Author Topic: Please Help  (Read 3280 times)

ukmadmo

• Calf
Please Help
« on: August 28, 2010, 09:35:47 AM »

firstly Hello to all I'm new to this forum.

Secondly I have a serious (well I think it's serious) problem with my Buffalo HS-DH500GL Linkstation, it was working fine for over 2yrs then one day it wouldn't show up on my Home network or no one else could connect to it, so I took it upon myself to Format the Drive into NTFS but now when i try and turn the power on I get a flashing Red Error light and a tune played at me.

I have tried removing the HDD from the linkstation and putting in my HDD USB Dock but it still doesn't show up in My computer but it shows up in Disk Management. (I am running Windows Vista)

I am at a loose end with this drive now as to where to go next so here I am on Buffalo's forum asking for some help as to what I have to do next

Thanks in advance

Mo

AngelsAbys

• El Toro
Re: Please Help
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 10:05:49 AM »

These units do not have flash codes so what is referenced is to try a TFTP boot.  The drive will not operate under NTFS it needs to be in XFS.  But from describing that it does not show up in "my computer" there may be an issue with the drive itself.  Try to do a quick format once more, than if that work drop the partition and try the TFTP method

ukmadmo

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 10:15:59 AM »

AngelsAbyss will this method still work even though I have formatted the Drive into NTFS through the Disk management within Windows Vista?

AngelsAbys

• El Toro
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 10:17:27 AM »

you will need to deletion the partition so Windows sees the disk as "RAW" or into "FAT32" prior.  It should not matter but using either of the 2 formats listed will help with successful discovery and writing

ukmadmo

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 10:18:34 AM »

ok thank you I will give it a try but this sort of thing is way over my head lol

ukmadmo

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 12:41:45 PM »

Hi Angels I have followed your Instructions to perform the TFTP boot image but the Link you have provided for the NAS TFTP Boot Image is no longer available and I can't find it anywhere else on the Buffalo website.

Please can you point me in the right direction as to where I can findthis for my model HS-DH500GL thanks

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 12:49:37 PM »

It's at the FTP link mentioned in the FAQ (just checked it).  Should be the second download available.

ukmadmo

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 01:16:51 PM »

Dustrega all i get when i click that FTP link is 

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 02:22:52 PM »

Then it's probably a browser issue.  I would suggest trying in FireFox or Chrome (what I used).

ukmadmo

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2010, 02:58:55 PM »

thanks Dustrega i downloaded and installed Chrome and it worked no problem sorry im a bit nooby with these sort of things, now i will go and read the tutorial and hopefully it will work.

thanks again

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2010, 07:02:45 PM »

No worries at all, I'm glad it worked for you ;)

ukmadmo

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2010, 04:26:47 AM »

ok I have followed your FAQ 3 step by step on how to perform a TFTP Boot and everything went as described in the tutorial, however when I update the firmware the Linkstation flashes a RED Error light at me and constantly gives off a 2 tone siren, the LSUpdater just keeps saying waiting on finish of rebooting and then goes to waited 360 seconds with no response do you want to try again?, when I try and find it again it says HS-DHGL cannot be found.

please help I have done everything that has been mentioned and still no joy.

oh I had reformatted the drie into XFS as told to by a previous MOD.

Thanks again

ukmadmo

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2010, 05:17:59 AM »

ok I have tried a second and even third time with still no joy, basically what is happening is when I run the TFTP Boot.exe that part is fine although when the Linkstation boots up the Red Error light starts flashing all the way through this process and I have no way of stopping this.

also when I run the LSUpdater .exe it Transfers the Firmware okay and says its writing it but at this time I now have 2 green lights on 1 being power and the other being Link/Act and I also have an Orange i light on and also the Red error light so I don't know isthis is maybe whats the problem because the Linkstation appears to be in Error mode right from the start.

Once its finished with the Firmware update it reboots the LS but straight away the LS starts playing this 2 tone siren and the Red error light flashes away and then the Firmware updater just sits and says "waiting for finish of rebooting, please wait" and thats all it does.

does this have anything to do with me formatting the drive into XFS or do I need to do something else?

please please help

Thanks again

Mo

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2010, 01:17:20 PM »

ukmadmo wrote:

ok I have tried a second and even third time with still no joy, basically what is happening is when I run the TFTP Boot.exe that part is fine although when the Linkstation boots up the Red Error light starts flashing all the way through this process and I have no way of stopping this.

also when I run the LSUpdater .exe it Transfers the Firmware okay and says its writing it but at this time I now have 2 green lights on 1 being power and the other being Link/Act and I also have an Orange i light on and also the Red error light so I don't know isthis is maybe whats the problem because the Linkstation appears to be in Error mode right from the start.

Once its finished with the Firmware update it reboots the LS but straight away the LS starts playing this 2 tone siren and the Red error light flashes away and then the Firmware updater just sits and says "waiting for finish of rebooting, please wait" and thats all it does.

does this have anything to do with me formatting the drive into XFS or do I need to do something else?

please please help

Thanks again

Mo

Could you specify the pattern please?

ukmadmo

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2010, 09:23:13 AM »

Hi Dustrega just to let you know I got it working again with your help and Tutorial on TFTP boot image.

thanks very much im a happy guy again.

the code by the way was Red E06,

Thanks

Mo