi - I re-applied the firmware, but still no joy. I didn't do it in EM mode - should I have?