Author Topic: OSX firmware update  (Read 2208 times)

garysb

• Calf
OSX firmware update
« on: August 24, 2010, 12:04:29 AM »

Hi,

I have purchased one of your lovely Link Station Lives (LS-CH1.OTL-AP) and would like to update the firmware for it so that I may access it properly from my iPad, iPhone4 and my wifes HTC Magic.

I have unfortunately not been able to find the firmware updater for OSX, and I know you wouldn't be so daft as to not have created one as you market this as a mac users product (the reason I purchased it). So, could you please provide a link to the OSX firmware updater or a solution to how to update the firmware (remembering I do not own, nor want to own a copy of windows).

Thank you very much for such a great product, and am eagerly awaiting your response.

Gary

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: OSX firmware update
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 05:36:39 AM »

There is no OSX updater, the update has to be done from a Windows OS.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

AngelsAbys

• El Toro
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 08:28:24 AM »

davo wrote:

There is no OSX updater, the update has to be done from a Windows OS.

Davo is correct,  there is no OSX updater available, some persons have had luck using boot camp but please do not rely on this as seeing this is not a sure way to do this since it may be an actual OS but there is still some emulation present

garysb

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 08:38:43 AM »

Any chance I could hear from an official Buffalo employee as to what the reason for not supporting OSX when all the products advertised on the box are Apple products, and when one will be available?

As to using bootcamp, ..., as I mentioned I DO NOT want to purchase windows just to update firmware on my remote storage. I will however accept a link to the linux firmware installation program, as, surly you had the forethought to at least make a linux version (considering your entire development team has to be linux based due to the fact that the storage systems are made using linux).

AngelsAbys

• El Toro
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 08:47:25 AM »

Any moderator is a Buffalo employee, as for the reasoning I will send this up the chain to get a reasoning as to why OSX does not have an updater

tseibert73

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 08:55:12 AM »

Keeping in mind that I am also facing problems with Linkstation in combination with MAC OS X, one might pose the question why Buffalo tech actually advertises this product as MAC OS compatible as in fact it isnt? u/g-ing firmware using a Windows (?) computer doesnt seem an apropriate way of fixing the problem. have never experienced similiar installation problems with any other hardware producer at all.

AngelsAbys

• El Toro
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 09:11:56 AM »

The unit itself does work with OSX, files can be written, read, used as an iTunes media houseing to stream from.  So the unit is compatable with OSX, just not the updater,

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 10:42:20 AM »

As Angels said - all the hardware functions are compatible with OSX on products that have the Mac OS logo on the box.

However, we do not supply an updater for Mac OS for all products. All products with available FW updates, may be updated with supported Windows OS.

We do not support Linux OS with our products.

garysb

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 07:44:05 PM »

Thats rather unfair for 10% of the world that  currently don't use windows.

Is there no way we could find a solution to this? I would hate to have to change from such a nice product just because of something so silly.

Would you not be able to produce a version that works on anything other than windows, or would open sourcing the windows updater be an option as I am sure many people would love to make a version to ran on anything other than windows and it means you wouldn't need to spend any money producing the updaters for anything else?

Or if I could get a petition going to see if your users would like an OSX version, how many people would I need to sign it?

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 08:30:48 AM »

ideas should be presented in the forum idea exchange lounge, where other customers vote on the idea by giving it a kudo - get all your friends to vote, and the idea rises to the top. Buffalotech Japan considers the top ideas.

Be as accurate as you can - don't just ask for a mac updater across all products as Japan may never get to your product. just ask for an updater for your product.

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 12:02:42 PM »
message moved to more appropriate location for lack of content for assisting with thread, and  soapboxing