Author Topic: Deplorable performance with Terastation Pro II TS-RHTGL/R5 F/W 1.33  (Read 6427 times)

deejay

• Calf

We have a Terastation Pro TS-RHTGL/R5 F/W 1.33 (6tb model) running on a gigabit link to a Dell gigabit switch. The performance of this device is poor at best. We have another NAS device running thru the same switch with no performance issues so I know the switch isn't to blame as some have claimed in other posts concerning this very issue. Replacing network cable yields no increase in performance either. I've read about increasing the frame rate which I've done but still no increase in performance.

Copying a DVD to our other NAS (thru the same switch) took 6 minutes. Copying the same DVD from the same workstation to the Terastation takes 120 minutes. This is unacceptable and essentially unusuable in our work environment. From what I've read on this forum these devices appear to be plagued with performance issues.

Is there anything else that can be configured/reconfigured/checked to yield better performance?

Dustrega

• Big Bull
Re: Deplorable performance with Terastation Pro II TS-RHTGL/R5 F/W 1.33
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 06:04:14 PM »

Did you change the ethernet frame size in the network settings?

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 01:22:06 PM »

Connect the Terastation directly into a gigabit PC with a CAT6 cable and then let us know the actual transfer rate.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

deejay

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 10:16:19 AM »

Dustrega: as stated in my original post, yes I did change the ethernet frame size.

Davo: how is connecting the Terastation directly to a pc going to help? We are a 125 user corporate environment and need this device accessible on our network.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 10:22:36 AM »

Simple, to eliminate the network as being an issue.

Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

deejay

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 11:28:26 AM »

We have another NAS on the same switch and network with no issues whatsoever. The network is not the bottleneck. 

Connecting any NAS to a single workstation will yield good performance and I fail to see how this is going to help. The real test is when multiple workstations are using the NAS which is what it was intented for. I think it's safe to say that the architecture of the terastation is simply not able to keep up with demand in a real world environment. The other NAS on our network cost thousands more but it performs very well. We saved a few thousand dollars by choosing the terastation but we are now seeing that it's not able to handle the workload as well. Consequences of saving a few bucks I guess.... it seems the general consensus after reading this forum is that these Terastations just don't perform well and don't live up to the features stated on the packaging.

any other possible solutions besides changing ethernet frame rate (didn't help)? Any firmware updates on the horizon?

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 03:56:12 PM »

sigh, of course its not your perfect network. Listen, your looking for help, people offer a suggestion and you just brush it aside. I don't know the first thing about your perfect setup but i have seen time and time again that testing it over a direct connection yields interesting results. What is the actual data transfer rate your getting through the network?

deejay

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 04:35:28 PM »

Oh brother....Well it certainly couldn't be the perfect Terastation at fault, now could it. Connecting a NAS directly to the NIC of a workstation will naturally yield better performance. That goes without saying. But these large NAS devices are not intended to be used in this manner so how will this be relevant other than for you to blame our network? Let's assume I connect the Terastation directly to the NIC of a workstation as you suggest. Performance is improved. Now what? Please elaborate on these "interesting results" and how this will help in my situation.

I've increased the ethernet frame size as suggested on this forum to address poor performance related to this model  Terastation which did nothing to improve performance. The only other suggestions offered via this forum (as I've searched and researched) is to replace the cat5/6 cable and switch. I doubt this will resolve the issue but it's certainly a last resort. As I said in my earlier post, other devices -- even another NAS -- are all functioning perfectly and at proper performance levels thru this switch so I don't believe it to be at fault. I've moved the Terastation to a different port on the switch in the off chance that the port was flaky....still no change.

I'm certainly open to reconfiguring the Terastation to gain performance (if possible but the GUI offers little in the way of doing this). I would like to hear of any potential real solutions if there are any.

When can we expect the next firmware update?

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 05:02:44 PM »

I'll repeat Davo's question "What is the actual data transfer rate your getting through the network?"

to your Terastation.

Are you using ethernet port 1 or 2?

Is the TS performing scheduled backups to the other users, while you are conducting your bandwidth tests?

If so, how many are backing up during the BW tests?

I don't have a date on the next FW update, but I'll check.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 05:12:39 PM »

If anything ethernet frame size is recommended to be enlarged only if there are multiple users accessing multiple resources to help increase throughput.  Different users have different setups and what may work for some won't work for all.  I would state that the NIC on the TeraStation might also be bad.  It's possible that you might need to have a replacement setup.

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 05:16:02 PM »

testing the TS with direct attachment to a computer also provides a good test for the NIC itself, to determine if it's going bad.

erismith2005

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 03:18:17 PM »

Are you serious? Of course he is not running backups while performing a transfer speed test.

I wish I done my research prior to purchasing this product. This board and the internet is plagued with complaints about the performance. I was such in a hurry and was interested in the replication feature so I jumped on board.

Unfortunately, I have the exact same problem. Just purchased the Tera station pro and it rediculously slow. Unusable.

I have 4 other NAS devices on the same switch averaging over 75 mbps. The Terastation - 5 - 10 mbps.

I have updated firmware, changed cables, changed ports on switch and TS, change Jumbo frame settings, etc., even plugged into same port where existing NAS that is functioning properly - still no luck. 

I agree that connecting to a PC is pointless and will prove nothing accept that the product does not perfom as expected when attached to a network. 

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 03:18:13 PM »

The thread is about the TS Pro II, and you are referring to a TS Pro (current shipping model).

If you are averaging 5-10 Megabits/second, please call support - TS Pro's are much faster.

deejay

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 05:26:51 PM »

Terastation Pro or Pro II = complete **bleep**.

We wasted a few thousand dollars on this thing (TS Pro II) and it's been absolutely worthless. Buffalo claims it'll work in Active Directory which it does not (you can sort of getting it working in a roundabout way but it's NOT how it's pitched or designed to function), performance is terrible, support is non-existent.

I hope anyone looking at buying these "Terrorstations" finds this forum and the experiences had by the suckers who purchased them BEFORE they waste their money. J-U-N-K.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 08:18:56 AM »

deejay wrote:

Terastation Pro or Pro II = complete **bleep**.

We wasted a few thousand dollars on this thing (TS Pro II) and it's been absolutely worthless. Buffalo claims it'll work in Active Directory which it does not (you can sort of getting it working in a roundabout way but it's NOT how it's pitched or designed to function), performance is terrible, support is non-existent.

I hope anyone looking at buying these "Terrorstations" finds this forum and the experiences had by the suckers who purchased them BEFORE they waste their money. J-U-N-K.

LOL, yet another BS post from you without any subtance, what exact is the issue with AD? All it will do is import users and groups from the DC and you assign permissions.... thats it!!

Also, a few thousand dollars? A few implies more than 2, soo where the hell did you pay $3,000 + for any any TS Pro II?!?

And again, you never actually stated what you were getting on a direct connection. No wait ... Sorry your network could not be the issue.. I forgot.

Put it like this, my Pro II through the network i get a mere 5MB/s but thats enough for my needs, tested on a direct connection i get 30MB/s +.