Author Topic: Trashbox options  (Read 3669 times)

Trakkal

• Calf
Trashbox options
« on: August 23, 2010, 05:13:14 AM »

I have had this LS-L500GL Link Station (Firmware v1.04) for about two years to do a daily backup of up to 3 of my PCs, using the program Second Copy.  This copies new or changed files to appropriate folders in "Share", and deletes older files.  It also has an Archive folder which keeps a selected number of copies of deleted files before finally deleting them.  Unfortunately, the Link Station also has a "Trashbox" which captures all deleted files, but there is no limit to the number of copies kept.  Consequently, it does not take long to completely fill the 500GB HDD unless it is manually cleared quite frequently.

I would really like to disable the Trashbox, but have been unable to find a way using Buffalo NAS Navigator.  From other items in this Forum I suspect I need to access the Link Station through it's IP address (192.168.1.101), but when I try this using IE8 on either my main PC or my laptop (both running XP with all updates), I get this message "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage".  Turning off the XP firewall makes no difference.

Any help will be appreciated.

AngelsAbys

• El Toro
Re: Trashbox options
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 08:38:46 AM »

you would need to access folder via the web admin and disable the trash bins from there

Trakkal

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 06:06:11 PM »

Thanks AngelsAbyss but, as I said in my post, I have been unable to access buffalo admin via the web.  Any ideas?

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 06:20:08 PM »

Does the same issue occur in other browsers such as FireFox?

Trakkal

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 01:30:22 AM »

Not yet.  I'll give Firefox a run and see what happens.

Trakkal

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 01:51:59 AM »

With Firefox I get the following message "The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading."  I have re-tried several times with the same result.

My main computer is connected to the Buffalo by wired LAN through a Linksys 802.11N router with giga-switch.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 12:03:37 PM »

You could try updating the firmware to the 2.01 that is available on the AU website.  That firmware version you have I believe is the initial release firmware.

Trakkal

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 05:52:12 AM »

Thanks Dustrega.   I've downloaded the file and will tell you the result.

Trakkal

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 11:29:13 PM »

I have now installed v2.01 downloaded from the link in Dustrega's post, and WebAccess now works.  However, the pages are unreadable using both IE and Firefox.  Most of where the text should be is just a series of little blank squares - is it looking for a different language?  I have a couple of .JPG screenshots which I had intended to attach here, but this doesn't seem to be an option.

How can I fix this?

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 12:35:29 PM »

Try re-initializing the device from the Web UI and see if that solves the issue with the Web Access page being garbled.

Trakkal

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2010, 08:58:00 PM »

Dustrega wrote:

Try re-initializing the device from the Web UI and see if that solves the issue with the Web Access page being garbled.

Sorry to be so dumb, but how do I do that?

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 12:12:13 PM »

Sorry, I was even dumber and forgot the unit has an INIT button on the back.  With the LS running you can just hold that down for 15 seconds and it serves the same function :)

Trakkal

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 08:14:18 PM »

Dustrega wrote:

Sorry, I was even dumber and forgot the unit has an INIT button on the back.  With the LS running you can just hold that down for 15 seconds and it serves the same function :)

I tried that twice - once for 15 secs, and then 20 secs - but it seemed to make no difference.  What does the Reset button actually reset?  It still appears in NAS Navigator and Windows Explorer, and is still unreadable in IE or Firefox.

Trakkal

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 08:41:01 PM »

Trakkal wrote:

Dustrega wrote:

I tried that twice - once for 15 secs, and then 20 secs - but it seemed to make no difference.  What does the Reset button actually reset?  It still appears in NAS Navigator and Windows Explorer, and is still unreadable in IE or Firefox.

It has been several weeks since I posted this - but no response.   Perhaps I need to start again as an original install.   I thought pressing the Reset button would do that, but it seemed to make no difference.   What else should I do?